• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Fall 2010 Preview

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd collection. Some's nice but there's a lot that's pretty ugly.

What the eff?
00060m.jpg
00080m.jpg
00150m.jpg
00250m.jpg
00340m.jpg
00550m.jpg
00580m.jpg
00590m.jpg
00620m.jpg

Like:
00110m.jpg
00120m.jpg
00220m.jpg
00130m.jpg
00430m.jpg

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I just don't see a lot of average guys being able to pull off this look successfully. Even if you have a tall, trim athletic build it appears too tight, too short and unforgiving. What about guys with full legs or larger butts. They would look silly trying to wear this. I think people will want what flatters them and few will find that in this seasons line. The comment that it looks a bit feminine may be appropriate too. Too close to the short jacket style that every 28y/o female wears.
Very well said. To me, it's quite telling that even some of the models can't pull off the fit. How will the average human being expect to fare? Before someone steps in to correct me, I'm aware that there can be a difference between what's shown on the runway and what makes it into stores. That said, I don't even like a lot of these looks as runway pieces. If these are meant to symbolize the general aesthetic for the fall collection, I'm uneasy about it. Let me go on record, too, as saying that I have no problem with heavy waist suppression. Nor do I have a problem with structured shoulders, per se (or at least far less of a problem than the SF illuminati seem to have). What I don't like, however, is the combination of extremes: extreme shoulder lines with extreme waist suppression, coupled with a flared hip. The overall look is not flattering, IMO.
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you guys dont like that above look? it does look slightly effeminate, but i think it is more the guy's build. i dont know, the look mesmerizingly appeals to me.
I do agree with you that a lot probably has to do with the first guy's build. He's filling out that suit in all the wrong places.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I just don't see a lot of average guys being able to pull off this look successfully. Even if you have a tall, trim athletic build it appears too tight, too short and unforgiving. What about guys with full legs or larger butts. They would look silly trying to wear this. I think people will want what flatters them and few will find that in this seasons line. The comment that it looks a bit feminine may be appropriate too. Too close to the short jacket style that every 28y/o female wears.
Guys - before we get carried away runway fits are usually a 'modified 40(E)L' (extra long) - the real look hanging instore is hardly as severe/exaggerated as these. These guys are 6' 2-3" on average. These 'runway fit' clothes sometimes end up on yoox and so on, and normal people buy them and wonder why they don't (never) fit right. Runway models have never been intended to be the last word on how an item fits on a 'real normal human being'. A runway model often portrays a slightly exaggerated version of the actual item in question to pique your interest in it - and to draw you into the store. Humdrum and normal would never catch your attention otherwise. Not unlike the way that Sartorialist fellow amps up the contrast and saturation in his photos to catch your attention - you may not agree with the content in his Technicolour world, but it certainly grabs your attention. So, once again - runway models have never been intended to be the last word on how an item fits on a 'real normal human being'.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Guys - before we get carried away runway fits are usually a 'modified 40(E)L' (extra long) - the real look hanging instore is hardly as severe/exaggerated as these. These guys are 6' 2-3" on average. These 'runway fit' clothes sometimes end up on yoox and so on, and normal people buy them and wonder why they don't (never) fit right.

Runway models have never been intended to be the last word on how an item fits on a 'real normal human being'.

A runway model often portrays a slightly exaggerated version of the actual item in question to pique your interest in it - and to draw you into the store. Humdrum and normal would never catch your attention otherwise. Not unlike the way that Sartorialist fellow amps up the contrast and saturation in his photos to catch your attention - you may not agree with the content in his Technicolour world, but it certainly grabs your attention.

So, once again - runway models have never been intended to be the last word on how an item fits on a 'real normal human being'.

This is very true. I very much like the clothes in those pictures, even though they don't fit the models. As long as they don't produce the suits in limited sizes like BBBF, I should be able to find my size. If they do happen to be a little short in the stores I can always go from a regular to a long and shorten the sleeves.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a dash of Mod in the styling that I think is relatively new to RL, even if one acknowledges the tight cuts of runway presentations past

For proportion's sake, I posit that higher shirt collars would better complement the suits

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is as I suspected. The short jacket trend is not going away, it is getting even shorter!

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really wish he would stop with the ticket pockets on every suit. Enough already.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
I really wish he would stop with the ticket pockets on every suit. Enough already.
Tuck the flap in, and tah dah - it's not noticeable by >95% of people. A stab in the dark - but consider also the crowd you mix with if you dislike them because of what you perceive to be their impact on other people. Or should I say... reconsider.

defpoetry

Reaction score
I'm definitely eyeing some of the outerwear. Every house is running with a perfecto leather, but the RL one looks incredible for Fall.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Way too much waist suppression. I mean RLBL is fashion forward but this takes it to another level.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Way too much waist suppression. I mean RLBL is fashion forward but this takes it to another level.
This is my main complaint based on the models in the pics, too much suppression. Short jackets and extreme waist suppression don't look good to my eye.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mercydcom