Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. DrStrangelove

DrStrangelove Well-Known Member

Does anyone have some pictures of a Barbour jacket with lengthened sleeves (by Barbour)?
    Thanks.

2. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

When is the next big Brooks Brothers sale, and how much is it typically? Black Friday? After Xmas? Do either of these beat the FF sale that just passed?

3. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I jjust bought this SC on the B&S. I expect it to be 1/2" too long for me in the sleeve. Instead of getting it tailored from the shoulders, I am thinking of removing the last button and removing the stitching and getting it altered from the sleeve end. Wanted to confirm if this will be possible

Picture of sleeve end

[​IMG]

Didn't you already ask this question?

Yes, if the holes are not cut through then you can shorten from the cuff, and you can remove one by just removing the stitching!

4. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ Thanks, that was a different SC.

The difference between the 2 being that the earlier one had provision for slit lining and working buttonholes by cutting open. I assume that the stitching would have been on both sides of the sleeve.

In this case it seems to be a standard faux buttonhole and I dont expect a split lining and no stitching on the inside.

5. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

^^ Thanks, that was a different SC.

The difference between the 2 being that the earlier one had provision for slit lining and working buttonholes by cutting open. I assume that the stitching would have been on both sides of the sleeve.

In this case it seems to be a standard faux buttonhole and I dont expect a split lining and no stitching on the inside.

The one problem you might run into is that SC is linen, and thus removing the buttonhole may leave some marks. It may not, or they may not be noticeable, but you should be aware going in.

6. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

When is the next big Brooks Brothers sale, and how much is it typically? Black Friday? After Xmas? Do either of these beat the FF sale that just passed?

The day after Christmas, and it is awesome.

7. hobscrk777

hobscrk777 Senior member

There is no secret source for good quality gray flannel dress pants that fit well, are sold finished (hemmed), and cost less than $150.

Here's three out of six, at least (gray flannel, sold hemmed, less than $150).
    http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignatur...tn&cat4=505932

8. m7ia

m7ia Active Member

Thanks poissa and polar-lemon for the product recommendations, I'll definitely look into those. Is there a good general guide on polishing and shining etc. technique? I've never polished any shoes before.

Thanks!

9. fugumby

fugumby New Member

[​IMG]
    Do you know what jacket is this or what kind of jacket it is? Thanks in advance!
    P.S. sorry for the big picture

10. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

11. gezuz

gezuz Well-Known Member

Buying on forums question:

I've read around that Mabitex is a great slim pants to have, and I'm in the market to get a couple pairs of new, nice pants. There's a lot on sale because of the Daffy's thing, so I'm very tempted to pick one or two up.

Should I buy one of my waist size even I don't know my inseam/knee/rise measurements. and have them tailored? Or should I wait til I can try some pants on or get measured then buy some later? I'm very new to buying pants online so I don't want to do something I'll regret.

Thanks!

If someone could answer this it'd be awesommmmmeeeeee!

12. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Wool blend for the man who likes his balls extra sweaty! [​IMG]
    They're blended w/ nylon, which should make them stronger and maybe a little cooler, since nylon insulates less than wool or poly.

13. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

If someone could answer this it'd be awesommmmmeeeeee!
    First off, Mabitex are awesome, and you should definitely scoop some up while these deals are around. You buy one pair in your waist size. You don't need to know your inseam, because none of these trousers are finished -- you'll have to take them to be hemmed. The knee, thigh, and leg opening measurements are sort of irrelevant unless you have bodybuilder thighs; they're an indication of how slim the pants are. The only measurement I would pay attention to is the front rise. Some Mabitex are SUPER low rise (9" or so). These pants are ball huggers. Avoid them unless you're young, fit, and cool. The others (11" or so) are still slim but closer to a fit that won't be out of style three years from now or look ridiculous on a man over 30. YMMV. Remember that your waist is about an inch below your belly button, not just below where your beer belly recedes. Pay attention to the waist measurement, which the seller should list, not the tagged size, as Mabitex seems to vary.

14. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I have some brown Paul Smith boots that darkened a while back from a shoe cream & conditioner I applied. It's been over 4 months and they have not lightened up much. Is there anything I can do to them to get the leather to appear closer to it's original, lighter, shade?

15. perk252

perk252 Active Member

First off, Mabitex are awesome, and you should definitely scoop some up while these deals are around.

You buy one pair in your waist size. You don't need to know your inseam, because none of these trousers are finished -- you'll have to take them to be hemmed.

The knee, thigh, and leg opening measurements are sort of irrelevant unless you have bodybuilder thighs; they're an indication of how slim the pants are.

The only measurement I would pay attention to is the front rise. Some Mabitex are SUPER low rise (9" or so). These pants are ball huggers. Avoid them unless you're young, fit, and cool. The others (11" or so) are still slim but closer to a fit that won't be out of style three years from now or look ridiculous on a man over 30. YMMV.

Remember that your waist is about an inch below your belly button, not just below where your beer belly recedes.

Pay attention to the waist measurement, which the seller should list, not the tagged size, as Mabitex seems to vary.

Thanks bleachboy - that was super helpful. I'm new to these forums and was wondering what the deal was with all these Mabitex seeing as it was a brand I'd never heard of before coming here. They sure do look nice in the photos on the B and S forum, and I was thinking of trying a pair, so your info is really useful. Thanks!