Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bapelolol

bapelolol Senior member

What kind of seersucker jacket is easier to wear by itself? gray or blue seersucker?

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

3. chicodukes

chicodukes Member

4. TheBlackBruceWayne

TheBlackBruceWayne Senior member

is it considered bad taste to go into a store, say brooks brothers, and try on suits/shirts just to get measurements and not purchase anything??

i really need to know my measurements, i know i'm a very slim guy and most OTR things dont fit me, so i'd like to know my size so i can purchase on B&S...

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

is it considered bad taste to go into a store, say brooks brothers, and try on suits/shirts just to get measurements and not purchase anything??

i really need to know my measurements, i know i'm a very slim guy and most OTR things dont fit me, so i'd like to know my size so i can purchase on B&S...

Trying on items of clothing in order to determine your measurements usually does not work well since different manufacturers may make different allowances for shrinkage, vanity sizing, etc. What you need is a tailor's tape to take actual measurements of your neck, arms, waist, inseam, etc.

6. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

You can still try on suits to get some idea about your size. However, once you find something that sort of fits, you should measure it. I find shoulder measurements fitally important when shopping for a sport coat or suit. I'm blessed to have an odd size. 39 longish. Another idea would be to go to a good tailor and ask them what your size is. But I wouldn't feel comfortable asking a tailor I haven't used before.

7. TheBlackBruceWayne

Trying on items of clothing in order to determine your measurements usually does not work well since different manufacturers may make different allowances for shrinkage, vanity sizing, etc. What you need is a tailor's tape to take actual measurements of your neck, arms, waist, inseam, etc.

You can still try on suits to get some idea about your size. However, once you find something that sort of fits, you should measure it. I find shoulder measurements fitally important when shopping for a sport coat or suit. I'm blessed to have an odd size. 39 longish. Another idea would be to go to a good tailor and ask them what your size is. But I wouldn't feel comfortable asking a tailor I haven't used before.

thanks for the feedback gentleman!

tailors tape it is

8. TheButler

TheButler Senior member

9. TheBlackBruceWayne

what color monkstraps are more essential....brown or black??

or does it really matter...
    gonna pull the trig on monday...just wondering

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

what color monkstraps are more essential....brown or black??

or does it really matter...
    gonna pull the trig on monday...just wondering

In "real life", both. On SF, brown is your only option. [​IMG]

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Feedback doesn't seem too bad overall. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this. Is this the more relaxed fit model for Canali? I really don't want anything too boxy.
    Overall actually looks pretty good, though I'm not a suit expert... Does seem like a rather low price, so I'm not sure myself if I'm missing something. check with tools like toolhaus.org for all neg feedback.
    I don't know Canali too well, but I do know that they generally fit rather soft and oversized, like best for middle-aged large bellied desk sitting pencil pushers. The 1300 series body as indicated by the tag is the "least slim" of thier line. 1400+ higher apparently get progressively slimmer.
    I am thinking of a pair of Loro Piana Raspberry Cotton Pants, but is raspberry a color that works for a guy? I assume color wise, it would go best with grey. Certainly pink pants wouldn't be my cup of tea, even though pink shirts are fine. Thanks
    Huh, well, that all depends on how comfortable you are with them. I got a pair of bubblegum pink cotton/linen incotex and frankly haven't had the courage to wear them all that often. Plug - I've got a helluva good deal going right now for some burgandy chinos style pants that are still as exciting as rasberry, but IMO a little more conservative that they actually match with anything and aren't quite as loud. If you're set on those though, and want some pics of pink pants, just PM me and I can send you links to a few that I've saved from various WAYWT posters.
    What kind of seersucker jacket is easier to wear by itself? gray or blue seersucker?
    I like both. I think blue is more common, but honestly think of them like navy or grey wool sportscoats... they both work with almost anything but blue is probably more common.

12. onix

onix Senior member

Who makes Paul Stuart non-"Stuart choice" shoes? Cheaney?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the answer for myself already, it's Grenson Footmaster.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Stupid size question on shoes :

I wear a 9.5/10 in G&G (the RLPL Narvells), usually a US 9.5 - would I be a 8.5 in C&J? Probably, right?

14. eseanyang

eseanyang Senior member

15. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Followup on telling the difference b/w orphaned suits vs. sportscoats.
    If I see a coat w/ pinstripes, should I automatically assume it's an orphaned suit?
    Thanks in advance.

It's either an orphaned jacket or it's being sold by a retailer whose customer base either doesn't know or doesn't care if they look like they're wearing orphaned jackets.