• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Clearly you're not JLib, because you post pictures of your shoes.
I think that OP can and should rock ascots, just like Jan. He should also consider keeping elbows off the bar. Pestering the bartender at the sports bar asking for the curling channel in a loud voice is also unwise, I feel. - B

Mal

Reaction score
The pants seem really high rise and blousey around the thighs. The jacket is also a generous fit. This makes you look old, I don't think its the formality of the clothes you are wearing.

GQ/Esquire wear clothes that restrict movement.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I think that OP can and should rock ascots, just like Jan.

He should also consider keeping elbows off the bar. Pestering the bartender at the sports bar asking for the curling channel in a loud voice is also unwise, I feel.

- B

Perhaps he is packing heat, like Jan, and thus requires the extra-roomy jacket?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these actually the OP's pics ?

Originally Posted by acecow
I'd say it looks a little "old" to me too.
peepwall[1].gif
No offense, you asked for our opinion.

2noifs.jpg

9r6tci.jpg

25sq3ip.jpg

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving

The jacket is a 2 year old Canali. 2 button, 2x vents. Dark windowpane Navy. Great hand.
I think the color is fine, but it sounds like the fit is off. Or at least, is too traditional to be worn casually.

The pants above are all slim fit.

The way you wear this stuff looks old-man-as-fu*kkkkkk

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you really think it would be stylish to wear a boxy Canali odd jacket, houndstooth slacks, and derby shoes to a bar?

Swap all of those things out for a slim, shorter unconstructed cotton sport jacket, straight leg jeans, and sneakers or desert boots, and you'd be achieving the "GQ/Esquire guy" look.

You ought to get rid of that jacket. It will never fit properly, even for a work setting. Shoulder width, boxy torso, length. Just awful.

Blofeld1

Reaction score
I wear a lot of "formal"( oppossed to street wear) items such as trench coats, tweed blazers, etc. and often went to clubs with a tie ( mostly knits) and i never actually heard that I dress "old"
I think most of it has to do with the fact that i tend to wear rather slim fitting clothes and wear everything with a sense of pride and a lot of fun... and carry myself that way...

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
I honestly don't think it looks that bad, the pants are a bit high on the waist and could be slightly slimmer overall. Definitely a bit office like for a casual bar night out, but I think you guys are being too critical. A sports bar is a sports bar, if a regular bar even it wouldn't be as bad. I don't think the jacket is even that long. The stylish/young look with these type of clothes is very hard to pull off. Very effective and hip when done right, but can easily miss.

When I saw the pictures, old man never entered my mind, just maybe a little bit boring I guess.

I tend to agree with Blofeld1 exactly. There's so many small factors involved.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Without pics, I would be calling total flame on you. No one could be this dense.

You may have been dressed more expensively than anyone in the "casual sports bar" but you weren't dressed better.

You look like ****. If I had to guess your age, based on this outfit, I would say 65. Were you headed to book club after your Chardonnay and the sports bar?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads