• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

SLeiber32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Branches
What did you find?

Measurements of the NC on all the sites I found pointed to the PS actually being slimmer but the more I looked into I saw that they're not entirely accurate and I could also size down an extra size on the New Cures to get the fit I'm looking for. Now to find New Cures in a 26 for my skinny ass
laugh.gif

Francis91

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Ok, so I exaggerate a bit. That being said though...I don't care that much about the chain stitching. If I can't find somebody to do it local, I will just get a normal hem while I wait

tailors touch on oak st in the gold coast does same day work.

Badger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Badger
Its my 18th on wednesday so Im gonna be getting a fair amount of cash (hopefully), so I thought I'd treat myself to some new things, including a pair of jeans perhaps.

Im a fairly big through-out build, with my actual waist about 35 (if i lost the bit of weight Ive gained from excessive drinking, it'd probably be about 34). I currently wear a pair of Nudie Average Joes, which are a really nice pair of jeans and i wear them most days (owned since Oct '09, still aint washed), however I was looking for something a bit more tapered from the knee down if you know what I mean.

Skinnys and slim fits are not for me. I have big thigh and calf muscles from sports etc so they just look wrong. Anyone know of any jeans that are not so tapered at the thigh but get more so from the knee down? Thanks in advance.

So someone suggested Naked and Famous Weird Guys to me and they do sound like something that could suit the description of what Im after, however I've read that N&F denim isnt all that great, and at £130 (selfridges London, only place I can see selling them instore that I could get to), its a lot of money. Just wondering if there are any other suggestions too, thanks.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flight Bird
Man this question is getting freaking annoying! There MIGHT be, but it's easier to just send it to Self Edge or any similar store in NYC/SF

Originally Posted by mlyngard
Finding a tailor with a proper double-chainstitch machine set up for denim hems is rare. Suggest sending them to Self Edge, Blue in Green or Blue Owl for a proper job.

can someone tell my why sending my jeans out to be hemmed is a good idea instead of asking if anyone knows a place locally that can do it? Maybe I should measure myself, then pay shipping plus the fee. Great idea

Perhaps we need a stick thread that lists places that can do it. I travel a lot for work, maybe I will be somewhere and can take some in.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to mention that a friend of mine showed up recently in some Levi's that looked very similar to those posted by three_man a few pages back and dismissed as bootleg. They had the awful arctuate stiching (the thread on my friend's was quite dark though) and the stitching extending up from the top edges of the pockets like the pics in this thread

but he said he got 'em at jc penny or macy's or something--this may be something Levi's is actually doing now, not bootleg.

tightandbright

Reaction score
It's kind of hard finding jeans that fit me (28x32), but I bought a couple pairs of Guess Lincoln Slim Fits and they fit perfectly (well one does the other doesn't). The problem is Guess doesn't carry a lot of 28's (cause other people buy them as soon as they come out) so I was wondering what other jeans fit like the Lincoln Slim Fits. Thanks in advance.

Scooba

Reaction score
Nudie makes plenty of 28x32's. I don't know how the Guess jeans fit but you will probably want to try Slim Jims (slim fit straight leg) or Grim Tims (straight leg and slimmer than the Slim Jims - fit between a slim fit and a skinny fit). They will be more expensive than Guess but you can usually get them on Ebay or Yoox for about $100/pair

tightandbright

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scooba
Nudie makes plenty of 28x32's. I don't know how the Guess jeans fit but you will probably want to try Slim Jims (slim fit straight leg) or Grim Tims (straight leg and slimmer than the Slim Jims - fit between a slim fit and a skinny fit). They will be more expensive than Guess but you can usually get them on Ebay or Yoox for about $100/pair

I don't want to wear skinny jeans. I want to wear jeans that are straight (like the thigh width has to be the same as the leg width, I don't want anything that's tapered).

Flight Bird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nopike343
Only if you are easily annoyed
Easily annoyed? This question is sooo easily solvable by research and I'm giving you the ******* answer
ffffuuuu.gif
Originally Posted by otc
Only if your definition of easier includes paying for round trip shipping and waiting over a week for a hem job that a seamstress with the right machine could do while you wait.
You are both ignorant morons, but don't worry I won't (will) hold it against you
smile.gif
Perhaps we need a stick thread that lists places that can do it. I travel a lot for work, maybe I will be somewhere and can take some in
Yeah if you travel to New York or San Francisco I think you could take it to a place there. It's called Self Edge imbecile.
Originally Posted by Trapp
Good luck finding a seamstress with a chainstitching machine that will hem your jeans while you wait. Turnaround at SE even if you live next door is 3 days at best. Nobody (that I know of anyway) chainstitches while you wait.
+1, but let me just to spell it out for these ******* idiots: I-F Y-O-U W-A-N-T C-H-A-I-N-S-T-I-C-H H-E-M-M-I-N-G S-E-N-D I-T T-O N-Y-C/S-F You are total
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
noobs. Please go die. [/anger]

splattered

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of F310 from SENY and they shrank quite a bit in the initial soak... but then i just got a pair of F380 same size and gave them a hot soak under the exact same conditions and they didn't seem to shrink as much, either in the waist or inseam. I'm supposed to soak these and then send them back to SENY after the shrinkage is done... should i try and give these a second hot soak to see if there is any more shrinkage or just assume that they're done and send them in?

James_M

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of KMW 1950 of a member sized 31. They fit fairly well accounting for stretching everywhere except the waist. Is there anything a tailor can do to expand or let out the waist? I think the button could be removed for some room but I need about an inch or so to be comfortable.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need a cut that is fuller than APC New Standards. I do olympic lifting and recently my APC New Standards have become tight in the thigh area while the waist fits fine. What brands and cuts should I be looking at for a fuller fit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads