I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Postscript: If you're into the history of things, the twill also can be used as a brand identifier: Levi's used RHT, Lee used LHT, and Wrangler used Broken Twill. Broken Twill was designed to remove the "problem" of leg twist

2. Branches

Branches Well-Known Member

That's cool to know, thanks.

3. srendam

srendam Senior member

I recently bought a pair of black APCs but they don't say the model; new standards or cures or whatever. They feel way softer than my indigo new standards and the button is dodgy. The are also non selvage, can anyone identify this model so I can tell the seller and get a refund?

4. aerether

aerether Senior member

I recently bought a pair of black APCs but they don't say the model; new standards or cures or whatever. They feel way softer than my indigo new standards and the button is dodgy. The are also non selvage, can anyone identify this model so I can tell the seller and get a refund?
    Black APCs aren't selvage. The selvage line exists on Indigo New Standards, Rescues, and Petit Standards (out of the models currently sold now).

5. whiskeybeard

whiskeybeard Senior member

Does anyone have opinions about Surface 2 Air denim? I noticed there's a fair amount on Gilt today and it looks alright for the price, though of course it's hard to tell.

6. J.T. Thunderbird

J.T. Thunderbird Well-Known Member

Question:

I have a pair of Dior Homme jeans, style F540 Bleu Marine. It is 95% cotton, 5% polyurethane. They are extremely stretchy from the get go and retract to original size.

Does anyone know if they will eventually stretch like some other denims do?

*copied from my post in the Ask a Question thread before seeing this one. I would say this thread is more appropriate.

7. Lustre

Lustre Well-Known Member

Hey guys, denim newbie here.

I recently got some Levi's 501 STFs, but the fit is a little bit tighter than I expected it to be. I have about half an inch on the waist to give, and about one and a half to two inches or so on the inseam. This is a bit less than the recommended amount to shrink.

What would you guys recommend I do within the usual process to minimize the shrinking as much as possible? Cold soak and hang dry is what I've heard, but any other tips?

8. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Why the huge difference in price between The Stronghold heavy weight and the dark indigo? I'm looking in your direction mlyngard

9. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Question:

I have a pair of Dior Homme jeans, style F540 Bleu Marine. It is 95% cotton, 5% polyurethane. They are extremely stretchy from the get go and retract to original size.

Does anyone know if they will eventually stretch like some other denims do?

*copied from my post in the Ask a Question thread before seeing this one. I would say this thread is more appropriate.

Won't permanently stretch much.

10. max_r

max_r Senior member

Hey guys, denim newbie here.

I recently got some Levi's 501 STFs, but the fit is a little bit tighter than I expected it to be. I have about half an inch on the waist to give, and about one and a half to two inches or so on the inseam. This is a bit less than the recommended amount to shrink.

What would you guys recommend I do within the usual process to minimize the shrinking as much as possible? Cold soak and hang dry is what I've heard, but any other tips?

no matter what they will lose about 2 inches on the inseam atleast, mine lost 3", so i'd plan around loosing 3" to 4" just to be safe. as for the waist, my experience is that after soaking, they will stretch right back out to pre-soak size, and even larger if need-be. my 31's were tight at first when i bought them, couldn't button the top button after soaking, but stretched out easy in like two days.

so i'd recommend going tts on the waist, and then extra length on the inseam. unless you have big legs and the legs feel too tight now, or if you want a baggy fit, in which case, size accordingly. it has been a while since my 501's were new, but if memory serves, the legs didn't shrink a whole lot in diameter, and i suspect they would also stretch right back out if they were tight.

11. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

So here's the question... What's a pair slim raws I can get for under $100? Should be a good weight for wearing in a Chicago summer (I won't be wearing these ALL the time but for some of those cooler days)

Uniqlo is the obvious choice but I don't have immediate access to it and I'm looking at some other options.

Is RRL in my range? I'm kind of interested in RRL denim.

12. Lustre

Lustre Well-Known Member

no matter what they will lose about 2 inches on the inseam atleast, mine lost 3", so i'd plan around loosing 3" to 4" just to be safe. as for the waist, my experience is that after soaking, they will stretch right back out to pre-soak size, and even larger if need-be. my 31's were tight at first when i bought them, couldn't button the top button after soaking, but stretched out easy in like two days.

so i'd recommend going tts on the waist, and then extra length on the inseam. unless you have big legs and the legs feel too tight now, or if you want a baggy fit, in which case, size accordingly. it has been a while since my 501's were new, but if memory serves, the legs didn't shrink a whole lot in diameter, and i suspect they would also stretch right back out if they were tight.

hm this is a little worrysome, because the length is what i was worried most about

is there anything i can do? hand stretching while soaking?

13. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I was just at Barney's Co-op and I tried on the Nudie Grim Tims. They fit great. Unfortunately, the only wash they had was this:

http://www.barneys.com/Grim%20Tim/50...efault,pd.html

My question (total noob to high end jeans): Should I not get it because of the distressing? The price is really good ($159). The knee distressing is a bit too low for my legs. I'm considering getting the Grim Tim Dry Organic instead, but would like to get it at a cheap price.

Part Two: I have a 33 natural waist and tried on the 32x34. It fit slightly tight on the waist and really well elsewhere. Is that the correct size for me?

14. netsua

netsua Senior member

I was just at Barney's Co-op and I tried on the Nudie Grim Tims. They fit great. Unfortunately, the only wash they had was this:

http://www.barneys.com/Grim%20Tim/50...efault,pd.html

My question (total noob to high end jeans): Should I not get it because of the distressing? The price is really good ($159). The knee distressing is a bit too low for my legs. I'm considering getting the Grim Tim Dry Organic instead, but would like to get it at a cheap price.

Part Two: I have a 33 natural waist and tried on the 32x34. It fit slightly tight on the waist and really well elsewhere. Is that the correct size for me?

if you get the dirt organics in the 29 they should fit you fine. "denim will also stretch in the waist up to 1.75" after approximately 40 wears."- selfedge

15. max_r

max_r Senior member

hm this is a little worrysome, because the length is what i was worried most about

is there anything i can do? hand stretching while soaking?

I dunno, maybe, never tried stretching out a pair of jeans length-wise.

i still think your best bet would be to return or exchange them from wherever you got them from and get a longer size.