• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mickey711

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mickey711
I'm thinking of getting a pair of grey donegal tweed trousers made by Alongkorn Tailors .

The fabric I'm considering is by Drapers, reference 6156 IIRC. Does anyone have any insights as to the quality and performance of Drapers fabrics, and is $360 a reasonable price to pay?

EDIT: Alongkorn Tailors is one of the most storied tailors in the country, but I've had no previous experience with them.

I forgot to add that their prices are cheaper than Chan (at least for suits cut from VBC fabric) for what seems to be similar levels of craftsmanship. Still, I don't have the slightest idea how much Drapers fabric usually runs for compared to VBC, H&S, etc.

I also feel ignored
frown.gif

ArtOrSartor

Reaction score
How do you store a knit tie? I think I may be acquiring one in the next month or so. I am a fan of rolling up my woven ties, carefully, and laying them on their sides on a flat surface. Is this still acceptable for a knit tie, or is it better to hang them?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mickey711
I forgot to add that their prices are cheaper than Chan (at least for suits cut from VBC fabric) for what seems to be similar levels of craftsmanship. Still, I don't have the slightest idea how much Drapers fabric usually runs for compared to VBC, H&S, etc.

I also feel ignored
frown.gif

I hear you, Mickey. Try the cloth thread. And you might find the Donegal suit thread interesting. Drapers ain't cheap.

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArtOrSartor
How do you store a knit tie? I think I may be acquiring one in the next month or so. I am a fan of rolling up my woven ties, carefully, and laying them on their sides on a flat surface. Is this still acceptable for a knit tie, or is it better to hang them?

Roll them. Be warned, though, that I left mine untouched for a about three months and they needed to be laid flat for a while to take the ripple out of them. That may have been a product of sub par ties, though.

Merlino

Reaction score
How do you remove salt stains from shoes? I'm getting conflicting advice when I try and google it.. Does anyone know of an effective measure?

The Day Man

Reaction score
I tried on a jacket today that initially looked like a 2 button. When I got the jacket on I noticed that there was a button hole near the bottom of the lapel and a third button that was covered. The jacket naturally fit with this button completely covered. If I wanted to I could have used the third button but it seemed unnatural. I like it much better as a two button jacket except I am not sure if it would look wrong with the random button hole on the lapel. Is this a normal occurrence or should I avoid the jacket if I intend on wearing it as a two button.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Day Man
I tried on a jacket today that initially looked like a 2 button. When I got the jacket on I noticed that there was a button hole near the bottom of the lapel and a third button that was covered. The jacket naturally fit with this button completely covered. If I wanted to I could have used the third button but it seemed unnatural. I like it much better as a two button jacket except I am not sure if it would look wrong with the random button hole on the lapel. Is this a normal occurrence or should I avoid the jacket if I intend on wearing it as a two button.

I think you are describing a 3 roll 2. A very American look, of which I approve. Button only the middle button, and enjoy.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...iday-suit.html

Friday+suit.JPG

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thejohngalt100
What would be the most appropriate B&S subforum for me to sell a charcoal Burberry peacoat?

If 43L or 44L PM to me.

The Day Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I think you are describing a 3 roll 2. A very American look, of which I approve. Button only the middle button, and enjoy.

Thats it exactly. Thanks for the info on it.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
double breasted wool car coat.

Nowhere close. It's longer than a car coat, is actually shaped (car coats usually are not), ect.

Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
All very well, and largely the same conclusion I came to. Yet, surely this type of coat must have a name. It is almost a polo coat with the belted back and turned up cuffs / patch pockets. Yet it certainly does seem military inspired. Any more leads?

I really don't think it does. It's like each specific variant of lounge suit doesn't have an individual name. It's an overcoat, with an assortment of specifics that categorize it. It's a belted back DB overcoat with a rather dramatic cut.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merlino
How do you remove salt stains from shoes? I'm getting conflicting advice when I try and google it.. Does anyone know of an effective measure?

Vinegar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads