• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I suggest a Karnac format for this thread.

I'll start:

Numb nuts.

- B

Welcome to AAQGAA, I look forward to more of your posts.

EZ

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
What's a Karnac format?
Wow, now I feel old. Oh, yeah. "What you get when breaking in APC jeans."

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oakcircle
Two quick questions. I'm looking at some pebble grain monk strap shoes on ebay. Is pebble grain a dated look, or is it still "fashionable"?

Personal taste. Leathers are really nowhere near the be all and end all of a shoe. Pebble grain can be done well or it can be done badly, and tastes will vary. I consider pebble/scotch grain gunboats to be stodgy and ugly, others look at them as works of art.

I would think that something like a plaintoe monk with an interesting leather could be nice.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oakcircle
Two quick questions. I'm looking at some pebble grain monk strap shoes on ebay. Is pebble grain a dated look, or is it still "fashionable"?

I remember reading a thread about a place that does a great job altering shirt sleeves and shoulders, but I've not been able to find it again. Anyone know the company or link the thread? Thanks.

#1: Pebble grain is neither dated nor fashionable, it is purely a matter of your personal aesthetic. I feel that they are a bit more informal than regular calf, and they tend to give off a 'countrified' aire. Pebble grain shoes look great with flannel, donegal, corduoroy, etc. [in other words, textured materials].

#2: Although I don't know of a place, the price you would pay to get that kind of work done hardly seems worthwhile.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody here familiar with Takumi sizing? Is it more similar to American brands, or does it run small like most other stuff made in Japan? I'm specifically interested in how their dress shirts fit.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dark chambray shirt and camel/khaki blazer. Good look, bad look, or meh?

chamb.jpg

(Don't mind the stupid poses)

spagnutty

Reaction score
Is there any place I'd have a snowball's chance in hell of finding a seersucker suit in something close to a size 34?

Plait

Reaction score
I'm getting some new Dockers khakis. The size I usually get is around 32x32 but they don't fit perfectly (a little too long). I want to measure my inseam length so I can buy the right size. What is proper way to measure the inseam ? I read different explanations on different sites. Some say its from the pubic bone to the bottom of my foot right under the heel bone. Some say its from the front on my thigh next to the bottom of the crotch to my ankle. BTW I'm about 5 feet 9.5" tall.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Plait
I'm getting some new Dockers khakis. The size I usually get is around 32x32 but they don't fit perfectly (a little too long). I want to measure my inseam length so I can buy the right size. What is proper way to measure the inseam ? I read different explanations on different sites. Some say its from the pubic bone to the bottom of my foot right under the heel bone. Some say its from the front on my thigh next to the bottom of the crotch to my ankle. BTW I'm about 5 feet 9.5" tall.
The best way: wear a pair of pants that fit the crotch area nicely. turn the cuffs up to where you like them to be (mine is half way between the ankle and the floor). Then measure the inseam of the pants.

gezuz

Reaction score
With regards to building up a shoe collection:

I recently purchased my first pair of nice shoes, some Alden x Blackbird wingtips. The next pairs I have are Goodwill-ed Dexters and Floshiems. How should I go about building a solid rotation? I'm thinking about some 3x worn Allen Edmond Perry captoes from another SF user, and a pair of black Aldens at Brooks Brothers and sort of seeing where I'm at after that, but some input would be great.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads