• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Talk About Replica Watches...

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
As I said, other people's behaviour is not my concern and there is a clear difference between replica and homage. Whether you choose to accept that or not is, again, not my concern.

Don't take this as a personal attack, but what is the "clear difference"? I don't think you've established this yet. As I see it:

One is a 'fake' and one is an 'hommage';

One is a cheaper copy of an original, more expensive design that is trying to be indistinguishable from the original. The other is a cheaper copy of an original, more expensive design that is trying to be indistinguishable from the original, but with the actual maker's name on the face rather than the name of the original's maker... but from a distance it is designed to fool.

Seems like a very small difference to me, and in the spirit of it all, basically no difference at all. I have to agree with Apropos on this one until you can convincingly say why an hommage is significantly better than a replica, when they seem to be trying to cash in on someone else's design or reputation by imitating that.

Stitches is also right - strictly an hommage is a nod to a bygone, classical design, usually from the same maker. Such as the new Longines Conquest inspired by the '60s model of the same name - new watch, old design. When a Steinhart or whatever comes out looking 99% like a current model Rolex, I think that's a bit cynical.

Big T

Reaction score
I would view a Rolex purchased on the street for, say $50.00 a fake and the person who buys one, a poser. On the other hand, there are some very fine Grand Seiko's, that look like Rolex's, but at a cost just a bit over a thousand. Or the Christopher Ward GMT, at around $700.00 (Ward pays homage to the Rolex design look).

For some people, spending $50.00 on a watch is a luxury. For others spending $5,000.00 on a watch is cheap. For most of us on here, we all have a bit of vanity and I'm sure deep down we, at least, want to look like we have good taste, even if we can't pay full price for it. For me, my Tag is fine, as is the Christopher Ward, and multiple Seiko's (and yes, I can easily afford a Rolex, but am too cheap to pay the tariff).

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big T
On the other hand, there are some very fine Grand Seiko's, that look like Rolex's, but at a cost just a bit over a thousand.

Where is this?

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Don't take this as a personal attack, but what is the "clear difference"? I don't think you've established this yet. As I see it:

One is a 'fake' and one is an 'hommage';

One is a cheaper copy of an original, more expensive design that is trying to be indistinguishable from the original. The other is a cheaper copy of an original, more expensive design that is trying to be indistinguishable from the original, but with the actual maker's name on the face rather than the name of the original's maker... but from a distance it is designed to fool.

Seems like a very small difference to me, and in the spirit of it all, basically no difference at all. I have to agree with Apropos on this one until you can convincingly say why an hommage is significantly better than a replica, when they seem to be trying to cash in on someone else's design or reputation by imitating that.

Stitches is also right - strictly an hommage is a nod to a bygone, classical design, usually from the same maker. Such as the new Longines Conquest inspired by the '60s model of the same name - new watch, old design. When a Steinhart or whatever comes out looking 99% like a current model Rolex, I think that's a bit cynical.

I have mixed feelings...part of me agrees with you, but I also disagree for the following reasons:
  1. An homage uses its own brand name and, while it may try to cash in on the aesthetics of a watch, it doesn't try to cash in on the name alone
  2. For the sake of example, consider the Rolex Submariner. Does Rolex have an exclusive grip on that design? Are you saying that the only way I can own that style watch and still sleep well at night is to spend thousands of dollars? For many, that is out of the question. Steinharts are nearly identical, true, but they are quality time pieces and provide a way for one to own a classic style watch for only a few hundred dollars.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
not even close to correct, rolex is the closest of any maufacture to make and assemble every component of every watch they make...

Not entirely true. One of the reasons why I currently have a vintage JLC on my wrist right now is because they make all of their own movements and parts and also make them for other, more expensive brands.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this thread. I am learning a lot about both sides of the argument. Not the fakes but the homages. I am a watch novice and just found out about homages a few months ago. Watchuseek is full of them and I learned about watchuseek from here so I thought they were accepted.
confused.gif

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
An homage uses its own brand name and, while it may try to cash in on the aesthetics of a watch, it doesn't try to cash in on the name alone
There is no significance in the distinction you are trying to make.
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
For the sake of example, consider the Rolex Submariner. Does Rolex have an exclusive grip on that design? Are you saying that the only way I can own that style watch and still sleep well at night is to spend thousands of dollars? For many, that is out of the question. Steinharts are nearly identical, true, but they are quality time pieces and provide a way for one to own a classic style watch for only a few hundred dollars.
Clearly Rolex doesn't have a deathgrip on the design, given the surfeit of fakes/replicas/homages. If you get a Steinhart that looks just like a Rolex Submariner, more power to you, but you need to be aware that you're buying something that is meant to superficially appear like something else, and that qualitatively it makes you no better than someone who buys a fake Rolex to pass it off as the real thing. If you're comfortable with that, good for you. But many people aren't, which is why you have all the following arguments (and more) in an attempt to bargain out of a mental quandary in which the inevitable conclusion was that you were too cheap/poor to get the real deal - "but it haz a SWISS movement!!!", "it's really well made", "it's really good value the original is such a ripoff", "it's indistinguishable from the original", "this is so much better than the original!!". They then meet other similar people on the internet and try really hard to convince each other that they collectively made a good choice - heck - the right choice in choosing the Steinhart over the Rolex. All of the above arguments are smoke and mirrors to help people sleep better at night but if you cut through all that crap it really doesn't detract from the fact that what they really wanted in the first place was a Rolex.

peezie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pastafarian
We care about style.
Nothing's less stylish than a poorly made replica. Many jewelers don't know their ass from most watches, so fooling one with a fake is less than impressive. Replicas are poor simply because they are replicas.
We care about looks.
So, it's OK to wear a fake as long as it looks good? And you accuse Panerai wearers of douchery?
We care about perception.
You actually might, but it's very hard to tell given your troll thread here. Replica watches are the scourge of the industry, made solely to fund poor people in emerging economies. Most all of them are Chinese, which is apparent most times on even a cursory inspection. What's even funnier about them is that many of the subtle details tend to be exaggerated, since that's what catches the eye of the self-centered style over substance douche. Ahem.
boxing[1].gif
Originally Posted by Ahab
I like this thread. I am learning a lot about both sides of the argument. Not the fakes but the homages. I am a watch novice and just found out about homages a few months ago. Watchuseek is full of them and I learned about watchuseek from here so I thought they were accepted.
confused.gif

Homage is nothing more than a euphemism for fake. Don't let people trying to tell themselves they are doing something honorable in owning a fake under the auspices of paying tribute to a watch convince you of the same. People making fakes and homages do not have your best interests in mind.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
All of the above arguments are smoke and mirrors to help people sleep better at night but if you cut through all that crap it really doesn't detract from the fact that what they really wanted in the first place was a Rolex.
OK, I am new to this but a lot of the guys at watchuseek who have replicas also seem to have a stable of Rolex's and other "Original" watches as well.

Also I love King Seiko's but someone said they are a homage as well?
confused.gif

Phiberglass

Reaction score
Cheeseballs wear replicas.

Replica ≠ Hommage.

I'm wearing a Panerai homage watch by some company that uses their own parts and pulls from a design. I could see where you guys are coming from, as I prefer to own 'the real deal' for many other hobbies. But I like the watch because it's a good looking piece and keeps time fine. I'm not going to spend $15k+ on a Panerai, would much rather spend that on my other vices. Different for everyone.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by peezie
Homage is nothing more than a euphemism for fake. Don't let people trying to tell themselves they are doing something honorable in owning a fake under the auspices of paying tribute to a watch convince you of the same.

People making fakes and homages do not have your best interests in mind.

I am such a watch n00b.
blush.gif

But I will say that the homages have gotten me into Rolex's which I never liked before.
teacha.gif

peezie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pastafarian
I can't imagine someone confronting me like that in real life. And if they did I am not one of those people that feel inclined to answer every question.
I wouldn't be either if I were as willing to embarrass my self as you are.
Are homages the cover band of watches?
More like the Asian doing karaoke covers of Springsteen. Seiko BTW may make watches that look like others, but they're a (generally) respected brand that stands on its own.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I am new to this but a lot of the guys at watchuseek who have replicas also seem to have a stable of Rolex's and other "Original" watches as well.
I was referring to a particular watch and its replica - rare as rocking horse **** are the folks who spend $11000 on a real deal Submariner (or $110000 on a PP) and then an additional $200 on the Steinhart 'homage', unless of course they are dicks and doing it as a joke at the expense of the Steinhart.
lol8[1].gif
Also I love King Seiko's but someone said they are a homage as well?
confused.gif

Grand Seikos are an odd one - from a technical viewpoint they can clearly stand on their own 2 feet but stylistically they appear (for some models) IMO to have fallen to the temptation of copying other (disparate) designs from more established companies in what was probably an attempt to quickly gain market share by being everything to everyone. The unfortunate side effect is that the rest of the GS line get tarred, and the whole marque suffers as a result.
Are homages the cover band of watches?
Yes, except the original company gets no royalties.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley

You can find a number of, say, dive watches that resemble Subs and I wouldn't call them hommage pieces, necessarily. The makers or marketers are just following a popular trend and style, much like clothing designers do..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads