1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Guide to Buying Canned Sardines

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by why, Feb 1, 2010.

1. why

why Senior member

it then gets frozen and shipped to Indonesia for processing.

Such a waste. [​IMG]

One note I didn't add to my first post to avoid turning people away from sardines: they sometimes have roe in them. The roe is dry and looks like little grains of sand. It's edible, so don't freak out if some of the sardines have roe in them.

2. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

As long as the sardines aren't extruded, I'm all for them. [​IMG] Seriously, good stuff Why.

3. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

actually, there is a huge sardine fishery out of central and southern california. with squid, it's probably the last of our great commercial fisheries. and they end up selling most of it for a few dollars a ton. it then gets frozen and shipped to Indonesia for processing.

Thanks for the info guys. Sardines are rather plentiful as well as anchovies. They are everywhere. Smelt and mackerel are also all over the damn place here. As for squid...I think we are getting hit with a humboldt squid run right now. I've gone out on boats and caught these 20-50 lb guys (hell I've even caught them off of Balboa Pier in Newport). They taste pretty good and put up a great fight when catching them. Unfortunately, they have an appetite for destruction and eat every damn thing in their way so I don't care for seeing them much. Although, the funniest thing ever is watching someone who knows nothing about them catch one and hold it right up to their face...and the squid squirts a large blast of water or ink in their face.

As for the little guys, we get squid runs every so often and they are by far the best bait out there. Fish go crazy for live squid.

4. otc

otc Senior member

What about the scandinavian sardines? King Oscar (norway IIRC) and the such?

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

it is because of this thread that I picked up some Norwegan smoked sardines on the way home from work.

6. why

why Senior member

What about the scandinavian sardines? King Oscar (norway IIRC) and the such?

King Oscar is the distributor, but they have canneries all around the world. Some products are from Morocco, some are from Poland, and some are from Canada. On their website they claim they fish them out of the North Atlantic and Baltic, but if the sardines are fished out of the North Atlantic and processed in Morocco they're obviously frozen first. I would think King Oscar sardines processed in Poland are the best quality, but I confess to never taking the effort to track down King Oscar's Polish-canned sardines.

7. why

why Senior member

it is because of this thread that I picked up some Norwegan smoked sardines on the way home from work.

Details after you taste them. [​IMG]

Even if you can't have them with the bread, have them with a beer. It's like prosciutto e melone -- an amazing pair that needs to be tried to really be understood.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

why, this is great, thanks.

care to do the same for tuna?

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Great. Can you do a post on anchovies next?

10. tropics

tropics Senior member

11. A Y

A Y Senior member

actually, there is a huge sardine fishery out of central and southern california. with squid, it's probably the last of our great commercial fisheries. and they end up selling most of it for a few dollars a ton. it then gets frozen and shipped to Indonesia for processing.

Sea urchin is a major SoCal export, too, no?

--Andre

12. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Ok bla bla bla bla

So what's a good brand for Sardines? Sorry if this sounds gross to anyone but one of my favorite emergency meals is to cook some rice and open a car of sardines then spoon some rice into the can for some yummy sardine oily goodness.

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Details after you taste them. [​IMG]

Even if you can't have them with the bread, have them with a beer. It's like prosciutto e melone -- an amazing pair that needs to be tried to really be understood.

i will.

Great. Can you do a post on anchovies next?

+1

14. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Indeed. One can never have enough sardines. [​IMG]

15. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

Alright after many years I decided to open up a can and try them again. They were Brunswick and in hot Louisiana sauce. At first I was meh, but the taste became better as I ate more. Not exactly something I'd go out of my way to eat, but I will give it another try with the smoked variety.

16. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

I tried canned sardines for the first time only in the last few years.

I grew up eating canned mackerel, it's a common side dish in my parents' homeland. I never had a strong opinion about it but probably the worst aspect of canned mackerel is the bones - they are edible but a little gristly and gritty when you chew on it.

Sardines on the other hand, they are like eating baby mackerel. All the fish flavor, softer flesh, and the bones are barely noticeable. I don't know why I took so long to try it.

I also love $1.99 canned smoked oysters from Trader Joe.

17. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Definitely picking some up on the way home tonight. I really do dig smoked baltic sprats, good stuff.

18. why

why Senior member

Alright after many years I decided to open up a can and try them again. They were Brunswick and in hot Louisiana sauce. At first I was meh, but the taste became better as I ate more. Not exactly something I'd go out of my way to eat, but I will give it another try with the smoked variety.

Look for Latvian or German ones. I've never been let down by them.

All the EU countries seem to have their information on the tin (usually in a little oval). It will say something like LV 44 Z, where LV denotes it comes from Latvia and the rest is the EU commercial approval number. Other countries will state something like DE GI-310 EG, where DE denotes German origin and the rest is again the approval number (I'm guessing some numbers are larger than others because of the higher number of EU commerce permits in those countries). FR is for France, IT for Italy, etc. -- they mirror URL endings for the respective countries.

19. why

why Senior member

Ok bla bla bla bla

So what's a good brand for Sardines? Sorry if this sounds gross to anyone but one of my favorite emergency meals is to cook some rice and open a car of sardines then spoon some rice into the can for some yummy sardine oily goodness.

The reason I organized the guide in that way was to avoid mentionining brands. The brand can be the distributor, processor, or importer. Many companies will brand their product under a name, but the product quality varies immensely under the brand because they have products coming from all over the world. Bumble Bee sardines, as an example, are relabeled sardines fished and processed from all over Western Europe and Canada. There's no way to tell what's inside the tin by looking at brand name alone.

20. Acephale

Acephale Senior member

Thank you for this threak... it should be subtitled 'underappreciated foodstuffs' IHOMO.

I used to love opening the cans back in ole England - do they still come with the key?

And still remember fresh sardines in Turkey/Southern Portugal/the Med...

Anyhows a question regarding the canned variety - used to be a breakfast staple on toast with lashings of black pepper and fresh tomatoes but they started to erm reverb after a while... and even nibbling on fresh parsley did not seem to help - suggestions?