• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Converse Appreciation Thread

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Question: Anyone know when Converse Fall line might start appearing? Like, specifically which month?

as_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigfarva
on sale at nordstroms for 100
How much wear are we looking at for a pair of Converses like these? Thinking about kopping, but at $40-80, all of my Chucks/JPs have been disposable shoes insofar. $100 for just a nicer disposable shoe is a bit hard to justify for me.

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by as_
How much wear are we looking at for a pair of Converses like these? Thinking about kopping, but at $40-80, all of my Chucks/JPs have been disposable shoes insofar. $100 for just a nicer disposable shoe is a bit hard to justify for me.
Bottom line if you wear them every day they will only last as long as your shoe-wearing style takes them. Some people say shoes start to break apart on them after 1-2 months (not these but ANY shoe) of daily wear. Some people never wear out their shoes because if you own a few pairs of shoes and wear all of them somewhat regularly, shoes can last years and years. The only times I've worn out Converse were when I had them as a kid and they would be my only pair and had to wear every day, and/or when I wore all-black Chucks as work shoes and would wear them every day (5 days a week, always 8 hour shifts). Even still the shoes held up fairly good, I'd generally wear sections of the sole clean down, while holes would open up at the high-crease points. But I'd still wear those shoes for a good year and a half. I should note I've heard some people say of these Varvatos that the clear sole will pull apart from the shoe, but have said it's fixable. My one pair of Varvatos are holding up fine after 6 months of intermittent wear. I'll have to check out this Nordrstrom's thing.

bigfarva

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiddleClassDude
Bottom line if you wear them every day they will only last as long as your shoe-wearing style takes them. Some people say shoes start to break apart on them after 1-2 months (not these but ANY shoe) of daily wear. Some people never wear out their shoes because if you own a few pairs of shoes and wear all of them somewhat regularly, shoes can last years and years. The only times I've worn out Converse were when I had them as a kid and they would be my only pair and had to wear every day, and/or when I wore all-black Chucks as work shoes and would wear them every day (5 days a week, always 8 hour shifts). Even still the shoes held up fairly good, I'd generally wear sections of the sole clean down, while holes would open up at the high-crease points. But I'd still wear those shoes for a good year and a half.

I should note I've heard some people say of these Varvatos that the clear sole will pull apart from the shoe, but have said it's fixable. My one pair of Varvatos are holding up fine after 6 months of intermittent wear.

I'll have to check out this Nordrstrom's thing.

they seem pretty nice, the sole is a bit heavier/thicker than the sole of Jack purcells for varvatos i bought a year ago.

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
According to the Nordstroms site I think the local one might have my size. I might go check them out tomorrow night or Friday. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on custom ordering almost the exact thing (as close as I could get it) from the custom Converse thing they offer. It would have been almost the same shoe but non-Varvatos and it would have had to be canvas instead of the leather. The customs looked pretty nice imo (nice enough to actually consider getting), but the Varvatos edge it out.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
converse sale on gilt today heads up

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
converse sale on gilt today heads up

I saw that too, looks like a last chance for everyone to grab those Racearounds, haha

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bottom line if you wear them every day they will only last as long as your shoe-wearing style takes them. Some people say shoes start to break apart on them after 1-2 months (not these but ANY shoe) of daily wear. Some people never wear out their shoes because if you own a few pairs of shoes and wear all of them somewhat regularly, shoes can last years and years. The only times I've worn out Converse were when I had them as a kid and they would be my only pair and had to wear every day, and/or when I wore all-black Chucks as work shoes and would wear them every day (5 days a week, always 8 hour shifts). Even still the shoes held up fairly good, I'd generally wear sections of the sole clean down, while holes would open up at the high-crease points. But I'd still wear those shoes for a good year and a half.

I should note I've heard some people say of these Varvatos that the clear sole will pull apart from the shoe, but have said it's fixable. My one pair of Varvatos are holding up fine after 6 months of intermittent wear.

I'll have to check out this Nordrstrom's thing.

I have a pair of Converse lows that I've had since around 98. I've worn them regularly throughout the years, especially during warm months. The heel area is worn down, and I had to glue together part of the sole near the heel. But other than that, they're holding up amazingly well. I think they just get better looking the more they wear out.

I used to wear mine in college until they were practically falling off my feet.

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0728-JP-BOAT-MID-NUBUCK-01.jpg
0728-JP-BOAT-MID-NUBUCK-02.jpg
0728-JP-BOAT-MID-NUBUCK-03.jpg

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
I will NOT be duped into buying Purcell chukkas. No more Purcells that don't have the traditional whole toecap. I fell for it already with the boat shoes, never again!

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I will NOT be duped into buying Purcell chukkas. No more Purcells that don't have the traditional whole toecap. I fell for it already with the boat shoes, never again!

Yeh, the chukkas look really dumb.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads