Guide to Buying Canned Sardines

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by why, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Orrery

Orrery Member

Picked up some smoked Riga Sprats at the Russian grocery. They were quite cheap and excellent on rye. Thanks for the recommendation.

2. why

why Senior member

Picked up some smoked Riga Sprats at the Russian grocery. They were quite cheap and excellent on rye. Thanks for the recommendation.

[​IMG]

How much were they? I've seen them for as little as $0.88/6oz. tin at a local discounter.

3. Orrery

Orrery Member

Ah, not that cheap, unfortunately. They were $1.29 apiece. Still, I was happy that they were half as much as the King Oscar brislings I was buying.

4. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I had the Trader Joes oil packed one today and I bought a couple of cans from a European supermarket.

It got kind of boring after a while so I mixed in some whole grain mustard and mashed it then spread it on crackers and it taste pretty good.

5. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Every now and then when my mom was gone somewhere my dad would make what he considered a sardine sandwich. Minced onion, miracle whip, minced pickle, sardines, and tobasco. Fork all that together until mixed and then spread it on toasted (rye) with lettuce. It's quite good but not for the delicate palet.

In Spain I had lovely fresh sardines as tapas and those are quite good but a completely different animal from the salty canned american type.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Why, have you ever tried these? Picked them up at a local Russian deli today. [​IMG]

7. forex

forex Senior member

Why, have you ever tried these? Picked them up at a local Russian deli today.

[​IMG]

Those are great,I happened to pick them up at a local store couple of weeks ago,love'em.
    Do you like?

8. itsstillmatt

Those are great,I happened to pick them up at a local store couple of weeks ago,love'em.
    Do you like?

I will tell you after dinner.

9. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG] we can always count on Matt to come up with some imported exotic version of stuff!

Looks good.

I just bought some King Oscar in EVOO, will see how that taste. [​IMG]

10. why

why Senior member

[​IMG]

Nope, I've only had Latvian sprats from American distributors. Those are the second-most popular brand in Latvia, I think (Gamma Co. being the most popular).

Edit: Just looked at the website and realized I've had the sprats pate. Have 5 cans in the pantry right now. [​IMG]

11. itsstillmatt

Nope, I've only had Latvian sprats from American distributors. Those are the second-most popular brand in Latvia, I think (Gamma Co. being the most popular).

Edit: Just looked at the website and realized I've had the sprats pate. Have 5 cans in the pantry right now. [​IMG]

I couldn't find the ones you posted in SF, but there were tons of these. Hopefully they are good.

12. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Is it bad to consume too much of the oil that comes packed with Sardines? I mean there has to be some sort of preservative in them right?

13. why

why Senior member

Is it bad to consume too much of the oil that comes packed with Sardines? I mean there has to be some sort of preservative in them right?

No. They are canned.

14. dcg

dcg Senior member

The other ones I have now are Crown Prince, wood smoked, packed in mustard. The tin says they're from Scotland. I'm gonna go open those up and give them a try.
    How did you like these? I was inspired by this thread to try sardines for the first time, and ended up with a can of the above. The sardines seemed to be really overpowered by the mustard, but maybe I just got a bad can. edit - I'm a dumbass; you answered this in your next post. I'll have to try them again.

15. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

I like the taste of the king oscar two layer brislings, but I'm having trouble finding the riga sprats [​IMG] are there any great deals on them to be found online?