• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yup, another which watch thread- classic and $1500 max.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I can understand the "story" factor much more in tailoring than in watchmaking. The modern mechanical watch movement is a product of the Industrial Age. Virtually everything is done by machine or touched by machine--and as much is automated as possible. So, I'm not sure what "story" Nomos adds to its movements that ETA does not.

It's a charming story of unreasonable industrial DIY.

mjc

Reaction score
why not just get a nice-looking quartz watch with superior technology and a lower price?

Will people keep their quartz watches for 30, 50, 100 years? Will they even be able to buy the batteries? Somehow I doubt it. But I do have my grandfather's mechanical watch. And it works fine, even though it wasn't an upscale model...

- Mike

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
First, it's not clear that people are seeking an interesting mechnical movement at all; it's just that the watches that appeal to them aesthetically happen to be offered only as mechnicals. They can't find an equivalent with squartz movements. You claim that the Stowas posted in this thread look like any museum gift shop souvenir. Post some, the Stowa appreciators will let you know whether they find them interesting or not.
Stowa watches are largely based on old, generic military designs. You don't need to pay for a Stowa to get a B-Uhr style watch, for example. Nomos watches, I admit, are more unique. However, you do pay quite a hefty premium for the fact that they have mechanical movements in them. My first advice to someone who is new to watches looking at Stowas would be ask them if they really care so much about having the exact look that they're willing to pay hundreds and hundreds more for it. Keep in mind, the case and dial of a stainless steel watch are very cheap relative to its overall cost. To be hyperbolic, what you're suggesting is kind of like buying a pair of John Lobbs because you like the shoe laces.
But let's assume you are seeking a mechanical movement. Maybe you enjoy the ritual of hand-winding every day. Maybe you like seeing the movement through the hardlex back. Maybe you appreciate the fact that an automatic winds itself and never needs a replacement battery. There could be plenty of reasons to seek out a mechnical other than seeking "something that exemplifies interesting or sophisticated watchmaking" from a purely technical point of view.
Yes, let us assume that. In that case, why pay for Stowa or Nomos when there are so many watches using basic ETA ebauches that provide exactly the same features you describe? You can get a new, manual-wound Seiko for less than a couple hundred dollars with a display back.
This is what I dislike in your argument. First of all, it reduces the process of evaluation to a single criterion. Secondly, it expresses the idea that if it isn't the best, it isn't worth having. Accordingly, I shouldn't bother drinking a bottle of wine if it isn't a St-Emilion Grand Cru. Well, I hope you enjoy orange juice with dinner Foo.
Wine and mechanical watches aren't really comparable in this discussion. Wine is not technologically obsolete. Moreover, I think it is fantastic advice to not turn one's nose up at cheaper wines: the more expensive bottles are not necessarily better, and many may not appreciate them when they are. Anyway, had you read what I said carefully, you would have noticed that I'm not saying everyone should buy expensive mechanical watches. My point is that very few should. There are so many cheap, effective, high-quality options out there for most people that a $1,500 mechanical watch rarely makes any sense. I love orange juice. Many of us, if we were honest with ourselves, would be happier drinking more orange juice instead of pretending to enjoy expensive wine.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, had you read what I said carefully, you would have noticed that I'm not saying everyone should buy expensive mechanical watches. My point is that very few should. There are so many cheap, effective, high-quality options out there for most people that a $1,500 mechanical watch rarely makes any sense.
laugh.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
Still haven't seen any comparable suggestions to Stowa from you. This is what I found for quartz and I don't think it compares. http://www.wernersflyingwatches.com/....asp?ProID=127
You're not trying, then. Arcimede Pilot, with ETA 2824, at $345 MSRP:
cleaningdrawer002.jpg
For the same model with a plain, no date, no text dial, it's $550 MSRP:
archimede-pilot-h-historic-watch.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, and with a quartz movement:
_MG_5211-vi.jpg
Laco Flieger, $225 MSRP. If anybody bothered to do more than two minutes of research, they'd realize the Stowa in question is one of many contemporary iterations of the original B-Uhr watches of WW2. Google "B-Uhr" and you'll find everything within seconds. You'd learn just as quickly that you don't need to buy a Stowa for "the look."

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anybody bothered to do more than two minutes of research, they'd realize the Stowa in question is one of many contemporary iterations of the original B-Uhr watches of WW2. Google "B-Uhr" and you'll find everything within seconds. You'd learn just as quickly that you don't need to buy a Stowa for "the look."

Indeed, a very good article: http://www.calibremagazine.com/node/305
thumbs-up.gif

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edited after I realized that my post did not show up until after my nap. Meant to be asked before answered. Thanks.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and with a quartz movement:
_MG_5211-vi.jpg
Laco Flieger, $225 MSRP. If anybody bothered to do more than two minutes of research, they'd realize the Stowa in question is one of many contemporary iterations of the original B-Uhr watches of WW2. Google "B-Uhr" and you'll find everything within seconds. You'd learn just as quickly that you don't need to buy a Stowa for "the look."

The last one is priced well but otherwise not a huge difference in price from Stowa. I will look at these though.

Noted from the link/article above.

Based on numerous German watch forums, the Stowa Airman is the quintessential B-uhr watch based on polls conducted. It’s not surprising since it offers the best balance in terms of affordability, durability and historical significance.
These JS watches from Iceland. What is their price point? These are mechanical watches, no?

Imperator

Reaction score
Oh, and with a quartz movement: Laco Flieger, $225 MSRP. If anybody bothered to do more than two minutes of research, they'd realize the Stowa in question is one of many contemporary iterations of the original B-Uhr watches of WW2. Google "B-Uhr" and you'll find everything within seconds. You'd learn just as quickly that you don't need to buy a Stowa for "the look."
Neither of the pieces you posted are nearly as (aesthetically) pleasing as the stowa.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads