• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guide to Buying Canned Sardines

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Sea urchin is a major SoCal export, too, no?
in terms of dollars, yes, it has been. that seems to be changing now, thanks to the reintroduction of sea otters to the central coast. it's actually a really interesting ecological story ... sea urchins (and for that matter, abalone) had gone crazy on the coast because the russian fur traders had killed off their main natural predator, the sea otter (abalone found another, equally voracious, in the 1970s as people discovered how delicious they are). sea urchins started booming in the 1980s, mainly for export to Japan, where they were second only to Hokkaido urchins in the tsukiji auctions. now the otter population and range is expanding and the urchins are in trouble. but as a result, the kelp forests, which are vital to other fisheries, are coming back. quite the little balancing act our coastline is.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So . . . you just eat the whole thing? The innards and the bones and all?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love sardines. When I was growing up we'd just stick them from the can onto a slice of bread. Declish. For some reason since I've grown up I just eat them on their own.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
So . . . you just eat the whole thing? The innards and the bones and all?

Yup. The bones are not fully ossified so they're pretty much indetectable.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I love sardines. When I was growing up we'd just stick them from the can onto a slice of bread. Declish. For some reason since I've grown up I just eat them on their own.
You should try DC Banh Mi in Falls Church. They have a banh mi with sardines. It's delicious.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
You should try DC Banh Mi in Falls Church. They have a banh mi with sardines. It's delicious.

wow does that sound good! sardines and vietnamese pickled vegetables!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
wow does that sound good! sardines and vietnamese pickled vegetables!

Aren't you out in LA? You have access to the most delicious banh mis there (the OC), bar none. I'm sure Banh Mi Ba Le has some sort of sardines sandwich. Do give it a try.

Originally Posted by gomestar
will not bode well with teh wiminz that night

You think about teh wimmynz when you make eating decisions?
facepalm.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
will not bode well with teh wiminz that night

dude, married 31 years today. sardines aren't going to bother her.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
You think about teh wimmynz when you make eating decisions?
facepalm.gif

only when eating decisions effect sperm distribution possibilities.

but if there are no adverse effects, she is a keeper

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't you out in LA? You have access to the most delicious banh mis there (the OC), bar none. I'm sure Banh Mi Ba Le has some sort of sardines sandwich. Do give it a try.

i will. i live in long beach and get banh mi at Lily's French Bakery. they're limited in selection, but really good. a banh mi and a jackfruit smoothie ... $5 and the best lunch you'll ever find. except maybe tripe tacos and a beer.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
dude, married 31 years today. sardines aren't going to bother her.

major cheers on both fronts! I'm not married, but a dinner of sardines followed by coffee wouldn't limit me either. A keeper.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love the threak but, I've gotta admit - the idea of any meat product from a can just ... isn't ... appetizing.

However, the raves here - especially from those who push the "pair with beer" angle - are almost making me give it a whirl.

This will sound like a stupid question, but any tips on getting past that in-a-can phobia other than just to take the plunge?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics