***The official LVC thread***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Simontuntelder

Simontuntelder Senior member

Aarhus/Copenhagen/Herning/Sindal - Denmark
    Good question. I don't honestly know.

The Euro Blue Bell look great to me - specially developed denim made by Orta in Turkey. I own the 27MW which I really rate, altho some people on SuFu complain because it doesn't fade too much.

I know very little about the Japanese reissues - I suspect they're made by Edwin, who are the licence-holders for Lee, which is now owned by the same company as Wrangler.

Early Wranglers would have had selvage under the fully-felled seam, altho I would guess it was gone by the mid or late 50s, when wide shuttle loom denim started to become popular (the idea that everyone switched to wide looms in the 80s is a myth, most people shifted much earlier, except for Levi's).I don't know if the ORta fabric has a selvage edge under the seam.

Funny thing is, Wrangler used selvage denim on a lot of their denim jackets and I even think I have seen some on Wrangler jackets post Blue Bell with selvage, but it wasn't visible in their jeans.

People who own Euro Wranglers, please unpick a couple of stitches and tell us, if they are selvage.

And you are right, the 27MW doesn't fade. But then again it is quite hard fading your denim shirts. Most examples I have seen haven't been good at all, so I don't care much about it.

2. sebastianm

sebastianm Well-Known Member

@Simon: Ill be going to CPH this monday and i was wondering if you knew, if there was any stores stocking the '67 505 cut?

3. Simontuntelder

Sure, no problem. It's been too long since I checked up on the LVC stockits, so I am not totally sure about it, however Brund on Østerbro would be my best bet. I think Norse have them or have had them too and WoodWood might also have a pair or two hanging around. Pede+Stoffer might also be worth checking out.

Hope this helps. If not feel free to PM me in Danish.

4. sebastianm

sebastianm Well-Known Member

Totally forgot about Brund, thank you for the reminder. I will post a few fit pics here if i end up finding a pair in my size.

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Been lurking for a while and haven't found anything in regards to this:

Purchased a pair of LVC '47 501's, and as expected, leather patch looks like the first photo.

I additionally picked up a basic pair of STF's from Dillards, and the patch is shown in the second photo.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before, with the "Lot" on the patch listing both as a 501XX? I'm confident that they haven't re-cut the 501 STF to be equivalent to the LVC '47. Any insight would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. sharks9022

sharks9022 Senior member

The jeans that used to be made by cone mills were shrink to fit and selvedge and had the XX designation. But now all the XX means is the jeans are Shrink to Fit.

7. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

edit: too late
    xx indicates stf denim today.

8. Simontuntelder

The 501 is the model and the XX indicates that it is shrink to fit denim. The XX is present is on all stf jeans by Levis and sometimes there is a Z added to indicate that the model has a zipper instead of a button fly.

So there is nothing strange about the two tags.

9. Simontuntelder

No one can say that SF isn't helpful, even when it comes to noobie questions.

10. El Argentino

The 501 is the model and the XX indicates that it is shrink to fit denim. The XX is present is on all stf jeans by Levis and sometimes there is a Z added to indicate that the model has a zipper instead of a button fly.

So there is nothing strange about the two tags.

Thanks to all for such a quick response -

I only found it different because every other 501 STF in the store read "Lot: 501" without the XX designation. Did they just start printing that on the latest production runs, or what?

When I had bought 501 STFs in years before I don't recall them having the XX on there either.

I'm not disputing any of you - just wanting to learn a bit more.

- Perhaps I should clarify that when I say 501 STF, I'm generally referring to the $40 pairs available anywhere. I'd never seen them carry the XX designation before. I know that it's been printed all over LVC's forever.

11. sharks9022

sharks9022 Senior member

Get back to work at your job. I'm trying to enjoy my college summer. [​IMG]

12. El Argentino

[​IMG] Work? Who works while the World Cup is on?

13. Dom

Dom Member

Thanks to all for such a quick response -

I only found it different because every other 501 STF in the store read "Lot: 501" without the XX designation. Did they just start printing that on the latest production runs, or what?

When I had bought 501 STFs in years before I don't recall them having the XX on there either.

I'm not disputing any of you - just wanting to learn a bit more.

- Perhaps I should clarify that when I say 501 STF, I'm generally referring to the $40 pairs available anywhere. I'd never seen them carry the XX designation before. I know that it's been printed all over LVC's forever.

I seem to recall some of the new Rigid/Blue 501 Shrink-to-Fit (with the tag inside waistband) that don't contain the XX. Like ones from Haiti or Mexico or somewhere. Could be wrong, though.

I've seen some Rigid/Blue Dominican Republic jeans floating around... with XX (I have a pair).

However, those do not contain the (tag inside the waistband) and I believe are old stock.

I have a couple of pairs of Levi 501 Shrink to Fit (from current production).
    Light Blue - Contains XX
    Khaki/Tan - Contains XX
    Verde/Green - No XX

Also, here's a quote from Paul T's website:

7: Levi's 501 production famously changed from narrow to wide looms around 1983. What were the new looms? Projectile looms?
    The wide 501Â[​IMG] fabric was called XXX. The denim was made on Sulzer projectile looms.

I don't believe XX stands for Shrink to Fit... Although, 501's are the only style of Levi's with this distinction. I believe it's "Extra Extra Strong". or Durable... Or something...

14. sayocean

sayocean Senior member

15. aj_del

aj_del Senior member