• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The official LVC thread***

*Tee*

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simontuntelder
Tee, try out the 501zxx in raw instead. I have nothing against pre-faded jeans, but nothing beats fading them yourself. If you are too lazy to do so, then there are some washed 501z's floating around.
Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm already running two raw denim projects ( APC PS and Somet 018 ). A third pair would be overkill. I definitely want the painted "Pitchfork" wash... Can you assist me regarding the sizing matter ?

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by *Tee*
^ Basically.

It's difficult to be definitive with the washed jeans, but in general they're either slightly undersized - but will stretch out - so you should be fine buying TTS. But, given that they're made in different factories - some in US with US fabric, some in Turkey with European fabric - the only safe way is to check with your retailer.

The new LVC washes, by Denim Tech, are terrific. I think they're $500 or so though...

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Thinking of buying 1947 from Oi Polloi. According to their website the size 36 would be having a waist of 35 and should shrink to a waist of 33. Are Oi Polloi's measurements correct and if I want a jeans with an actual waist of 34 is tag 36 the correct size to go for. I am hoping that the 35" actual waist of tag 36 would initially shrink to 33" actual and thereafter stretch to 34" actual.
Originally Posted by Pablo-T
Your logic on sizing is correct - but email oipolloi and make sure the 36 are indeed undersize; most/all of 2010 1947 production is true to size. THey could have old stock - or they might simply not have updated their website.
As suggested, I contacted oi Polloi My message to Oi Polloi I am thinking of buying a pair of Levis 1947 501 in raw (http://www.oipolloi.com/store/LevisV...igo-2626.html). Just wanted to recheck the measurements of the size 36 at the waist. I am given to understand that though the measurements of 36 size were 35 in the previous lots, the size of the waist has been increased in the new lots i.e. in the new lot tagged 36 size will have an actual waist of 36" rather than 35". Could you confirm if you have older stock which had undersized waist or is this new stock with regular waist and the website measurements have not been updated. Oi Polloi's reply Hi The measurements on the current stock of 1947 501 in 36". Are 36" true to waist size we don't have any old stock to compare. Thanks for pointing this out to us and i will update the site. I require a true waist of 34" after shrinking and stretching. Earlier I was thinking of getting the 36 tagged size so that the actual waist of 35" would shrink to 33" and thereafter stretch to 34". Confused what size to get now. I am afraid that the 36" waist would shrink to 34" and then stretch to 35" which would make it too big for me in the waist. Any thoughts ?

nativebelle

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I'm a 30x32 in washed jeans/chinos/etc. and I think I'm going to buy a 30/34 in the '47s when I have enough money lying around. I'll wear them during their hot soak and while they dry, and I figure they can only shrink so much while they're on your body. Going up to the 32 (for you, the 36) might just be too baggy a fit and end up being too large in the waist. But again, I can't say I know too much and will definitely be asking similar questions before I spend that money.

bbhewee

Reaction score
Quick question: I'm up to my 3rd pair of LVC, and I'm having real issues with crotch blowouts after 6 months (1954 and 1947 raw, no issue with 55 washed)... I have big thighs, so it's not all that unusual, but the timeframe seems rather quick compared to other raw selvedge jeans I own... Does anyone else have this problem?

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbhewee
Quick question: I'm up to my 3rd pair of LVC, and I'm having real issues with crotch blowouts after 6 months (1954 and 1947 raw, no issue with 55 washed)... I have big thighs, so it's not all that unusual, but the timeframe seems rather quick compared to other raw selvedge jeans I own... Does anyone else have this problem?

I have muscular or big thighs too, which is why I like wearing LVC. I have never had as little blow outs as I have with LVC. In fact none of my LVC has had crotch blow outs.

Did you soak them before you wore them? I think that the starch in unsoaked fabric makes it less pliable and therefore it might break easier.

bbhewee

Reaction score
I had a very short soak as the fit is ideal for me as they are... I may need to size up and take a bath in them.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Here's an old-school fit, that I've been wearing down on the farm for the last week.

frontbol.jpg

LVC 1901, Sunset shirt, brit army £3.80 braces and Grafter's boots.

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
Looks like something from a theme park. Meaning very well done.

Why are you selling, what I presume is the last pair of Lees on ebay?

(This is my way of saying - PEOPLE; Paul is selling a pair of nicely faded 101z's and a pair of 47's)

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simontuntelder
Looks like something from a theme park. Meaning very well done.

Why are you selling, what I presume is the last pair of Lees on ebay?

(This is my way of saying - PEOPLE; Paul is selling a pair of nicely faded 101z's and a pair of 47's)

Yes, I was maybe over-co-ordinated, but it had to be done.

I still have one well-faded pair of Lees, plus a couple others. I won't be walking around naked from the waist down, put it that way.

Thanks for mentioning the Lees and 47s, though!

Leelap.jpg
47patch.jpg

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick sizing question...
My waist measures 32"
Should I get the 1947 501 in size 33 or 34?

Thx!

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
Quick sizing question...
My waist measures 32"
Should I get the 1947 501 in size 33 or 34?

Thx!

Are you in such af hurry that you didn't have time to read back a couple of pages?

turbozed

Reaction score
Quick question about 1947 shrinkage:

How much do the shrinkage occurs in the thighs? I have relatively large thighs from weightlifting and I'm a little concerned that it might be too tight after soak.

Farinellis is showing a size 32/34 thigh measurement to be 10.75. Does anyone have a post soak measurement for 32w jeans?

Or can anyone just give me impressions on thigh shrinkage or whether the 2010s are roomier? Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads