• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

TheBlackBruceWayne

Reaction score
is it considered bad taste to go into a store, say brooks brothers, and try on suits/shirts just to get measurements and not purchase anything??

i really need to know my measurements, i know i'm a very slim guy and most OTR things dont fit me, so i'd like to know my size so i can purchase on B&S...

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheBlackBruceWayne
is it considered bad taste to go into a store, say brooks brothers, and try on suits/shirts just to get measurements and not purchase anything??

i really need to know my measurements, i know i'm a very slim guy and most OTR things dont fit me, so i'd like to know my size so i can purchase on B&S...

Trying on items of clothing in order to determine your measurements usually does not work well since different manufacturers may make different allowances for shrinkage, vanity sizing, etc. What you need is a tailor's tape to take actual measurements of your neck, arms, waist, inseam, etc.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can still try on suits to get some idea about your size. However, once you find something that sort of fits, you should measure it. I find shoulder measurements fitally important when shopping for a sport coat or suit. I'm blessed to have an odd size. 39 longish. Another idea would be to go to a good tailor and ask them what your size is. But I wouldn't feel comfortable asking a tailor I haven't used before.

TheBlackBruceWayne

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Trying on items of clothing in order to determine your measurements usually does not work well since different manufacturers may make different allowances for shrinkage, vanity sizing, etc. What you need is a tailor's tape to take actual measurements of your neck, arms, waist, inseam, etc.

Originally Posted by musicguy
You can still try on suits to get some idea about your size. However, once you find something that sort of fits, you should measure it. I find shoulder measurements fitally important when shopping for a sport coat or suit. I'm blessed to have an odd size. 39 longish. Another idea would be to go to a good tailor and ask them what your size is. But I wouldn't feel comfortable asking a tailor I haven't used before.

thanks for the feedback gentleman!

tailors tape it is

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheBlackBruceWayne
what color monkstraps are more essential....brown or black??

or does it really matter...
gonna pull the trig on monday...just wondering

In "real life", both. On SF, brown is your only option.
teacha.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by runner-guy
Feedback doesn't seem too bad overall. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this. Is this the more relaxed fit model for Canali? I really don't want anything too boxy.
Overall actually looks pretty good, though I'm not a suit expert... Does seem like a rather low price, so I'm not sure myself if I'm missing something. check with tools like toolhaus.org for all neg feedback.
I don't know Canali too well, but I do know that they generally fit rather soft and oversized, like best for middle-aged large bellied desk sitting pencil pushers. The 1300 series body as indicated by the tag is the "least slim" of thier line. 1400+ higher apparently get progressively slimmer.
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
I am thinking of a pair of Loro Piana Raspberry Cotton Pants, but is raspberry a color that works for a guy? I assume color wise, it would go best with grey. Certainly pink pants wouldn't be my cup of tea, even though pink shirts are fine. Thanks
Huh, well, that all depends on how comfortable you are with them. I got a pair of bubblegum pink cotton/linen incotex and frankly haven't had the courage to wear them all that often. Plug - I've got a helluva good deal going right now for some burgandy chinos style pants that are still as exciting as rasberry, but IMO a little more conservative that they actually match with anything and aren't quite as loud. If you're set on those though, and want some pics of pink pants, just PM me and I can send you links to a few that I've saved from various WAYWT posters.
Originally Posted by bapelolol
What kind of seersucker jacket is easier to wear by itself? gray or blue seersucker?
I like both. I think blue is more common, but honestly think of them like navy or grey wool sportscoats... they both work with almost anything but blue is probably more common.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who makes Paul Stuart non-"Stuart choice" shoes? Cheaney?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the answer for myself already, it's Grenson Footmaster.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Stupid size question on shoes :

I wear a 9.5/10 in G&G (the RLPL Narvells), usually a US 9.5 - would I be a 8.5 in C&J? Probably, right?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vtechnwn
Followup on telling the difference b/w orphaned suits vs. sportscoats.
If I see a coat w/ pinstripes, should I automatically assume it's an orphaned suit?
Thanks in advance.

It's either an orphaned jacket or it's being sold by a retailer whose customer base either doesn't know or doesn't care if they look like they're wearing orphaned jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads