• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

Borrelli

Reaction score
Good to find this thread. Been a few years since I rowed in uni. It was really one of my favourite ways of working out, especially on the water. I made some very good friends there.
I even rowed 100km races twice.

I have an old Concept 2 (model B) stored away which I should reassemble when we buy a larger house. I am thinking it would be good for me to combine running, cycling/spinning and rowing to really get back into shape. Have started the running part already (3x a week)

fleet on feet

Reaction score
just rowed in my first regatta today, had the top time by far in the time trial, then my boat won by over 20 seconds in the head to head race.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Borrelli
I even rowed 100km races twice.
Damn, how long did that take? And were you rowing in a normal 8+ racing shell?
Originally Posted by fleet on feet
just rowed in my first regatta today, had the top time by far in the time trial, then my boat won by over 20 seconds in the head to head race.
Nice, well done! What kind of boat were you in, and what was the distance? Last night, I pulled a 30 minute piece on the erg. I was at 1:55-1:57 for 25 minutes of it, then worked with my coach on technical stuff at a 2:40 or so for the last 5 mins. The power curve display on the newer C2's is extremely helpful. Anyway, then I ran for 30 min., did a core circuit, and did 10 MINUTES OF F***ING WALL SITS. This morning, 12k on the water. Lots of race prep: starts, and then some 4-minute pieces at 30spm, then some sprints at 35. Form is getting a lot better, but I still kind of suck at feathering.

riverrun

Reaction score
2k @ 2:00 split
1k @ 1:53
500m @ 1:43
250m @ 1:37
pushups to fail

Couple minutes in between each piece. I do the 2k at about a 23 stoke count and by the 250m I am up to about 29.

Just starting to try to get back in shape after a few years of total neglect. But for several weeks I've been doing a variation on the above progression every day that work or travel doesn't prevent me and am seeing some good incremental improvement. Pieces aren't long enough to give me great aerobic benefit I think, but I have to start somewhere and am trying to get a bit of fitness and strength in at once. I wasn't a rower but was a competitive athlete through school so was never too out of shape and when I used erging to augment training in offseason I never had to start from the low aerobic base I am now. Can any of the real rowers suggest what a good routine I should be building up to is? I'm thinking if I could do 5k at a decent plit for aerobic benefit then a string of the shorter / more intense pieces that would be something to work towards.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
17k on the water.

I'm washing out at the finish, skying on the recovery, hanging a little at the catch, and I have terrible tempo. My blade feathering also isn't pretty. Damnit.

This will all come with time spent on the water. That and, as I think I've told you before, core strength. A solid solid core will remove skying, some hanging and help with tempo because you can control your slide that little bit better. It'll all come with time.

Also, to your feathering problem. Consider releasing one hand (pulling it off the oar for a split second) and allow the other (usually) dominant hand to properly feather the oar. Once it becomes natural for the dominant hand to make the motion correctly allow the other hand to go along for the ride.

Borrelli

Reaction score
Damn, how long did that take? And were you rowing in a normal 8+ racing shell?

I did it in a wooden 8+ once and in a wooden 4x+ once. Around 8-10 hours from what I remember, it also depends on the weather and wind you have. Mind you this was not with a racing team, just reasonably trained recreative rowers. Many teams compete.

Here are the records. For a gents 8+ the record is 6:26:55. There are some youtube clips on that site as well.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Borrelli, that's cool. I looked at the videos, and it looks like an interesting course. If I ever get the chance, I'd love to do something like that.

Anyway, today, we did 12x1 min. on the erg. I was at 1:40.0 for three or four of the pieces, 1:37.6 for one of them, and somewhere between 1:38.0 and 1:39.7 for the rest. Hopefully this will translate to a split around 1:42 the next time I pull a 2k.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, rjmaiorano. I'll keep hammering the core circuits after practice.

Anyway, we did 11k on the water today. Two days of taper, a travel day, then we're racing Saturday. I'm psyched.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting back into the swing of things. This summer, I'm training on the Wolverine Plan and doing all of my erging on slides, which is already forcing me to focus more on working out the technical kinks of my stroke.

Today was a continuous 40' piece, rowed as such:

2'@18spm/2'@16/2'@18/2'@16/2'@18
4'@16/3'@18/2'@20/1'@22
2'@18/2'@16/2'@18/2'@16/2'@18
4'@16/3'@18/2'@20/1'@22

I ended up with a 2:06 avg. split. The basic idea of a lot of The Plan is that by rowing at such low ratings, you are forced to generate more watts with each stroke. What's also nice about it is that, because only 1-2 workouts per week are at/above 2k intensity, it's possible to workout 9-10 times a week and put in a lot of mileage.

Anyway, after erging, I did 10' of core. God, I missed this stuff during finals.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • 15' warmup
  • 15 x [3'work@20 spm/2'30"active rest at ~14spm]
  • 10' active recovery
  • Core

Splits on work intervals were coming in at around 2:00 by the end of the day; I started at 1:55-1:57 for the first few pieces. In total, I put in 19.2 km on the erg today. Feeling it in the quads (and hams) right now.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been about a year and a half since I've been on an erg. But I joined a gym today that has some concept 2's... Warmed up for a workout, 6 mins @ 2:00/500 then after workout did 10 minds @ 1:56/500.

Kept it real easy, but **** I was excited to be back on an erg.

Official call out to wmmk: bring it.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm tapering off for a regatta that ends Sunday night, but come Monday it's on.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm tapering off for a regatta that ends Sunday night, but come Monday it's on.

fight[1].gif
that doesn't give me much time.

In sport, good luck with the regatta.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads