• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kensington
What are ideal measurements for a shirt? I have a 37" chest (38" breathing in). What would be the ideal actual measurement for the chest of a shirt? Is there a general rule of thumb like 2" above your actual chest size?

I have the same chest measurements. I generally go 38 for t-shirts (skin tight), then 39-40 for dress shirts (slim but breathing room) and about 38 inches for suits (ie a 36 jacket).

Originally Posted by PatTheBaker
be34153589.jpg

Could someone tell me what brand of shoes these?

+1 on Aldens. Not sure the exact model though.

Originally Posted by RJNavarrete
What should I wear with this tie? Colors and fabrics-wise...?
22535.jpg

I'd say wear it casually with an oxford cloth, maybe a button down or something fun like a club collar. besides white, light blue, or even an oxford cloth bengal stripe with yellow or pink or red would work. Could easily go under a sweater too.

tightandbright

Reaction score
So I want to buy a pea coat and I'm super low on cash
frown.gif
. I found this coat on Macy's, but it looks GIANT on the guy in the pic (I'm very slim 5'11 130 lbs)... I don't want to deal with the hassle of returning it if it's too big. I'm a young guy so I'd look ridic if I wore baggy clothes. Would the small size be too big for me? http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...tegoryID=25675

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what season this WWM jacket is from? I'm trying to find a fit pic and, apparently, it's not from this year?

R0011047.jpg

J Alfred Prufrock

Reaction score
I am shopping for a classic wrist watch (as opposed to scientific or multiple dial watches.) Which is preferable?

1) A square face or a round face?

2) In the under $200 range Seiko or Bulova?

My thoughts are: round face is more flexible as I think it looks ok with a suit or with casual clothes, while a square face seems to only look right with a suit. But I know nothing of these things.

Just watched the Thomas Crown affair and noticed that Bronson was wearing a great looking square faced watch - actually rectangle, but you get my point.

Over the years various James Bonds have worn Seikos. But Seiko is Japanese, and I like to buy American, although now days both are likely made somewhere in the Pacific Rim.

I wanna be as cool and elegant as Bronson and the other Jame Bonds, which seems to point to a square Seiko. But I also want a watch that I can wear with a polo shirt and not look in congruent.

Straighten me out.

thecentennial

Reaction score
What is a "bal" shoe? I've bought a pair, but I don't know what "bal" refers to..?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I have a 31'' waist. How many inches of extra material should I have at the waist on a shirt? Picked up this Bastian shirt at the Gant sale a couple weeks ago. It fits perfectly in the shoulders and chest. But it might be to roomy in the waist.
5148966784_427ed76205_b.jpg

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this is a longer question than I have intended, but I am so to speak a noob to buying nicer end clothing off of ebay (as perhaps previous mentioned). What are kind of the tips and tricks or rules to make sure you aren't getting ripped off/a fake product. I tend to to just look for sellers with the best feedback and if they have a report of a fake, I remove that seller from consideration.

For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LORENZINI-BLUE-C...item58897a16c7

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ermenegildo-Zegn...item1e5f771ff7

These two look legit to me, but perhaps my eyes are untrained. Any thoughts on ebay buying in general and the shirts in question?

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gauss17
Perhaps this is a longer question than I have intended, but I am so to speak a noob to buying nicer end clothing off of ebay (as perhaps previous mentioned). What are kind of the tips and tricks or rules to make sure you aren't getting ripped off/a fake product. I tend to to just look for sellers with the best feedback and if they have a report of a fake, I remove that seller from consideration.

For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LORENZINI-BLUE-C...item58897a16c7

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ermenegildo-Zegn...item1e5f771ff7

These two look legit to me, but perhaps my eyes are untrained. Any thoughts on ebay buying in general and the shirts in question?

Those shirts look terrible, regardless.

Swordfish

Reaction score
My question is, which site has the most complete collection of Barker Black shoes?

I've checked Nieman Markus, but not a lot there.

Thank you!

Ted

Originally Posted by chasingred
Those shirts look terrible, regardless.

thrice

Reaction score
I have a navy suit, and I'm thinking about cuffing the pants. The problem is that I have short legs compared to my torso. Will it shorten og lenghten the apperance of mye legs?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thrice
I have a navy suit, and I'm thinking about cuffing the pants. The problem is that I have short legs compared to my torso. Will it shorten og lenghten the apperance of mye legs?

I too have a longer torso than my legs, and because of this I don't cuff my pants. However, I think you could put a small cuff on your suit pants and it will probably look fine. One nice thing is that if you do have them cuffed, should you not like it you can have them uncuffed again by a tailor.

EZ

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads