1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. TRA8324

TRA8324 Senior member

I'm trying to decide between AE Burgundy Shell, I've narrowed it down to Leeds (Blucher Plain), Cambridge (Oxford Brogued), and MacNeil (Blucher Brogued).

Is the Brogued Oxford more formal than the plain Blucher? SHould either of the blucher's be worn with a suit?

If you could get only one pair of shell, which one of these would be most versatile?

I may be biased because I own the shell macneils, but I think they are the best of the 3 you mentioned. I'm not a fan of the leeds at all. Just too plain. The cambridge is nice, but I think it's better with calf because it is a dressier shoe than the macneil or leeds. The macneil is pretty versatile. You can wear it with jeans, khakis, or slacks. The cambridge would probably be too dressy to wear with jeans.

2. LouisD

LouisD Member

I may be biased because I own the shell macneils, but I think they are the best of the 3 you mentioned. I'm not a fan of the leeds at all. Just too plain. The cambridge is nice, but I think it's better with calf because it is a dressier shoe than the macneil or leeds. The macneil is pretty versatile. You can wear it with jeans, khakis, or slacks. The cambridge would probably be too dressy to wear with jeans.

I agree, get the Macneils. I own a pair of used burgundy shell Cambridges myself but I would've bought the Macneils if I was looking at full price brand new shoes. I wear my cambridges with jeans but at 20 years old you can get away with those kinda things [​IMG]

3. Ike

Ike Senior member

Thanks for the quick response/input. Getting stuck with "gilt credit" is my main concern and the main reason I haven't purchased the suit already. However, I am also kind of worried that it will look too dark...I don't want a black suit.

For the record, if you're around a Saks Off 5th or a Nordstrom Rack (I live in MPLS and have both), you can find totally comparable suit prices. With a size such as 38L (I am personally not aware of how uncommon it is, I'm a 40L), you might have more luck than a 40/42R. Century 21 in NYC, or Filene's basement might have similar deals.

I think, frankly, Gilt is a silly way to buy a suit, unless you're young and don't have a lot of cash, and need a cheap john varvatos suit for $200 (or if you know very well how Brunello Cucinelli, for example, fits you). I've been stuck with gilt credit once before and was unhappy about it.

4. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

How much fabric do I need for the lining of a 40R jacket? Half as much if it's half-lined, or a little more?

5. edwinl

edwinl Well-Known Member

Hi, anyone know where can I find thin white rounded laces for dress shoes (which are also white) with just 3 eyelets?

6. Miha28

Miha28 Active Member

I spotted a nice trench coat in a vintage shop. It has a stain on the back side which looks like a bicycle chain grease/lube stain. Is it possible to clean this stain (without damaging the coat if possible)?

Can anyone help me with that?

7. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

You're asking about an unknown stain on an unknown material. If somebody tells you yes/no they'll be only guessing.

8. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Can anyone help me with that?

We need:

Coat brand
    Coat cloth
    Cloth Finish
    Age of Coat
    Aprox age of stain
    Colour of coat
    Colour of stain
    Price of coat
    Discount offered for the damage
    If you have a good dry cleaner near by

Then we could make a semi-educated guess

9. Kenneth Cole Haan

Kenneth Cole Haan Senior member

What would this pocket square (cotton, but in the drake's Mughal tapestry pattern go with?

Suit? Odd Jacket/Tweed? Or nothing at all because a pattern like this should be in silk?

[​IMG]

10. KendallAndKendall

KendallAndKendall Senior member

What is this jacket worth? Today i found a beautiful Brooks Brothers blazer on ebay. However, it is a bit pricey, and I am concerned that i might be paying to much if i purchase the item at the set price. Brand: Brooks Brothers It is 100% wool It is partially lined Those are the only details listed about the blazer. Please help me with the value / worth of this jacket.. Also, what price is too high and what price is too low, etc. Here are the pictures: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Chico2007

Chico2007 Senior member

Has anyone made their own tie?
    When my Grandfather passed away a few years ago, my Grandmother gave me a lot of his things.
    One item is a dark gray cashmere SC. It doesn't fit me at all but I don't want to get rid of it due to sentimental reasons.
    My wife has a sewing machine and I am very handy so I was thinking of trying to make a tie out of it.
    My idea would be to take an old tie, deconstruct it for the pattern and lining and create a new one.
    Has anyone done this?
    Thanks.

12. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    What would this pocket square (cotton, but in the drake's Mughal tapestry pattern go with?

Suit? Odd Jacket/Tweed? Or nothing at all because a pattern like this should be in silk?

[​IMG]

If you like them, wear them. The fabric of a pocket square will not be noticed by anyone but you, and other people on this forum, if at all.

That said, most SFers prefer simpler pocket squares with suits, and save patterns like the one you posted for odd jackets.

13. ndw

ndw Senior member

Has anyone made their own tie?
    When my Grandfather passed away a few years ago, my Grandmother gave me a lot of his things.
    One item is a dark gray cashmere SC. It doesn't fit me at all but I don't want to get rid of it due to sentimental reasons.
    My wife has a sewing machine and I am very handy so I was thinking of trying to make a tie out of it.
    My idea would be to take an old tie, deconstruct it for the pattern and lining and create a new one.
    Has anyone done this?
    Thanks.

I have (for fun), but did it by hand and without a sewing machine. Results were not bad, but getting the tip to be the proper shape/point was pretty difficult. Make sure you take careful note of how the tie is pieced together (when deconstructing the old tie)(it may be helpful to take apart a few to get a comprehensive undertsanding), because it will be more than one piece of fabric and is not quite as easy as it seems.

14. viator

viator Senior member

I'm in the market for a new pair of eyeglasses. Who has the best selection in Manhattan?

15. Kenneth Cole Haan

Kenneth Cole Haan Senior member

Is Shell Cordovan (in the traditional burgundy coloring) really less formal than calfskin? How much so?

16. crider8883

crider8883 Well-Known Member

What is this jacket worth?
    Today i found a beautiful Brooks Brothers blazer on ebay. However, it is a bit pricey, and I am concerned that i might be paying to much if i purchase the item at the set price.

Brand: Brooks Brothers
    It is 100% wool
    It is partially lined
    Those are the only details listed about the blazer. Please help me with the value / worth of this jacket.. Also, what price is too high and what price is too low, etc. Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To figure out if its worth it at a particular price, you really need to determine a few things.

1. Age of the item. Newer is better. Given the shots you posted, this item looks old.

2. Condition of the item. Tweed tends to be more forgiving than other fabrics, but the coat still looks a bit worn to me.

3. How much do you need this type of item. The question of value is really a personal one. If you have 2 tweed jackets already, then this one doesn't have a whole lot of value. Also, if you are going to wear a tweed jacket once a year, also probably not much value.

I've bought several jackets off ebay that SEEMED cheap at the time, but because I ended up just not wearing them, they were expensive at any price. Just be sure of what you're getting, and why you want it. Otherwise you're just throwing money away.

17. KendallAndKendall

KendallAndKendall Senior member

To figure out if its worth it at a particular price, you really need to determine a few things.

1. Age of the item. Newer is better. Given the shots you posted, this item looks old.

2. Condition of the item. Tweed tends to be more forgiving than other fabrics, but the coat still looks a bit worn to me.

3. How much do you need this type of item. The question of value is really a personal one. If you have 2 tweed jackets already, then this one doesn't have a whole lot of value. Also, if you are going to wear a tweed jacket once a year, also probably not much value.

I've bought several jackets off ebay that SEEMED cheap at the time, but because I ended up just not wearing them, they were expensive at any price. Just be sure of what you're getting, and why you want it. Otherwise you're just throwing money away.

Thank you for the quick reply...

1. The age isn't anywhere on the auction. However, it is listed as "Vintage", so i'm assuming pretty old.

3. I do not have a tweed jacket, and this is what i'm looking for. I've had a lot of trouble finding this particular jacket. However, if this is a common jacket, and i just keep overlooking the jacket, i'd like to know.

The price on this jacket is $150, free shipping.

With all personal reasons aside, is the jacket worth this much?

18. crider8883

crider8883 Well-Known Member

Not even close. There are couple people who post on B&S with nice tweed jackets for much cheaper. Wait until you see one you like. Or, take a saturday and hit a bunch of thrift stores in the area. You'll find something substantially similar for around $8.

But of course that's just my opinion.

19. stant62

stant62 Senior member

Can I remove rubber topy soles from shoes? - had them put on but I decided it's not for me

20. ArsenalDan

ArsenalDan Senior member

Should I expect the following problem to resolve itself:

Allen Edmonds #5 last is the slightest bit tight, width-wise, on both of my pinky toes; a slight enough pinch that I would guess a jump from D to E would be to much. Will the leather stretch out as I wear the shoes?