• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another guy needs another suit

squarebiz

Reaction score
So I need a suit ready 2 months from now, would have liked to have enough time to do MTM but imagine that's not worth the risk. Found out just yesterday it needs to be navy blue, no further instructions, and I'm doubtful there's much more my friend could answer. He made it sound like the dress code was pretty loose, probably could get away with my navy blue blazer, but that's not my style, and my only suits are shades of grey. Also, just because of where I live, it's likely I'm going to have to do all of this online.

I'd like to avoid fused canvas stuff if possible. I wear a 36 according to my brooks brother "MTM" suit, and a 38S according to my OTR blazers. I'm a bit particular about the pants (or "trousers"), and tend to like the pleated, mid to high waisted look. Spier and Mckay is the obvious, and possibly safest choice, I like their neopolitan cut. I'd be willing to spend more if I felt confident it would fit me. I've read nice things about LBM suits in the past, but haven't a clue where to source them, aside from a few I saw on Farfetch... I suppose that could be an option but I find that shopping on sites like that frequently end in regret. The Armoury has a dwindling supply of navy suits in my size that might work, same with No Man Walks Alone, though I'd rather spend that kind of money when I'm less pressed for time and their options more plentiful. If I knew how to get a Berg and Berg suit I would look into that. I imagine Sid Mashburn and Hickey Freeman would be safe bets, though their cuts feel a little boring. Not interested in Brooks Bros having owned one of their suits. I'm mildly curious about J Press.

Basically if anyone has any suggestions of where I could look or how to better navigate this world I'd be grateful. Thanks!

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! Thank you. I'd never heard of Cavour, really like the look of the one you linked to.
The only thing I'd offer up - Fabric-wise I'd personally rather have the S&M VBC 4 ply at 410 grams over the light weight high twist from Cavour but would rather have Cavour all else being equal. Although depending on where you're at for a June/July event that lighter cloth might be a bonus in your case.

squarebiz

Reaction score
Gotcha. It'll be just outside NYC, first weekend in July. I'm from the deep south so lighter weight is never a bad thing. Why might you favor the Cavour over the S&M were all else equal?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing I'd offer up - Fabric-wise I'd personally rather have the S&M VBC 4 ply at 410 grams over the light weight high twist from Cavour but would rather have Cavour all else being equal. Although depending on where you're at for a June/July event that lighter cloth might be a bonus in your case.
curious what you think about the Cavour trousers. Have been intrigued by the suits but size charts make the trousers out to be very slim. In their EU46 suit the hem opening is 6.9".

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
curious what you think about the Cavour trousers. Have been intrigued by the suits but size charts make the trousers out to be very slim. In their EU46 suit the hem opening is 6.9".
I think Kevin has mentioned there is a pretty hefty allowance built in but I haven’t tried. I have never done a suit for myself from them since I’d need the non-existent long size. A shame since their stuff is great (based on friends)

MattyS

Reaction score
The Cavour trousers are quite slim, at least for my taste.

squarebiz

Reaction score
Went with Cavour. I'm not great at fit pics but if ya'll have any suggestions on alterations please feel free to comment. I adjusted
the shadows ad contrast so ya'll could see the way it drapes a little better.
08FEAFE8-EF11-4C4A-8803-CEA41FFE13DD_1_105_c.jpeg

170BD4FD-836C-4FFF-B680-73585904EDD7_1_105_c.jpeg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'd help to have a photo with the jacket buttoned, as well as a photo from the back.
The trousers are very slim and can't hang cleanly as a result. Someone mentioned that there should be plenty of seam inlay to let the trousers out but I'd ask your tailor what they think. If the trousers can't be let out significantly I'd personally recommend returning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads