• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so how big of a deal is it to wear the same leather soled dress shoes at work every day?

i've heard people say they need time to breathe or something after wear, but its the only pair I have. if it makes a difference, i really only walk to and from the car, and then around in circles in the office. they dont get worn on weekends.

Thanks!

gezuz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
First off, Mabitex are awesome, and you should definitely scoop some up while these deals are around.

You buy one pair in your waist size. You don't need to know your inseam, because none of these trousers are finished -- you'll have to take them to be hemmed.

The knee, thigh, and leg opening measurements are sort of irrelevant unless you have bodybuilder thighs; they're an indication of how slim the pants are.

The only measurement I would pay attention to is the front rise. Some Mabitex are SUPER low rise (9" or so). These pants are ball huggers. Avoid them unless you're young, fit, and cool. The others (11" or so) are still slim but closer to a fit that won't be out of style three years from now or look ridiculous on a man over 30. YMMV.

Remember that your waist is about an inch below your belly button, not just below where your beer belly recedes.

Pay attention to the waist measurement, which the seller should list, not the tagged size, as Mabitex seems to vary.

Word to you my friend, just bought a pair online and excited to try em out. Thanks!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
so how big of a deal is it to wear the same leather soled dress shoes at work every day?

i've heard people say they need time to breathe or something after wear, but its the only pair I have. if it makes a difference, i really only walk to and from the car, and then around in circles in the office. they dont get worn on weekends.

Thanks!

Moisture will remain in the leather, and when its constantly moist it isn't as strong and will eventually start to rot, and your shoe will die. If you're in a job where you actually need dress shoes, you probably can afford another pair.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m7ia
Thanks poissa and polar-lemon for the product recommendations, I'll definitely look into those. Is there a good general guide on polishing and shining etc. technique? I've never polished any shoes before.

Thanks!

Here's the basic guide. There are advanced guides floating around on SF if you want to search for them, they may even be linked in the important posts and info thread.

Step one: Buy kiwi paste (the little tins).
Step two: Apply Kiwi paste with rag.
Step three: Let paste dry for about 15 minutes.
Step four: Buff with old t-shirt or pantyhose.

Done.

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Here's the basic guide. There are advanced guides floating around on SF if you want to search for them, they may even be linked in the important posts and info thread.

Step one: Buy kiwi paste (the little tins).
Step two: Apply Kiwi paste with rag.
Step three: Let paste dry for about 15 minutes.
Step four: Buff with old t-shirt or pantyhose.

Done.

I found this guide wonderful http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=1454591

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First Hober grenadine tie: navy, burgundy, dark green, or brown?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gezuz
If someone could answer this it'd be awesommmmmeeeeee!

Another word of advice, for just a little bit more money you can get some pants from forum affiliate Howard Yount--in my experience I have been much more satisfied with his collection than the Mabitex pants that I have.

But I would just order away--keep in mind, however, that the fit is not for everyone!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r

Thanks!

Although it is not ideal to wear the same pair of shoes more than one day in a row, your situation is a little bit different. To be honest though, you should probably think about investing in another pair--if one pair will last you 6 months, two pairs will last you 2 years, etc. Of course there are diminishing returns once you have a dozen or so, but if you have that many shoes longevity is the least of your issues
smile.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m7ia
Thanks poissa and polar-lemon for the product recommendations, I'll definitely look into those. Is there a good general guide on polishing and shining etc. technique? I've never polished any shoes before.

Thanks!

This is all you need to know:

http://saint-crispins.com/download/s...s_shoecare.pdf

I use this technique myself, it takes about half an hour per pair of shoes, but it lasts long and looks awesome.

agoldf

Reaction score
The issue is not the soles/heels (i.e. how far you walk) but the linings. How much or little you walk is not what damages the shoes it's the moisture from wear.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
My best fitting shirts typically measure 19" across the shoulders, while my sportcoats come in at 17.5 to 18". Is this unusual and if not then what explanation is there for it?

Yes and the best explanation is that the shoulder seams on your shirts go past your shoulders but best way to see is if you have a pic of you in a shirt as well as with a jacket on.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Moisture will remain in the leather, and when its constantly moist it isn't as strong and will eventually start to rot, and your shoe will die. If you're in a job where you actually need dress shoes, you probably can afford another pair.

Originally Posted by Newcomer
Although it is not ideal to wear the same pair of shoes more than one day in a row, your situation is a little bit different. To be honest though, you should probably think about investing in another pair--if one pair will last you 6 months, two pairs will last you 2 years, etc. Of course there are diminishing returns once you have a dozen or so, but if you have that many shoes longevity is the least of your issues
smile.gif

thanks guys,

I do intend to get a second pair once i find out what i want and once i start getting paid (just started, and we get paid once per month). living in a fairly wet climate probably doesn't help with the moisture issue either... maybe i should look into something with a rubber sole next.

oakcircle

Reaction score
Two quick questions. I'm looking at some pebble grain monk strap shoes on ebay. Is pebble grain a dated look, or is it still "fashionable"?

I remember reading a thread about a place that does a great job altering shirt sleeves and shoulders, but I've not been able to find it again. Anyone know the company or link the thread? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads