I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Branches

Branches Well-Known Member

Flare leg is a nay, for me at least. If you're going to get them hemmed then you might as well have the flare reduced also, provided your tailor can do that.

2. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

Flare leg is a nay, for me at least. If you're going to get them hemmed then you might as well have the flare reduced also, provided your tailor can do that.

I have always wanted to try that. My tailor is pretty good, but I dunno about trying that with jeans. will that wind up twisting the leg seams (like true religons)? I hate that.

3. Branches

Branches Well-Known Member

I feel like if your tailor knows what he's doing it'll turn out fine. Even if there is some twisting it wouldn't be as extreme as on true religions.

4. Capita

Capita Member

Hey huge jean noob here, I have never paid more than $30 for jeans and I have never owned a pair that I would say I currently would enjoy wearing.

I am 19 and 5'10, 176lbs with a semi-lean/muscular build, I generally wear 33x30 jeans but the length is always a bit long. My ass/quads/hamstrings are bigger than average and so a lot of slim jeans hug my hips too much and look a bit awkward.

Levis 511s look comical on me, 514s fit pretty well above the knee albeit a bit tight, but below the knee they feel loose and might even look a bit flared out.

What should the SF approved jean fit like? I think I might try 514's again and 501s and was thinking about Shrink to Fit.

If I wanted shrink to fit levis to fit like a size 32 or 33 waste would I get them in size 34 or 35?

Also are there any other jeans I should consider as a poor college kid?

5. Lustre

Lustre Well-Known Member

I've found there's no way to realistically get an inseam to stay longer than what it shrinks to. Over time and washes it's gonna keep going back to where it started and even loose a bit more.

The same goes for minimizing shrinkage during a soak. If the jeans are really uncomfortable post-soak and you have to fight to stretch them, decide whether you're willing to endure that every time you wash. I hate being reluctant to wash my jeans because I'm avoiding that discomfort. Best to size up one. Note: cold soaks don't buy you anything long-term. They'll keep shrinking over time down to where they're meant to be.

Well the waist is fine, just the inseam seemed a bit worrisome. But after grabbing a ruler, 3 inches was a lot shorter than I thought it would be, so I should be fine. Right now I'm just waiting for a warm summer day before my jean's first soak, so I can wear them as they dry!

Can anyone confirm on the "cold soaking not buying anything long-term"? If so, warm wet jeans would be a lot more pleasurable to wear than cold wet jeans [​IMG]

6. kvo30

kvo30 New Member

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a pair of Evisu jeans pretty soon but I don't know how they fit. I don't have any shops near by so I can't try them on for size. I have a couple pairs of Sevens that fit really well I wear a size 33. I was wondering how Evisu's fit compared to Sevens or any other brand of jeans. Also, what kind shrink and which don't? I was looking at these ones to buy

http://shop.evisu.com/collections/sa...t_nakata_jeans

thanks!

7. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I'm looking for some nice-ish black selvage jeans with a long (at least 36") inseam. I prefer a button fly, a mid-rise (nothing super-low or super-high), and ideally a leg opening that's just wide enough to accomodate a cowboy boot (although not so wide that it'll look stupid with Chuck Taylors). I'm partial to larger pockets, some sort of back pocket detailing (stitching and/or a tab), hidden rivets, and denim with "character" (roughness, slub, hairiness, &c.), but that's asking a lot. Actually, smooth denim would be ok, too.

Any thoughts from the expert panel?

8. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Well the waist is fine, just the inseam seemed a bit worrisome. But after grabbing a ruler, 3 inches was a lot shorter than I thought it would be, so I should be fine. Right now I'm just waiting for a warm summer day before my jean's first soak, so I can wear them as they dry!

Can anyone confirm on the "cold soaking not buying anything long-term"? If so, warm wet jeans would be a lot more pleasurable to wear than cold wet jeans [​IMG]

It's commonly recommended to get as much of the shrink out of the way in the beginning. The jeans will eventually shrink more even if you cold soak now. Save yourself being surprised by a totally changed fit in a few months by hot soaking now (as hot as the tap gets). Then stretch/wear while damp.

If you plan to ever machine wash or dry these (which many of us do), I would even suggest doing that first, then a soak, then wear while damp.

Also, by damp, I mean hang-dry them for a few hours, then wear - don't wear them straight from the tub dripping wet. Saves you a lot of time and achieves the same results.

9. dutchblack

dutchblack Active Member

Hey huge jean noob here, I have never paid more than $30 for jeans and I have never owned a pair that I would say I currently would enjoy wearing.

I am 19 and 5'10, 176lbs with a semi-lean/muscular build, I generally wear 33x30 jeans but the length is always a bit long. My ass/quads/hamstrings are bigger than average and so a lot of slim jeans hug my hips too much and look a bit awkward.

Levis 511s look comical on me, 514s fit pretty well above the knee albeit a bit tight, but below the knee they feel loose and might even look a bit flared out.

What should the SF approved jean fit like? I think I might try 514's again and 501s and was thinking about Shrink to Fit.

If I wanted shrink to fit levis to fit like a size 32 or 33 waste would I get them in size 34 or 35?

Also are there any other jeans I should consider as a poor college kid?

I am exactly your size, 33 x 30. I am about 5'10" (on a good day) but i weigh a little more. Any way, I find that the Levi's 501's are to straight of a cut for me. They tend to make me look shorter and fatter, two things I am trying to avoid. My favorite Levi's cut it the 505. It has a slightly tapered leg. If you give me a better idea of your price point I can send you in the right direction. I think your best best is anything that can be considered a slim straight. The Rag and Bones I am try to sell I think would work. I also have a pair of the Dry Bone, Self Edge, Super Future collaboration and love them. The rise could be a little higher though. If you want to go skinnier, I really like the fit of the Pure Blue Japan Jeans style xx-007. If you dont want a super dark jean I would also recommend the PBJ xx-005. Feel free to PM me with any more questions you have.

10. Lustre

Lustre Well-Known Member

It's commonly recommended to get as much of the shrink out of the way in the beginning. The jeans will eventually shrink more even if you cold soak now. Save yourself being surprised by a totally changed fit in a few months by hot soaking now (as hot as the tap gets). Then stretch/wear while damp.

If you plan to ever machine wash or dry these (which many of us do), I would even suggest doing that first, then a soak, then wear while damp.

Also, by damp, I mean hang-dry them for a few hours, then wear - don't wear them straight from the tub dripping wet. Saves you a lot of time and achieves the same results.

Ah, thank you. I've always heard cold soak to minimize shrinkage and dye loss, but it seems like a case of "pay now, or pay later." Thank you everyone for the information!

11. batorizer

batorizer Senior member

Hey ya'll. It's about time for a new pair of jeans. My warehouse 660's are my favorite, so I'm looking for something similar. Basically slim, but not skinny and I like a bit of taper. I'm thinking about sd103, samurai 710, skull 5507. Would any of these work? Any suggestions?

12. Rolfi

Rolfi Senior member

I'm looking for some nice-ish black selvage jeans with a long (at least 36") inseam. I prefer a button fly, a mid-rise (nothing super-low or super-high), and ideally a leg opening that's just wide enough to accomodate a cowboy boot (although not so wide that it'll look stupid with Chuck Taylors). I'm partial to larger pockets, some sort of back pocket detailing (stitching and/or a tab), hidden rivets, and denim with "character" (roughness, slub, hairiness, &c.), but that's asking a lot. Actually, smooth denim would be ok, too.

Any thoughts from the expert panel?

now getting a pair with a 36" inseam post soak will prove very difficult to find
    but you could always check out the skulls
    http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=2615&category_id=&manufacturer_id=37&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28

if they don't have the size you like you can always email BiG or selfedge and i'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you out with picking out a pair that will fit your needs

13. Lustre

Lustre Well-Known Member

Okay so current plan for a pair of still-unworn levi's 501xx STFs:

1. hot soak for 1-2 hours
    2. hang dry until damp
    3. put on while damp, go biking until dry

Then for maintenance:

1. hang up to air out in between wears
    2. febreeze to keep away smell? any other tips to keep the jeans from getting the funk?

When i need to wash:

1. washine wash cold, inside out (i have almost no intention of washing them by hand unless it's a matter of life or death)
    2. hang dry away from sun

Does that sound like a good path towards keeping the jeans dark, with a good fade? any more suggestions any of you knowledgeable people would like to throw in?

14. that_was_easy

that_was_easy Senior member

The problem is my friend he does not have a jean. He is also, however, now without a GF and being that he's pretty into RAB (rockabilly/greaser) scene wants a pair of legit repro jeans.

I'm familiar with some repros out there. He wants something as heavyweight as possible without sacrificing a very traditional selvage, relaxed repro cut. What can you give me?

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

So I've been wearing my APCs for about 2.5 months and they've lost their crisp stiffness. I still haven't washed them yet but I did buy some extra-stiff starch at Target.

How should I apply this? I'm mainly interested in starching the honeycombs. Do I just starch the shit out of it while it's in its natural semi-crinkled state? Or should I stretch the jeans out so they're straight and not bent due to the natural curvature of the honeycomb creases and THEN starch teh shit out of it?