1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Yup, another which watch thread- classic and $1500 max.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HEWSINATOR, Jun 15, 2010.

1. radicaldog

radicaldog Well-Known Member

I can understand the "story" factor much more in tailoring than in watchmaking. The modern mechanical watch movement is a product of the Industrial Age. Virtually everything is done by machine or touched by machine--and as much is automated as possible. So, I'm not sure what "story" Nomos adds to its movements that ETA does not.

It's a charming story of unreasonable industrial DIY.

2. mjc

mjc Well-Known Member

why not just get a nice-looking quartz watch with superior technology and a lower price?

Will people keep their quartz watches for 30, 50, 100 years? Will they even be able to buy the batteries? Somehow I doubt it. But I do have my grandfather's mechanical watch. And it works fine, even though it wasn't an upscale model...

- Mike

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

First, it's not clear that people are seeking an interesting mechnical movement at all; it's just that the watches that appeal to them aesthetically happen to be offered only as mechnicals. They can't find an equivalent with squartz movements. You claim that the Stowas posted in this thread look like any museum gift shop souvenir. Post some, the Stowa appreciators will let you know whether they find them interesting or not.
    Stowa watches are largely based on old, generic military designs. You don't need to pay for a Stowa to get a B-Uhr style watch, for example. Nomos watches, I admit, are more unique. However, you do pay quite a hefty premium for the fact that they have mechanical movements in them. My first advice to someone who is new to watches looking at Stowas would be ask them if they really care so much about having the exact look that they're willing to pay hundreds and hundreds more for it. Keep in mind, the case and dial of a stainless steel watch are very cheap relative to its overall cost. To be hyperbolic, what you're suggesting is kind of like buying a pair of John Lobbs because you like the shoe laces.
    But let's assume you are seeking a mechanical movement. Maybe you enjoy the ritual of hand-winding every day. Maybe you like seeing the movement through the hardlex back. Maybe you appreciate the fact that an automatic winds itself and never needs a replacement battery. There could be plenty of reasons to seek out a mechnical other than seeking "something that exemplifies interesting or sophisticated watchmaking" from a purely technical point of view.
    Yes, let us assume that. In that case, why pay for Stowa or Nomos when there are so many watches using basic ETA ebauches that provide exactly the same features you describe? You can get a new, manual-wound Seiko for less than a couple hundred dollars with a display back.
    This is what I dislike in your argument. First of all, it reduces the process of evaluation to a single criterion. Secondly, it expresses the idea that if it isn't the best, it isn't worth having. Accordingly, I shouldn't bother drinking a bottle of wine if it isn't a St-Emilion Grand Cru. Well, I hope you enjoy orange juice with dinner Foo.
    Wine and mechanical watches aren't really comparable in this discussion. Wine is not technologically obsolete. Moreover, I think it is fantastic advice to not turn one's nose up at cheaper wines: the more expensive bottles are not necessarily better, and many may not appreciate them when they are. Anyway, had you read what I said carefully, you would have noticed that I'm not saying everyone should buy expensive mechanical watches. My point is that very few should. There are so many cheap, effective, high-quality options out there for most people that a $1,500 mechanical watch rarely makes any sense. I love orange juice. Many of us, if we were honest with ourselves, would be happier drinking more orange juice instead of pretending to enjoy expensive wine.

4. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

Anyway, had you read what I said carefully, you would have noticed that I'm not saying everyone should buy expensive mechanical watches. My point is that very few should. There are so many cheap, effective, high-quality options out there for most people that a $1,500 mechanical watch rarely makes any sense.
    [​IMG]

5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

6. mafoofan

Still haven't seen any comparable suggestions to Stowa from you. This is what I found for quartz and I don't think it compares. http://www.wernersflyingwatches.com/....asp?ProID=127
    You're not trying, then. Arcimede Pilot, with ETA 2824, at $345 MSRP: [​IMG] For the same model with a plain, no date, no text dial, it's $550 MSRP: [​IMG]

7. mafoofan

Oh, and with a quartz movement: [​IMG] Laco Flieger, $225 MSRP. If anybody bothered to do more than two minutes of research, they'd realize the Stowa in question is one of many contemporary iterations of the original B-Uhr watches of WW2. Google "B-Uhr" and you'll find everything within seconds. You'd learn just as quickly that you don't need to buy a Stowa for "the look."

8. onix

onix Well-Known Member

If anybody bothered to do more than two minutes of research, they'd realize the Stowa in question is one of many contemporary iterations of the original B-Uhr watches of WW2. Google "B-Uhr" and you'll find everything within seconds. You'd learn just as quickly that you don't need to buy a Stowa for "the look."

Indeed, a very good article: http://www.calibremagazine.com/node/305 [​IMG]

9. narwhal

narwhal Member

I would suggest a piece from JS Watch co., Reykjavik.

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

I have the Frisland and highly recommend the company.

Kind regards,

10. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Well-Known Member

Best place to get these cheaper pilots?

11. onix

onix Well-Known Member

Not asking as a challenge but because this is what I want. Examples?

See 3, 4 posts above.

12. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Well-Known Member

Edited after I realized that my post did not show up until after my nap. Meant to be asked before answered. Thanks.

13. Cant kill da Rooster

Oh, and with a quartz movement: [​IMG] Laco Flieger, $225 MSRP. If anybody bothered to do more than two minutes of research, they'd realize the Stowa in question is one of many contemporary iterations of the original B-Uhr watches of WW2. Google "B-Uhr" and you'll find everything within seconds. You'd learn just as quickly that you don't need to buy a Stowa for "the look."
    The last one is priced well but otherwise not a huge difference in price from Stowa. I will look at these though.

Noted from the link/article above.

These JS watches from Iceland. What is their price point? These are mechanical watches, no?

14. Imperator

Imperator Well-Known Member

Oh, and with a quartz movement: Laco Flieger, $225 MSRP. If anybody bothered to do more than two minutes of research, they'd realize the Stowa in question is one of many contemporary iterations of the original B-Uhr watches of WW2. Google "B-Uhr" and you'll find everything within seconds. You'd learn just as quickly that you don't need to buy a Stowa for "the look."
    Neither of the pieces you posted are nearly as (aesthetically) pleasing as the stowa.

15. onix

onix Well-Known Member

Neither of the pieces you posted are nearly as (aesthetically) pleasing as the stowa.
    Pilot watches. One Stowa, one Archimede, I can't tell the difference: (source: http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104056) [​IMG] Another set: [​IMG]

16. Cant kill da Rooster

Good quick read.

http://www.timecafe.com/Mechanical_Quartz.htm

17. narwhal

narwhal Member

These JS watches from Iceland. What is their price point? These are mechanical watches, no?

They are:

[​IMG]

Prices vary, but with the ISK in the tank many of their models would be in his range or less. I have had them do some custom work for me and would be happy to put anyone in touch, or you can email them for prices.

Kind regards,

18. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

19. mafoofan

Which is which? The Stowa looks much nicer!!

Of course. It has "the Look." It Looks twice as good when you wear it with a Tom Ford suit.

20. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Of course. It has "the Look." It Looks twice as good when you wear it with a Tom Ford suit.

Agree +1

So... which one is it?