• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Oh really? Direct from Filson at nearly 35 percent off? Tsk tsk tsk, I didn't know they drop shipped to customers. You learn something new everyday.
Umm...wow. Did I say something wrong?
The UPS tracking had "Seattle" as the point of origin and when it arrived it was in a Filson-branded box.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect it has something to do with Crane's getting hassled by filson for the discounts they offer, which is hypocritical if they are actively participating in such a discount with ebags.
i dont think you did anything wrong, you just got a great deal

Originally Posted by patagoniacommunity
Umm...wow. Did I say something wrong?
The UPS tracking had "Seattle" as the point of origin and when it arrived it was in a Filson-branded box.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RKD added a camera insert to the bag. It doesn't come with one. I have cases for accessories and I wrap my DSLR in a towel and go. The bag is nearly indestructible and water resistant. Great for outdoors stuff. I use it when I chase storms or might get caught in the rain.

I really like this camera bag idea. How does the camera sit in it - sideways? lens up? I would worry a bit that there is not enough padding if it got dropped or banged in some way. My camera bag is ugly, nylon, and about 25 years old, but it does protect the camera and lenses.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zazaza
I suspect it has something to do with Crane's getting hassled by filson for the discounts they offer, which is hypocritical if they are actively participating in such a discount with ebags.
i dont think you did anything wrong, you just got a great deal

Correct. We get hassled about staying competitive while ebags can get away with even steeper discounts then what we offer.

Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I really like this camera bag idea. How does the camera sit in it - sideways? lens up? I would worry a bit that there is not enough padding if it got dropped or banged in some way. My camera bag is ugly, nylon, and about 25 years old, but it does protect the camera and lenses.

It looks like RKD has it setup to sit on it's side with a lens attached. What he has rigged up is pretty much what my small canvas Domke bag would do with about the same amount of protection. From the looks of it you could line the bottom with more foam if you were worrying about dropping it. I'm one that thinks dropping a camera in anything but a Pelikan hard case is something you don't want to do padding or not.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like RKD has it setup to sit on it's side with a lens attached. What he has rigged up is pretty much what my small canvas Domke bag would do with about the same amount of protection. From the looks of it you could line the bottom with more foam if you were worrying about dropping it. I'm one that thinks dropping a camera in anything but a Pelikan hard case is something you don't want to do padding or not.

yeah he is exactly right^

you can always put more foam and padding but mine is fine the way it is. the bag makes a great camera bag and looks awesome

chiamdream

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between the Pullman (243) and Large Carryon (242). They appear to be pretty much the same size. The only difference I can see is that the Carryon has a flap that covers the outside a la the briefcases, which doesn't seem worth an extra $60. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiamdream
I'm trying to decide between the Pullman (243) and Large Carryon (242). They appear to be pretty much the same size. The only difference I can see is that the Carryon has a flap that covers the outside a la the briefcases, which doesn't seem worth an extra $60. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

i have the pullman and i love it. like you i was considering the two and opted for the pullman solely because i didn't want to deal with the flap every time i needed to get in the bag. i don't think you can go wrong with either, though. they're both awesome.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is a great "why didn't i think of that!" idea.
RKD, where did you get your insert?

Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
yeah he is exactly right^

you can always put more foam and padding but mine is fine the way it is. the bag makes a great camera bag and looks awesome

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can get foam at any art supplies store like michaels etc.

or you can get inserts at any camera store.

i got mine from a canon camera bag and just took the inserts out and put it into the filson

pekklemon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
just got my filson small field bag in tan for my camera!!!

shapeimage_3.png

shapeimage_4.png

shapeimage_5.png

shapeimage_6.png

shapeimage_7.png

what camera insert did you use rkd?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its from the canon rebel bag. all the inserts are foam and velcro. so i just pulled them all out and attached them by the velcro into a bucket shape

vce56

Reaction score
Which filson bag do you recommend for a junior doctor. I was looking at the saddle briefcase bag. I've never used a shoulder strap style bag before, having always used backpacks. Are shoulder straps comfortable? Is the weight of the bag distributed well across the body? and is it easy to run with the a shoulder strap bag? Thanks. I will need to carry a laptop, one large textbook. a stethoscope, and maybe a filson guide vest and mackinaw cap. is the saddle briefcase bag too large. or would the passage medium dispatch bag be better? http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...cat=286&page=2 http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...cat=286&page=2 http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...cat=286&page=1 What do you guys think of the saddle bags compared with the 257? Thanks

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a 257 and the saddlebag briefcase. The saddlebag is now my everyday briefcase. The design is much more suited to today's technology advanced business person. As far as organization is concerned it's a well thought out bag. Laptop sits in it's own compartment. The other compartment has dividers in it to keep things organized. Its possible you could use this compartment for a change
fight[1].gif
of clothes or two. It's got avmagazine compartment on the back and the two flapped pockets hold all the small stuff and keeps it organized as well.

Mine's loaded up and weighs over twenty pounds. The shoulder strap does come in handy and is relatively comfortable. I would not run with it though. Sounds like it would be a bad deal.

With all of this said keep in mind the 257 is still a great bag. I switched because I carry entirely too much gadgetry and paperwork for my own good.

Racove

Reaction score
i see your point about the saddleback bag. too bad the passage line is ugly

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads