• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by netsua
if you get the dirt organics in the 29 they should fit you fine. "denim will also stretch in the waist up to 1.75" after approximately 40 wears."- selfedge

Really? I'd feel really weird getting it in a 29!

Lustre

Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
I dunno, maybe, never tried stretching out a pair of jeans length-wise.

i still think your best bet would be to return or exchange them from wherever you got them from and get a longer size.

indeed, but it's a bit of hassle. i just tried cuffing three inches off, though, and it looks wearable, so I'll just cold soak, hang dry, and cross my fingers.

thanks for the help!

netsua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I was just at Barney's Co-op and I tried on the Nudie Grim Tims. They fit great. Unfortunately, the only wash they had was this:

http://www.barneys.com/Grim%20Tim/50...efault,pd.html

My question (total noob to high end jeans): Should I not get it because of the distressing? The price is really good ($159). The knee distressing is a bit too low for my legs. I'm considering getting the Grim Tim Dry Organic instead, but would like to get it at a cheap price.

Part Two: I have a 33 natural waist and tried on the 32x34. It fit slightly tight on the waist and really well elsewhere. Is that the correct size for me?

Originally Posted by musicguy
Really? I'd feel really weird getting it in a 29!
crap sorry sorry sorry i meant 32x34.

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rezzor
Back for a bit more advice. Couple years ago Whodini suggested some lee 101z for me and they worked out well except that they were always a bit tight in the thigh but need replacing now. I no longer see them on the lee website and they seem to be selling for considerably more on other sites. Looking for any suggestions for a similar style as the 101z that may be slightly more roomy in the thigh and sub $100.

A follow-up question....how are the current regular fit Lee's different in the sizing and cut than the original 101z? I am sure the denim itself is different, but how is the cut different? Thanks.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what's the forum wisdom on Evisu jeans? raw, selvage, not sure where made. good deal at around $125?

there's some mention of it on this thread but not any details....TIA!

avery

Reaction score
there's a huge thread in superdenim, check it out. i think it's called "evisu is still loved"

jeremynba

Reaction score
Where can I buy slim fit jeans like the orisue nori slim fit jeans. What stores would I be able to find slim fit jeans in Canada (not online). Thanks Alot...

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Why the huge difference in price between The Stronghold heavy weight and the dark indigo? I'm looking in your direction mlyngard
Dunno, brother. I have no experience with them. I'm guessing the looming of the 14oz denim is more complex, they may use a hand-dyeing technique, and it says it's organic natural indigo dyed, which is more expensive. Or the pricing could all be trend-driven
confused.gif
Maybe ask Sam or Ryan over at Context?
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
So here's the question... What's a pair slim raws I can get for under $100? Should be a good weight for wearing in a Chicago summer (I won't be wearing these ALL the time but for some of those cooler days) Uniqlo is the obvious choice but I don't have immediate access to it and I'm looking at some other options. Is RRL in my range? I'm kind of interested in RRL denim.
Uniqlo is great denim and the best quality/value ratio I've ever seen. If you can kop you won't be sorry. I'm starting to wear mine and the 14oz sanf. denim is great warm-weather stuff. The only competition in that bracket seems to be Gap, JCrew and Levis stf
Originally Posted by Lustre
hm this is a little worrysome, because the length is what i was worried most about is there anything i can do? hand stretching while soaking?
Originally Posted by Lustre
indeed, but it's a bit of hassle. i just tried cuffing three inches off, though, and it looks wearable, so I'll just cold soak, hang dry, and cross my fingers. thanks for the help!
I've found there's no way to realistically get an inseam to stay longer than what it shrinks to. Over time and washes it's gonna keep going back to where it started and even loose a bit more. The same goes for minimizing shrinkage during a soak. If the jeans are really uncomfortable post-soak and you have to fight to stretch them, decide whether you're willing to endure that every time you wash. I hate being reluctant to wash my jeans because I'm avoiding that discomfort. Best to size up one. Note: cold soaks don't buy you anything long-term. They'll keep shrinking over time down to where they're meant to be.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Branches
I wear a 30 or 31 in most jeans, is it a good idea for me to get a 27 in APC NS ?
27 might be ok if those 30s/31s are not tight on your waist. 27s are really 29 in the waist and will stretch to a real 31 or so, but your 30-waist jeans are probably truly 32 waists. maybe you know all that already. edit: yeah, you might get those 27s to stretch to real 32, which would match what sounds like your real waist size.

humanliberty

Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone have a recommendation for a tall 6'6, 6'5 guy looking to buy a good pair of premium jeans? I don't like slim fit, and usually go for relaxed fit. Any tips would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by humanliberty
Hi all, does anyone have a recommendation for a tall 6'6, 6'5 guy looking to buy a good pair of premium jeans? I don't like slim fit, and usually go for relaxed fit. Any tips would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Is inseam length your only priority? If so, we'll need to know that...

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Branches
Thanks a lot, how come most tagged 30's are actually 32"?
just the way it is, i guess if one has a 30" true waist, its expected that their hips will measure about 32" anywho, i recommend finding a pair of jeans that fits well in the waist, and measuring them across like this:
how_we_measure_waist.jpg
(or you could just take a tapemeasure and measure around your hips where you wear your jeans) then double this number, thats what you're going to want your jeans to measure in the waist, post-stretch. for example, lets say your well fitting jeans measure 16" across, *2 = 32 waist. so you'll want APC's that measure 32 after stretch. They can stretch 2 to 3 inches (mine stretched 3") so you'll want a pair that is measured size 29" or 30", which means you'll want APC's tagged size either 27 or 28. APC's are vanity sized (meaning a tagged size 28 measures 30"). this is where most people get confused and buy the wrong size. its acutally pretty easy once you get the hang of it. choosing between sizing down 2 or 3 depends on the kind of fit you want, if you want them really slim, go down 3, if you want them slim go down 2. I like tight thighs in my jeans, which is why i went down 3. if you have big legs, maybe only go down 2.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
friend lost weight, gave me a pair of diesel zaf's he outgrew. They have a flare leg. yay or nay? I will have to hem them down quite a bit so I might hem out most of the flare.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads