Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mfais

mfais Senior member

i got a shirt mtm locally and its a slim fitting shirt. the elbow area is a bit tight when i try to touch my chin, how do i resolve this? do i tell the tailor to widen the elbow or is it the back?

2. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

Is Zenga pronounced Zenya?

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG] Fashion gods: Towards the end of January, I'd like to wear a grey Hickey Freeman suit to an interview. Total n00b question, but would the above suit be acceptable? I want to be certain that (a) it's an appropriate color for the month/occasion, and (b) I don't look like a total asshole applying for my first lowly teaching job in too nice of a suit. (I paid ten bucks at Goodwill, but according to my, uh, grandfather's tailor, it's ridiculously nice and apparently pretty new). Just don't want to make the wrong impression either way. Thanks.

4. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Senior member

[​IMG]

Fashion gods:

Towards the end of January, I'd like to wear a grey Hickey Freeman suit to an interview. Total n00b question, but would the above suit be acceptable? I want to be certain that (a) it's an appropriate color for the month/occasion, and (b) I don't look like a total asshole applying for my first lowly teaching job in too nice of a suit. (I paid ten bucks at Goodwill, but according to my, uh, grandfather's tailor, it's ridiculously nice and apparently pretty new).

Just don't want to make the wrong impression either way. Thanks.

it doesn't look overly flashy. Just wear a white shirt with a conservative tie and you should be fine. Nice buy

5. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Senior member

okay - so no one answered my question in the other AE threads. I'm looking to get the Park Aves. I generally wear a 10 D (sometimes can be snug). I bought a pair of AE's on ebay but it didn't list the model. I got it for it's color/looks. They were listed as 10D's and fit pretty well.
    [​IMG]

As for the Park Aves - I've read that the last is pretty slim. Should I get 9E's? 9EE's? My foot is 4" at its widest point

6. binge

binge Senior member

Is there a Nordstrom in your area? They often carry Allen-Edmonds. You could try some on there.

If you'd rather take a gamble on some untried shoes, then I'd stick with a size you know that fits, even if it's a different last. If the PAs are snug, you can always take them to a shoe repair shop and have them stretched a bit.

7. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

it doesn't look overly flashy. Just wear a white shirt with a conservative tie and you should be fine. Nice buy

Totally agree.

8. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

noob SFer here... If I wanted to buy 5 pairs of wool slacks (thin and heavy) in one shot, where should I go? Can be unhemmed in size 34 for a guy who's 6'2" ~185 so i'd like the leg to be tapered a bit if possible. Where can I go @ around $70 a pair (if possible, and cheaper if possible).

Try Nordstrom Rack or Loehmans

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Woo! Thanks so much.... That's great news for me. (No answer to your shoe question, but from someone trying on a lot of different used AEs lately, I'll add a big +1 to trying on the exact model from a local store first.)

10. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Both coats you put up are too short for a regular length overcoat. Ulster is a regular length overcoat. I will rest my case here, have fun trying to figure out the name.
    So a coat that has all these characteristics, but is knee length instead of calf length, isn't an Ulster coat?
    • Belted back
    • Patch pockets
    • Military collar
    • Inverse pleat on rear back
    • Buttoned vent
    • Turn back cuffs

11. onix

onix Senior member

So a coat that has all these characteristics, but is knee length instead of calf length, isn't an Ulster coat?
    • Belted back
    • Patch pockets
    • Military collar
    • Inverse pleat on rear back
    • Buttoned vent
    • Turn back cuffs

I would suggest you to ask those from the london lounge, especially a member by the name alden.

12. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

I am watching Choas Theory with Ryan Renyolds and I was wondering if anyone knows what over coat he is wearing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No one?

13. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

It's spelt 'Zegna', and yes it's pronounced 'Zen-Ya'.

14. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

I'm looking to get the Park Aves. I generally wear a 10 D (sometimes can be snug). I bought a pair of AE's on ebay but it didn't list the model. I got it for it's color/looks. They were listed as 10D's and fit pretty well. As for the Park Aves - I've read that the last is pretty slim. Should I get 9E's? 9EE's? My foot is 4" at its widest point
    Park Aves are on the slightly longer and narrower #5 last, but I can't see going down a full size in length from your normal shoe size; ditto for the width. I'm typically a long 9D/short 9.5D (a 9.25D, if you will), and a 9E fits me perfectly in the Park Ave. For your foot, I'd first consider a 9.5E on AE's #5 last. Hope this helps! - Keith

15. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Gnes it is.