Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mickey711

mickey711 Senior member

I'm thinking of getting a pair of grey donegal tweed trousers made by Alongkorn Tailors .

The fabric I'm considering is by Drapers, reference 6156 IIRC. Does anyone have any insights as to the quality and performance of Drapers fabrics, and is $360 a reasonable price to pay?

EDIT: Alongkorn Tailors is one of the most storied tailors in the country, but I've had no previous experience with them.

I forgot to add that their prices are cheaper than Chan (at least for suits cut from VBC fabric) for what seems to be similar levels of craftsmanship. Still, I don't have the slightest idea how much Drapers fabric usually runs for compared to VBC, H&S, etc.

I also feel ignored [​IMG]

2. ArtOrSartor

ArtOrSartor Active Member

How do you store a knit tie? I think I may be acquiring one in the next month or so. I am a fan of rolling up my woven ties, carefully, and laying them on their sides on a flat surface. Is this still acceptable for a knit tie, or is it better to hang them?

3. thejohngalt100

thejohngalt100 Active Member

What would be the most appropriate B&S subforum for me to sell a charcoal Burberry peacoat?

4. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I forgot to add that their prices are cheaper than Chan (at least for suits cut from VBC fabric) for what seems to be similar levels of craftsmanship. Still, I don't have the slightest idea how much Drapers fabric usually runs for compared to VBC, H&S, etc.

I also feel ignored [​IMG]

I hear you, Mickey. Try the cloth thread. And you might find the Donegal suit thread interesting. Drapers ain't cheap.

5. BoomDiggs

BoomDiggs Senior member

How do you store a knit tie? I think I may be acquiring one in the next month or so. I am a fan of rolling up my woven ties, carefully, and laying them on their sides on a flat surface. Is this still acceptable for a knit tie, or is it better to hang them?

Roll them. Be warned, though, that I left mine untouched for a about three months and they needed to be laid flat for a while to take the ripple out of them. That may have been a product of sub par ties, though.

6. mickey711

mickey711 Senior member

I hear you, Mickey. Try the cloth thread. And you might find the Donegal suit thread interesting. Drapers ain't cheap.

Will do NOBD. Thanks.

7. Merlino

Merlino Senior member

How do you remove salt stains from shoes? I'm getting conflicting advice when I try and google it.. Does anyone know of an effective measure?

8. The Day Man

The Day Man Well-Known Member

How do you remove salt stains from shoes? I'm getting conflicting advice when I try and google it.. Does anyone know of an effective measure?

Good timing. I just read about this today. I can't vouch for it personally though.

http://www.valetmag.com/the-handbook...-shoes.php?rss

9. The Day Man

I tried on a jacket today that initially looked like a 2 button. When I got the jacket on I noticed that there was a button hole near the bottom of the lapel and a third button that was covered. The jacket naturally fit with this button completely covered. If I wanted to I could have used the third button but it seemed unnatural. I like it much better as a two button jacket except I am not sure if it would look wrong with the random button hole on the lapel. Is this a normal occurrence or should I avoid the jacket if I intend on wearing it as a two button.

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I tried on a jacket today that initially looked like a 2 button. When I got the jacket on I noticed that there was a button hole near the bottom of the lapel and a third button that was covered. The jacket naturally fit with this button completely covered. If I wanted to I could have used the third button but it seemed unnatural. I like it much better as a two button jacket except I am not sure if it would look wrong with the random button hole on the lapel. Is this a normal occurrence or should I avoid the jacket if I intend on wearing it as a two button.

I think you are describing a 3 roll 2. A very American look, of which I approve. Button only the middle button, and enjoy.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...iday-suit.html

[​IMG]

11. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

What would be the most appropriate B&S subforum for me to sell a charcoal Burberry peacoat?

If 43L or 44L PM to me.

12. The Day Man

I think you are describing a 3 roll 2. A very American look, of which I approve. Button only the middle button, and enjoy.

Thats it exactly. Thanks for the info on it.

13. zaxer

zaxer Active Member

Which Saphir Pommadier Medaille d´Or color goes best for Allen Edmonds Walnut color?

(Color chart here http://goo.gl/KaEXI )

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

double breasted wool car coat.

Nowhere close. It's longer than a car coat, is actually shaped (car coats usually are not), ect.

All very well, and largely the same conclusion I came to. Yet, surely this type of coat must have a name. It is almost a polo coat with the belted back and turned up cuffs / patch pockets. Yet it certainly does seem military inspired. Any more leads?

I really don't think it does. It's like each specific variant of lounge suit doesn't have an individual name. It's an overcoat, with an assortment of specifics that categorize it. It's a belted back DB overcoat with a rather dramatic cut.

15. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Vinegar.