• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Talk About Replica Watches...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
+1 it pains me so terribly to read most of these watch posts, if people bothered to learn about what really goes into a real watch (some watches spend 5+ years in R&D and many take months or more to be manufactured by expert watch makers) they might think twice about some of the things they profess. if you only care about looks fine get a watch that suits you. but please i beg everyone dont make absurd comments about the value or complication of a real high end watch if you know absolutely nothing about what goes into it. and if you compare anything with a battery to a mechanical watch saying they do the same thing you are only displaying your watch ignorance to the world. yes a quartz watch keeps time better but that is not why you buy a good watch, do you really notice if your watch looses 1 second a day or 10? im sorry to rant like this but its just one of those things that gets to me
confused.gif

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
However, I would also be remiss to not admit that most art is inspired, with very few original exceptions. Even amongst the big players that people pay big bucks for, there is a lot of similarity and "inspirations".
Fair point, but there is a difference between being 'inspired' by a certain design, and hitching your wagon onto someone else's horse and running an entire business/industry on the premise of replicating designs others came up with, with just enough minor changes to protect you from IP claims.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Fair point, but there is a difference between being 'inspired' by a certain design, and hitching your wagon onto someone else's horse and running an entire business/industry on the premise of replicating designs others came up with, with just enough minor changes to protect you from IP claims.
I think we're on the same page on this one -- I wouldn't buy something with just a different name stamp of questionable quality. At least, not knowingly. However, I *would* buy something that was truly inspired and was built well. But I am not going to question those who would do the former, because at best, I'm indifferent to the whole thing.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's true, some homages do that, apropos, but many don't. There are many that create some really excellent quality/built watches. I have no problem with those. There is choice out there and the choice is yours.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only other thing I'd add is this -- we're in the 21st century, where we can manipulate matter at nano and pico scales, and where things like microprocessors and LCD screens are mass manufactured with astounding levels of QC.

It would be a rather ridiculous notion to assume that this couldn't be extended to watches -- in fact, this is happening today. Folks may pay surreal sums of money for the prestige and handiwork of a master craftsman. While that is understandable, it would be stupid to think that equal (or even better) quality watches may not be available at much lower price points.

Just because they are inexpensive is not a valid enough reason to think such products are inferior.

With China entering the market with quality products, Swiss (and other high end) watchmakers may be heading for another "quartz crisis" in the watch industry.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
The only other thing I'd add is this -- we're in the 21st century, where we can manipulate matter at nano and pico scales, and where things like microprocessors and LCD screens are mass manufactured with astounding levels of QC.

It would be a rather ridiculous notion to assume that this couldn't be extended to watches -- in fact, this is happening today. Folks may pay surreal sums of money for the prestige and handiwork of a master craftsman. While that is understandable, it would be stupid to think that equal -(or even better) quality watches may be available at much lower price points.

Just because they are inexpensive is not a valid enough reason to think such products are inferior.

With China entering the market with quality products, Swiss (and other high end) watchmakers may be heading for another "quartz crisis" in the watch industry.

+1

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
It's true, some homages do that, apropos, but many don't. There are many that create some really excellent quality/built watches. I have no problem with those. There is choice out there and the choice is yours.
That's fine, but when people get these homages, they shouldn't self-soothe by telling themselves on public internet forums that their homage is no/little different/virtually indistinguishable from the real thing, or put forth that the homages they buy are well-made/well-crafted/made with good metals because well, it would be like... ...someone buying a (well-made) fibreglass replica with a Hyundai engine and going up to a Ferrari owners meetup and telling them all of the above, or that my engine is better because it's more fuel efficient. It just doesn't fly, and the striving/denial that is evident is really painful to watch. Think about it - how often do you see PP/Lange owners attempting to justify their watches to Invicta/Sea Gull owners, and how often are the people touting the 'it's all overpriced anyway' or 'my $200 watch does all of that and more' or 'it's a watch it tells the time accurately' arguments actually able to afford the IWCs/Rolexes/Hublots/PPs that their homage watches attempt to replicate? You really only have a choice if you can afford all the options, and if you can't that's alright. But don't go justifying your homage watch by coming up with some argument that presupposes you actually had the luxury of choice in the first place and your decision to go with the homage was a logical or well-reasoned one when you likely never had the option to pick up the real thing in the first place.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a difference between a homage and a replica, though. How people behave with said homage watch is not my concern and shouldn't be yours either.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
not even close to correct, rolex is the closest of any maufacture to make and assemble every component of every watch they make, they are an outstanding and highly technologically advanced company.
as far as breitling, tag, .. yes many of their movements are bought from eta and the like but as others have pointed out they make many and sometimes significant changes to them
however some are straight up plugged in and personaly i woulnt buy one.

i know its a douche move but i hate being the last post on a page so im bumping myself i hope i can live with myself

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a difference between a homage and a replica, though. How people behave with said homage watch is not my concern and shouldn't be yours either.

Indeed. And let's face it, there will always be a subset of people who cannot own what they covet and will compensate through any number of measures of self-delusion.

To disregard quality homage watches from good watchmakers on the basis of the immaturity of such a populace is disingenuous at best.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You keep stating this like it's fact, which it isn't.

There is such a massive overlap between homages and replicas (look at that Panerai 'tribute' 2 posts above) that really any attempt to draw a line in a sand and say that hey this is a replica and that's a homage is a DOA idea. I'd be willing to wager that the watches that err mostly on the side of replicating the look/feel of the original are the best sellers in the stable of homage/replica watches.

And of course it's a matter of concern for you whether you realise it or not, because like everyone else who buys a homage watch you self-soothe with the arguments I mentioned earlier.

People somehow 'get' that a Ferrari is better than a Hyundai despite both being able to get you from A to B, but it appears with watches the application of the same logic often fails, with this thread being the consequence.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I said, other people's behaviour is not my concern and there is a clear difference between replica and homage. Whether you choose to accept that or not is, again, not my concern.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
You keep stating this like it's fact, which it isn't.

There is such a massive overlap between homages and replicas (look at that Panerai 'tribute' 2 posts above) that really any attempt to draw a line in a sand and say that hey this is a replica and that's a homage is a DOA idea. I'd be willing to wager that the watches that err mostly on the side of replicating the look/feel of the original are the best sellers in the stable of homage/replica watches.

And of course it's a matter of concern for you whether you realise it or not, because like everyone else who buys a homage watch you self-soothe with the arguments I mentioned earlier.

People somehow 'get' that a Ferrari is better than a Hyundai despite both being able to get you from A to B, but it appears with watches the application of the same logic often fails, with this thread being the consequence.

imho i think with watches when a company remakes its own watch from an earlier period its a homage, when one company goes at the watch design of another its concidered a replica regardless of its quality looks... most companies consider their designs to be sacred and dont appeciate much when others try to remake them

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads