1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Guide to Buying Canned Sardines

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by why, Feb 1, 2010.

1. arced

arced Senior member

Definitely not cheese, but a good lager complements them very well. They're among one of the few foods that I think beer naturally pairs with (bratwurst and some other Nordic and Germanic foods do as well).

Ok... maybe cheese isn't the best, but there's got to be something more than "serve on a cracker." I do agree with the beer suggestion.

2. why

why Senior member

Ok... maybe cheese isn't the best, but there's got to be something more than "serve on a cracker." I do agree with the beer suggestion.
    Sauteed onions work decently well with them, but they drastically alter the flavor. I'd still have them on bread or crackers if I add onions, but personally I think the onions are just a distraction for people that don't enjoy their pure seafood taste. Ditto for lemon. They are good alongside pierogies, different preparations of potatoes (including latkes), and (of course) salads. I like them with sauteed peas and onions, soups, dumplings, etc. Basically, they work with starches, some vegetables, and spices. That's pretty much how it goes for all fish, especially smoked oily fish. Oddly, they don't work as well with eggs as other smoked fish but they can still work. Hard-boiled eggs seem to work better than fried or poached in terms of flavor and fussiness. All said, I prefer them on rye with lager. Secondarily, I like them alongside sauteed pierogies, peas, and onions (though in this case, I often prefer vodka as a drink -- one of the few times I actually enjoy vodka neat).

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've made a tart with them, on top of sauteed onions, on top of phyllo. It was good, and looked great. I prefer them on black bread with beer.

4. justsayno

justsayno Senior member

Is there any documented long term health effects from eating canned foodstuff? urban myth?

5. k9n

k9n Senior member

wow, thanks for writing this up! I have never had sardines but I am gonna have to try some

6. otc

otc Senior member

Last weekend I was given the opportunity to consume some Riga Sprats. They came in a round gold tin and they were fantastic. only had them by themselves and with a bit of bread but I would love to eat them again with more options.

I will have to find somewhere in chicago to buy more.

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

One of my favorite snacks are sardines or smoked oysters, doused in Louisiana Hot Sauce, and eaten on top of Chicken-n-a-Biscuit.

This was introduced to me by one of the school janitors I used to go catfishing with while I was in high school.

8. kruze

kruze Senior member

Last weekend I was given the opportunity to consume some Riga Sprats. They came in a round gold tin and they were fantastic. only had them by themselves and with a bit of bread but I would love to eat them again with more options.

I will have to find somewhere in chicago to buy more.

I have also tried the Rigas in the gold tin. Got them at this euro/russkiy mart in la jolla. They were good. Better than the stuff I tried at traders.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG] I get these in the 5 pack at Costco.

10. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

I've been living off the $0.75 canned Brunswick sardines for awhile. They've become my go to breakfast as well as a great snack when out and about (playing sports) without many food options. I have a tin of those Riga Sprats as well bought at the local German Deli that I've been meaning to try.

11. j

j Senior member Admin

I remembered this thread while I was eating some herring (Brunswick, Canada, cheap). I am inspired to go on a shopping trip soon to try out some of these. Thanks for posting it.

Any chance of a guide to herring? I saw the post about TJ's and I will head there on my trip.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Tried some King Oscar brand that were packed in olive oil recently. Jesus they were awful.

13. j

j Senior member Admin

I have always bought canned fish pretty much randomly and probably don't know if I've been eating good or bad ones, but the Brunswick are acceptable enough that I keep buying them. I would love it if there is something better out there, especially if it is cheapish.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

If you've got a wholesale club nearby they usually carry packs of the Seasons that I posted above. They're a great deal.

15. j

j Senior member Admin

I will give them a try. Where do they fit in the why-hierarchy?

16. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I will give them a try. Where do they fit in the why-hierarchy?
    Who the hell knows?

17. why

why Senior member

Who the hell knows?
    I mentioned Seasons' Brand in the initial post. I think they have multiple canneries, but the only ones I've seen (or bothered to look at -- I buy the same stuff all the time now unless I see something new) were from Poland.

18. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I just checked the box and they're a "Product of Morocco". Wild caught. Distributed by The Manischewitz Company.

19. j

j Senior member Admin

I went out to a nearby Mediterranean/ethnic market and found Latvian Sprats Pate in the short gold and black can and I'm eating it right now. Pretty good. When I have a chance I will go by the Russian market and see what they have. This market had these and then a bunch of Moroccan sardines, some Mexican ones and some Thai. Any experience with the Mexican or Thai kind (some in tomato or chili sauces)?

20. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Have Titus brand sardines in my pantry. Contains vegetable oil and product of Morocco. Sometimes they're great, othertimes once done eating their after taste will not go away and are a nightmare to burp up.