1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Jack Trick

Jack Trick Active Member

I've found a nice pair of Gilded Age raw denim for a reasonable price. Any idea how much they stretch out and if I should/can size down at all?

2. Flight Bird

Flight Bird Senior Member

Anybody chainstitch hems in chicago?

Man this question is getting freaking annoying! There MIGHT be, but it's easier to just send it to Self Edge or any similar store in NYC/SF

3. Nopike343

Nopike343 Senior Member

Man this question is getting freaking annoying! There MIGHT be, but it's easier to just send it to Self Edge or any similar store in NYC/SF
    Only if you are easily annoyed.

I would like to know if someone does chainstitching in Chicago also. NY and SF should not be the only places you can get this done.

4. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Only if your definition of easier includes paying for round trip shipping and waiting over a week for a hem job that a seamstress with the right machine could do while you wait.

5. Trapp

Trapp Distinguished Member

Only if your definition of easier includes paying for round trip shipping and waiting over a week for a hem job that a seamstress with the right machine could do while you wait.

Good luck finding a seamstress with a chainstitching machine that will hem your jeans while you wait.

Turnaround at SE even if you live next door is 3 days at best. Nobody (that I know of anyway) chainstitches while you wait.

6. Badger

Badger Member

Its my 18th on wednesday so Im gonna be getting a fair amount of cash (hopefully), so I thought I'd treat myself to some new things, including a pair of jeans perhaps.

Im a fairly big through-out build, with my actual waist about 35 (if i lost the bit of weight Ive gained from excessive drinking, it'd probably be about 34). I currently wear a pair of Nudie Average Joes, which are a really nice pair of jeans and i wear them most days (owned since Oct '09, still aint washed), however I was looking for something a bit more tapered from the knee down if you know what I mean.

Skinnys and slim fits are not for me. I have big thigh and calf muscles from sports etc so they just look wrong. Anyone know of any jeans that are not so tapered at the thigh but get more so from the knee down? Thanks in advance.

7. Branches

Branches Well-Known Member

Its my 18th on wednesday so Im gonna be getting a fair amount of cash (hopefully), so I thought I'd treat myself to some new things, including a pair of jeans perhaps.

Im a fairly big through-out build, with my actual waist about 35 (if i lost the bit of weight Ive gained from excessive drinking, it'd probably be about 34). I currently wear a pair of Nudie Average Joes, which are a really nice pair of jeans and i wear them most days (owned since Oct '09, still aint washed), however I was looking for something a bit more tapered from the knee down if you know what I mean.

Skinnys and slim fits are not for me. I have big thigh and calf muscles from sports etc so they just look wrong. Anyone know of any jeans that are not so tapered at the thigh but get more so from the knee down? Thanks in advance.

I think Naked & Famous Weird Guys are what you are looking for. They will run you about $135.

Assuming you're in to the whole raw selvedge thing.

8. Badger

Badger Member

Thanks for the suggestion, will make sure to remember them. And yea, raw selvedge is fine with me. Anyone know where I could possibly find some N&F Weird Guys in London? Selfridges perhaps?

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

9. SLeiber32

SLeiber32 Senior Member

I'm looking to finally dive into the world of raw denim. I'm looking for a pretty skinny fit though, something like a Levi's 510. I like the fit of these: http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Blac...ean_11207.html These are my favorite "pleb" jeans fit-wise: http://shop.pacsun.com/denim/drakes-...eans/index.pro Here are the measurements of my favorite fitting jeans: Waist - 14.5" Front Rise - 9.25" Thigh - 11" Knee - 7" Hem - 6" Inseam - 32" I was thinking maybe some APC Petit Standards or APC New Cures? Which of the two fits more like what I've posted? I like a nice skinny fit throughout the entire jean and a nice small hem because I usually wear Chucks or Vans Authentics. Any suggestions on either the APCs or a jean that meets the sizing better are greatly appreciated. Budget is about $150ish. Thanks

10. Branches

New Cures seem to fit that bill.

Or maybe Nudie Grim Tims.

11. SLeiber32

SLeiber32 Senior Member

New Cures seem to fit that bill.

Or maybe Nudie Grim Tims.

So the Cures are slimmer than the Petits? I thought I had read somewhere that the Cures had a bit of a flare at the bottom too, is that true? I like them nice and skinny all the way down and a hem flare would kill me [​IMG]

12. Branches

Yes, Cures are slimmer than Petits.

However, I don't know anything about Cures having a flare bottom.

13. SLeiber32

SLeiber32 Senior Member

EDIT: Nevermind, found what I was looking for.

14. Branches

15. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Good luck finding a seamstress with a chainstitching machine that will hem your jeans while you wait.

Turnaround at SE even if you live next door is 3 days at best. Nobody (that I know of anyway) chainstitches while you wait.

Ok, so I exaggerate a bit. That being said though...I don't care that much about the chain stitching. If I can't find somebody to do it local, I will just get a normal hem while I wait