• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

kjamesuvic

Reaction score
How do I post pictures in a thread. I read the FAQ's on it and they didn't help much. I tried using the insert image function but that just links to my flickr account. Also tried embedding html between
but to no avail. Any help? PM me if possible. Thanks, gentlemen.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kjamesuvic
How do I post pictures in a thread. I read the FAQ's on it and they didn't help much. I tried using the insert image function but that just links to my flickr account. Also tried embedding html between
but to no avail. Any help? PM me if possible. Thanks, gentlemen.

Have a look at this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=1937

muffintop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
How difficult is it for a tailor to shorten the arms with functional buttonholes?

Is it going to be an expensive alteration?

I assume you're talking about shortening the sleeves on a jacket with functioning buttonholes? The tailor can either shorten the sleeves from the shoulder, which could be fairly intensive/pricey or attempt to rework the bottom of the sleeve. In the latter case he would likely need to put in a new button hole unless there is already ample room between the end of the sleeve and the first button where he would be able to "remove" some fabric without adjusting the buttons/holes.

netovargas90

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a jacket. Some background info, I am 19/student. I already own a blazer and a khaki sportcoat, but I'm looking for something more substantial. What is a good first sportcoat to buy? I'll most likely wear it with khakis/jeans (maybe the occasional pair of flannel trousers for anything slightly dressier).

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by netovargas90
I'm looking to buy a jacket. Some background info, I am 19/student. I already own a blazer and a khaki sportcoat, but I'm looking for something more substantial. What is a good first sportcoat to buy? I'll most likely wear it with khakis/jeans (maybe the occasional pair of flannel trousers for anything slightly dressier).
Best bang for your buck: Anderson Little. Failing that, get a nice tweed. They're all over the place here and on AAAC's trad thrift exchange.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a belt to match these shoes:

IMG_4127-2.jpg

I think the color I'm looking for is referred to as "Cognac," and while I seem to have found a couple examples online, I can't find one in size 30. Anyone know where I can find one?

tl;dr: need a cognac belt size 30

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
I'm trying to find a belt to match these shoes:

IMG_4127-2.jpg

I think the color I'm looking for is referred to as "Cognac," and while I seem to have found a couple examples online, I can't find one in size 30. Anyone know where I can find one?

Coach has a wide selections of belts starting from 28. My size is 29-30, and I have about 10 belts from them in all shoe colors (except for a blue suede
confused.gif
)

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Coach has a wide selections of belts starting from 28. My size is 29-30, and I have about 10 belts from them in all shoe colors (except for a blue suede
confused.gif
)

Where are you finding this? It doesn't seem to exist on their website.

lureynol

Reaction score
Two quick questions:

In the classic rules of mens dress, how many inches is the waistcoat supposed to overlap the trousers?

Small symmetrical tie knots? Do they exist?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you finding this? It doesn't seem to exist on their website.

I got most of them from a Coach factory store nearby at various points. I'm not sure if they have that color right now though. A couple I got from ebay for very cheap.

NerdiusRex

Reaction score
What is the most appropriate kind of jacket to wear in the (New England) winter over a sports/suit coat?

Also is it OK to wear khaki colored pants all winter?

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to get a "formal" shirt that I can wear with a bowtie.

AFAIK, at a minimum the shirt will have a point collar and be in a pique weave. Since I don't want to use studs and instead want buttons, what is my alternative for cuffs/placket? Can I do french cuff + covered front placket?

Also, would royal oxford be an option aside from pique?

cardguy

Reaction score

If you find a belt that you like but it is only offered in sizes that are too large for you, you can usually get the belt shortened at a cobbler/shoe repairman. Shouldn't cost you more than $5 or $10.

thebunk

Reaction score
Quick question. I lost about 25lbs and now some of my sports coats are now too big. Was a 44r and am now a 42r. Is it possible for a tailor to bring in a jacket by 1 to 2 inches in the sides and if so, is it usually costly?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads