1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Guide to Buying Canned Sardines

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by why, Feb 1, 2010.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why, have you ever tried these? Picked them up at a local Russian deli today. [​IMG]

2. forex

forex Senior member

Why, have you ever tried these? Picked them up at a local Russian deli today.

[​IMG]

Those are great,I happened to pick them up at a local store couple of weeks ago,love'em.
    Do you like?

3. itsstillmatt

Those are great,I happened to pick them up at a local store couple of weeks ago,love'em.
    Do you like?

I will tell you after dinner.

4. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG] we can always count on Matt to come up with some imported exotic version of stuff!

Looks good.

I just bought some King Oscar in EVOO, will see how that taste. [​IMG]

5. why

why Senior member

[​IMG]

Nope, I've only had Latvian sprats from American distributors. Those are the second-most popular brand in Latvia, I think (Gamma Co. being the most popular).

Edit: Just looked at the website and realized I've had the sprats pate. Have 5 cans in the pantry right now. [​IMG]

6. itsstillmatt

Nope, I've only had Latvian sprats from American distributors. Those are the second-most popular brand in Latvia, I think (Gamma Co. being the most popular).

Edit: Just looked at the website and realized I've had the sprats pate. Have 5 cans in the pantry right now. [​IMG]

I couldn't find the ones you posted in SF, but there were tons of these. Hopefully they are good.

7. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Is it bad to consume too much of the oil that comes packed with Sardines? I mean there has to be some sort of preservative in them right?

8. why

why Senior member

Is it bad to consume too much of the oil that comes packed with Sardines? I mean there has to be some sort of preservative in them right?

No. They are canned.

9. dcg

dcg Senior member

The other ones I have now are Crown Prince, wood smoked, packed in mustard. The tin says they're from Scotland. I'm gonna go open those up and give them a try.
    How did you like these? I was inspired by this thread to try sardines for the first time, and ended up with a can of the above. The sardines seemed to be really overpowered by the mustard, but maybe I just got a bad can. edit - I'm a dumbass; you answered this in your next post. I'll have to try them again.

10. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

I like the taste of the king oscar two layer brislings, but I'm having trouble finding the riga sprats [​IMG] are there any great deals on them to be found online?

11. itsstillmatt

Do you like?

They were great. Better than the other Riga Sprats, another brand, I had last week. Texture was better.

12. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

picked up some of the standard riga sprats online. although I paid almost $3/can, which is considerably more than some of you guys, I really like them. Much better than what's available at my local supermarket for that price.

13. why

why Senior member

picked up some of the standard riga sprats online. although I paid almost $3/can, which is considerably more than some of you guys, I really like them. Much better than what's available at my local supermarket for that price.

Canned goods are one of the few foods I'd ever consider buying over the Internet.

14. whacked

whacked Senior member

Bump.
    4. Poland
    Polish varieties tend to be fished from the Baltic Sea and are usually sprats or brisling. I've seen only a few Polish varieties and the fish are as good quality as the Baltic States', but Poland tends to be cheap when they process their fish. I've only ever seen them in vegetable oil (likely soybean or canola) and I've only seen them unsmoked. The biggest importer of Polish sardines in the United States is Seasons' Brand, which for some reason prices their sardines above the value of their quality of processing

The local grocery chain happens to sell this for a song. I finally got around to try it today, on RyKrisp rye crackers w/ mustard.
    [​IMG]

Prettay good. [​IMG]

15. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

I finally found Riga sprats, and they are AMAZING. In the past few weeks, I've gone on a sardine-eating adventure. They're actually the core of what I eat now. Thank you, why!

16. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

17. airblaster503

airblaster503 Senior member

As a kid growing up my dad used to always eat these. But as I have gotten older I just can't stand the smell. Not sure how I feel about them as I like the taste but the only way I can stand to eat them is with a clothes pin stuck to my nose, one whiff and I am done for.

18. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Had some 'Cole's Sardines' today. Best I've had in my journey thus far.

19. arced

arced Senior member

I picked up some Riga Sprats the other day (after being reminded of them by this thread). They're as delicious as always, but at this point I'm just eating them on bread or crackers. Are there any suggestions on more 'fancier' ways of eating them? Any cheeses that complement them well?

20. why

why Senior member

I picked up some Riga Sprats the other day (after being reminded of them by this thread). They're as delicious as always, but at this point I'm just eating them on bread or crackers. Are there any suggestions on more 'fancier' ways of eating them? Any cheeses that complement them well?
    Definitely not cheese, but a good lager complements them very well. They're among the few foods that I think beer naturally pairs with (bratwurst and some other Nordic and Germanic foods do as well).