• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 pages of
facepalm.gif

Self contradictory dribble
facepalm.gif

What happened to the "oh I only dress for myself", often spouted SF party line?

Classic example of fantasy land meets reality.

SF-approved and created fantasy bubble burst by the wise words of a real-life woman.
laugh.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
SF-approved and created fantasy bubble burst by the wise words of a real-life woman.
laugh.gif

I'm sometimes scared that this might be true. The problem is I like new clothes, I like this style and I like the way I look wearing it. So far it hasn't been a negative influence on my personal life. And I do kind of dress for myself, because nobody ever notices it in Los Angeles anyway. People just don't seem to care. That's not to say I don't enjoy receiving compliments from people who understand.

But your words are scary nonetheless, because part of me suspects it might be the reality.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I'm sometimes scared that this might be true. The problem is I like new clothes, I like this style and I like the way I look wearing it. So far it hasn't been a negative influence on my personal life. And I do kind of dress for myself, because nobody ever notices it in Los Angeles anyway. People just don't seem to care. That's not to say I don't enjoy receiving compliments from people who understand.

But your words are scary nonetheless, because part of me suspects it might be the reality.

reality is relative. Believe that you look good and it will be true. (if someone tells you otherwise, assume they are schizophrenic)

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 pages of
facepalm.gif

facepalm.gif

laugh.gif

Often I think we do need reminding of this.

"What do you mean my wool paisley tie isn't cool?"

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mal
The pants seem really high rise and blousey around the thighs. The jacket is also a generous fit. This makes you look old, I don't think its the formality of the clothes you are wearing. GQ/Esquire wear clothes that restrict movement.
Also, the pants are low rise, and slung around my hips. No way they fit any slimmer. They're low rise b/w 10 and 11 inches. The Mabitex have more rise than the BR pants.
Originally Posted by Mr. Mystery
When I saw the pictures, old man never entered my mind, just maybe a little bit boring I guess. .
Mystery, you must realize that a non-trivial segment of SF are very low functioning, and susceptible to power of suggestion. Note that *I* framed this thread around "old man". Had I not said that, much fewer would have thought it, unsuggested. If you look, it is not different than any typical WAYWRN posting. Like you said, just a little boring. And maybe a bit much for a local bar. The jacket might bed a tad long, maybe an inch. But that's not going to elicit an old man comment. Think deeper. Note that no one has stopped to consider the girl may have literally have never met a guy under 40 who wears a blazer (or wears audible shoes with leather soles) She has a strong association with slacks and her grandfather, for example. She does not read fashion magazines, and has never seen a non-grey man in slacks. She works in a business casual / non-profit setting, and men at her work never dress professionally. In fact, consider that most men she knows own 1 jacket/tie for weddings, always wears jeans/shorts/sneakers, have square toed shoes, and do the "generic business casual" thing. In reality, at work and outside, I get dozens of compliments for every 1 negative. In fact, this is the first.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
4 pages of
facepalm.gif

facepalm.gif

laugh.gif

Illustrated Synopsis of this Thread Using Iconic SF Images

1.a Gettin' ready for goin' out...checkin' all three nips

fp9n4x.jpg

1.b Shavin'

imgp4143.jpg

2. Checkin' out the brim

103_1641.jpg

3. Shoes? Bangin'

IMG_0414.jpg

4.a Should I go casual in white Kiton jeans? Not tonite...dolphins say no

51wk68.jpg

4.b How about the Simpsons Sheet Shirt?

img0008hr0.jpg

4.c Or a Single Leg Trouser?

skort1.jpg

4.d With an eyepatch and a plastic briefcase?

88841443.jpg

4.e Or my smoothed crotch jeans?

img0156r.jpg

NO WAY, JOSE!! Harrumph...goin' in the full kit

5. Stoppin' by the bookstore before headin' out to the bar

avenger.jpg

6. Damn...it's Anne Hathaway at the bar!

anne-hathaway.jpg

7. Quick trip to the restroom to take a WAYWRN photograph for the Interwebz...bam!

side2c.jpg

8. Return to bar, but Anne is gone! Got into a fight with a miner

shooman.jpg

...to be continued...

- B

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of silly comments in this thread which I actually find quite interesting and a good example of the difficulties one may face when trying to "dress up" in an environment that tends to "dress down". A lot of grown up people are trying to look youthful by dressing like kids. So if you opt for dressing like a grown up, the risk of looking like an old man is real and must be considered. How to avoid it? I guess that for most people it will take a bit of trial and error. And this kind of threads, with pics, can indeed help. And I agree that there is a fine line that is easy to miss.

Sazerac

Reaction score
I almost pissed myself at the paying with a personal check bit...

But to the OP, to address your question seriously, I think the problem may have three parts to it:

1) Boring choices. It doesn't matter how expensive any of the clothing is, there was nothing daring, or even remotely interesting, about the items chosen. There are no bold patterns or interesting fabrics -- at least that I could see in the photos. It's all too safe. The kind of thing a spy might wear if he absolutely must not, under any circumstances, stick out in a crowd. It's the kind of thing of a movie costume designer might put on an extra called "man at wine bar #4." It's the kind of thing a guy would eventually settle on wearing if he were meeting the evangelical Christian parents of his evangelical Christian girlfriend. This exacerbates the second problem, which is...

2) Context. If everyone around you is wearing sneakers and jeans and sweatshirts (which is a bit generous for most sports bars) guess who didn't get the memo? You. For example, I have an off-white Zegna suit I wear in the summer. Much as I love to wear it, I wouldn't dream of wearing it even to a Michelin-rated restaurant when spending the weekend in the mountains. Just wouldn't be appropriate. By the same token I wouldn't show up in a tux to my kid's recital and say I was the best dressed guy in the room. I was the most incorrectly dressed.

3) Stop caring. Maybe you disagree with all of the above. Then rock on, conservatively-dressed guy! That same woman who said you looked old may also like Justin Bieber and expect her date to be in a hoodie and jean shorts. If you like what you were wearing, then own it and forget her...and all of us, for that matter.

Just a point, though... If you agree with the idea that maybe it was too boring, try broadening your horizons by picking up some street wear at a store that sells nothing but. Go to a good boutique downtown or in your local gay-friendly 'hood and get a whole new ensemble. See how you feel afterward and take your new style cues from that.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dress "like an old man" all the time, and I've never had anything but compliments from women - saying how I look "sharp", and "put together" and what not. So it must be you.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Illustrated Synopsis of this Thread Using Iconic SF Images

1.a Gettin' ready for goin' out...checkin' all three nips

fp9n4x.jpg

1.b Shavin'

imgp4143.jpg

2. Checkin' out the brim

103_1641.jpg

3. Shoes? Bangin'

IMG_0414.jpg

4.a Should I go casual in white Kiton jeans? Not tonite...dolphins say no

51wk68.jpg

4.b How about the Simpsons Sheet Shirt?

img0008hr0.jpg

4.c Or a Single Leg Trouser?

skort1.jpg

4.d With an eyepatch and a plastic briefcase?

88841443.jpg

4.e Or my smoothed crotch jeans?

img0156r.jpg

NO WAY, JOSE!! Harrumph...goin' in the full kit

5. Stoppin' by the bookstore before headin' out to the bar

avenger.jpg

6. Damn...it's Anne Hathaway at the bar!

anne-hathaway.jpg

7. Quick trip to the restroom to take a WAYWRN photograph for the Interwebz...bam!

side2c.jpg

8. Return to bar, but Anne is gone! Got into a fight with a miner

shooman.jpg

...to be continued...

- B

Best post on SF EVAR?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads