Let's Talk About Replica Watches...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Pastafarian, Sep 30, 2010.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Maybe you didn't get a fake. If I were you I'd convince myself it was 'hot' - i.e. the real deal.

Not that I know of - that's why it's called a manufacture movt. Personally not my taste as it's a bit of a gimmick and hard to read the time.

manufacture movement simply means that a company maufactures the entire watch in hosue as opposed to buying components from outside sources and tweaking and assembling them afterwards. it does not imply that a certain complication is specific to that company

2. apropos

apropos Senior member

If the look of a thing is important to you, as opposed to the thing itself, then you're probably a fake kind of guy.
    Precisely.

It's funny when you have members here who have never owned a decent (real) watch making claims like this...
    It would be really interesting to have all the folks here way say that fakes are cheesy feeling or look like crap participate in a small test where they would distinguish between real and fake watches mixed together. Would the success rate be superior to 50% right? Id be willing to bet no!
    ...which really only shows how little they know about watches.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

It's true. The average person on the street knows next to nothing about watches.

4. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

Precisely.

It's funny when you have members here who have never owned a decent (real) watch making claims like this...

...which really only shows how little they know about watches.

Interesting! Do you know this as a fact?

What makes a decent? Is it the longevity, the metallurgy/materials used.....the name.......or maybe the price you paid?

5. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

If the look of a thing is important to you, as opposed to the thing itself, then you're probably a fake kind of guy.
    I would never buy a fake, but that statement is rather stupid. For some of us, a watch is just a watch. Nothing more. So, if an aesthetic pleases the eye and it tells time, who cares?
    Interesting! Do you know this as a fact? What makes a decent? Is it the longevity, the metallurgy/materials used.....the name.......or maybe the price you paid?
    Mostly the latter, I'd imagine. It's nothing more than a status symbol for most people, and that includes watch aficionados. I have my grandfather's vintage Rolex and PP, and while I treasure them for sentimental reasons, I must say that my Casio Pathfinder keeps better time and is more reliable than either. Hell, they aren't even good looking watches.

6. apropos

apropos Senior member

What makes a decent? Is it the longevity, the metallurgy/materials used.....the name.......or maybe the price you paid?
    Well, for starters, probably nothing you own. Some get it, others don't.
    So, if an aesthetic pleases the eye and it tells time, who cares?
    Fair enough, but what happens then if the aesthetic is essentially a complete replica of another except for the name on the dial? It can bother others on many different levels.

7. in stitches

It's true. The average person on the street knows next to nothing about watches.

+1
    it pains me so terribly to read most of these watch posts, if people bothered to learn about what really goes into a real watch (some watches spend 5+ years in R&D and many take months or more to be manufactured by expert watch makers) they might think twice about some of the things they profess. if you only care about looks fine get a watch that suits you. but please i beg everyone dont make absurd comments about the value or complication of a real high end watch if you know absolutely nothing about what goes into it. and if you compare anything with a battery to a mechanical watch saying they do the same thing you are only displaying your watch ignorance to the world. yes a quartz watch keeps time better but that is not why you buy a good watch, do you really notice if your watch looses 1 second a day or 10?
    im sorry to rant like this but its just one of those things that gets to me

8. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

As far as fake watches go, they belong in the same category as everything else fake:
    Fake tits.

How can you be against this? What if a woman has had breast cancer and wants a breast reconstructed?

9. apropos

apropos Senior member

How can you be against this? What if a woman has had breast cancer and wants a breast reconstructed?
    Another stupid argument. You're seriously comparing your choice of purchasing a fake watch with someone who has reconstructive surgery?

10. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

Well, for starters, probably nothing you own.

I shouldn't but......

Have I hit a nerve?

11. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

+1
    it pains me so terribly to read most of these watch posts, if people bothered to learn about what really goes into a real watch (some watches spend 5+ years in R&D and many take months or more to be manufactured by expert watch makers) they might think twice about some of the things they profess. if you only care about looks fine get a watch that suits you. but please i beg everyone dont make absurd comments about the value or complication of a real high end watch if you know absolutely nothing about what goes into it. and if you compare anything with a battery to a mechanical watch saying they do the same thing you are only displaying your watch ignorance to the world. yes a quartz watch keeps time better but that is not why you buy a good watch, do you really notice if your watch looses 1 second a day or 10?
    im sorry to rant like this but its just one of those things that gets to me

OK so this is true of many high end watches but what about all those other watches such as breitling (sp?) et al Rolex, whatever that use generic eta movements such as a 2892 but still charge top dollar. Genuine swiss 2892s and the like are not expensive and can be and are used everywhere including fake automatics

12. apropos

apropos Senior member

OK so this is true of many high end watches but what about all those other watches such as breitling (sp?) et al Rolex, whatever that use generic eta movements such as a 2892 but still charge top dollar. Genuine swiss 2892s and the like are not expensive and can be and are used everywhere including fake automatics
    LOL gentlemen we have a watch expert here who claims that >50% of people can't tell real/fake Hublot big bangs apart but who isn't sure of how to spell Breitling.

13. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Well, for starters, probably nothing you own.

Some get it, others don't.

Fair enough, but what happens then if the aesthetic is essentially a complete replica of another except for the name on the dial? It can bother others on many different levels.

You make a valid point. Like I said, I would not do fakes because of a variety of reasons, one of which is questionable quality.

However, I would also be remiss to not admit that most art is inspired, with very few original exceptions. Even amongst the big players that people pay big bucks for, there is a lot of similarity and "inspirations".

Some inspirations, however, are built well with enough differentiating factors to stand alone. Sea Gull comes to mind, where their models have bits and pieces borrowed from other watches, with additional original elements added. And they are built well, and even Swiss watchmakers have acknowledged this. Not outstanding, but well enough, especially considering their price points.

It is no different than Walgreens selling their brand equivalents next to the real thing, at a cheaper price point. At best, somebody disagrees on a philosophical level that I won't even bother to understand.

14. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

The basic movements by themselves are only part of it -- the other part of it is how much watch houses customize and extend the movements. That is not an easy task. I know next to nothing about watches, but I would be an idiot to think that just because two watches use the same movement, they are the same.

15. in stitches

not even close to correct, rolex is the closest of any maufacture to make and assemble every component of every watch they make, they are an outstanding and highly technologically advanced company.
    as far as breitling, tag, .. yes many of their movements are bought from eta and the like but as others have pointed out they make many and sometimes significant changes to them
    however some are straight up plugged in and personaly i woulnt buy one.