1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Sep 30, 2009.

1. the_state

the_state Senior member

how do the mackinaw cruisers fit compared to american brands (j crew, gap, etc)?

would 42 fit like a large from these brands?

2. laughter95

laughter95 Senior member

Can the Original Briefcase (256) fit a 13" Macbook? Really looking to pick up one of these...

[​IMG]

Yes. I have one. It fits one moderate to large (2000 pg) textbook plus a mbp, some folders and some spiral bound notebooks. It's one of my favorite things I own.

3. the shah

the shah Senior member

Yes. I have one. It fits one moderate to large (2000 pg) textbook plus a mbp, some folders and some spiral bound notebooks. It's one of my favorite things I own.

the 256 fits a ridiculous amount of stuff. steel water bottle, massive book, notebook, 13" laptop, etc.
    you will break before it does.

4. JN41

JN41 Well-Known Member

So if the 256 holds a macbook comfortably is there any need to go to the 257? I'm in the market for one of the two but not sure which to get...

5. dragonxking

dragonxking Senior member

So if the 256 holds a macbook comfortably is there any need to go to the 257? I'm in the market for one of the two but not sure which to get...

it depends on what else you want to carry. I can fit a 15" mbp and a couple text books. keep in mind that the 256 isn't padded on the inside, so you'll want a sleeve to cover the macbook while it's in the bag.

6. the_state

the_state Senior member

it depends on what else you want to carry. I can fit a 15" mbp and a couple text books. keep in mind that the 256 isn't padded on the inside, so you'll want a sleeve to cover the macbook while it's in the bag.

is the 257 padded? i almost feel like i can fit an SLR body + lens in the 257. shit is brolic.

7. patagoniacommunity

patagoniacommunity Active Member

looking at the dimensions for the 258 and thanks to your response Skree, I can safely assume I need to replace my 257 with a 258
    Anyone interested in a swap? I'll make a thread in the market sooner or later
    I might just wind up buying one in otter green and having the 257 as an alternate although i would hate for it to collect dust

I personally like having that extra zippered compartment that the 258 offers. The 257 is a great, handy size but I like having the ability to carry more in my bag, so the 258 works for me. With the 257, if I put my laptop and power brick in there, plus my wallet, sunglasses, memory keys, and phone, it makes it crowded should I need to also stuff in a light jacket or extra files. The separate organizing compartment of the 258 allows me easy access to all of the little stuff that would get lost in the 257's main compartment.

8. the shah

the shah Senior member

my 13" w/sleeve goes in the 256 along with the plethora of other items i listed before

i even went on trip with the laptop, a minolta 7s (lens doesnt come off) in a thick leather case, a wool scarf, and a grapefruit all inside the 256

9. Fiddy

Fiddy Senior member

I can fit my 15" MBP and a 15" Lenovo (each in a padded sleeve) plus power cables and a wireless mouse in my 256. It's tight, but everything fits just fine.

10. Najee D.

Najee D. Senior member

basho - I checked every floor of the Belmont location a few weeks ago, no Filson. If I'm in the neighborhood sometime I'll do another wander through though.

Check again. They've got filson bags on the 1st floor and a few filson items up on the third floor. From memory, they've got the wool cargo pants (olive & charcoal), waxed rain jacket, wool bomber, reversible vest, (maybe) waxed pant or overall, and a couple of other outerwear pieces. All the Filson items are currently 20% off there.

11. laughter95

laughter95 Senior member

idk, never seen a 257 in real life, but i know i don't want anything heavier than this 256. the bulk (or compactness, depending on how u look at it) is perfect for me. add a handle grip thing and it's perfect.

12. JN41

JN41 Well-Known Member

13. Fiddy

Fiddy Senior member

I purchased the 257 initially and ended up replacing it with the 256. Unless you're hauling a metric ton of stuff, the 256 is perfect IMO.

14. Napoleon

Napoleon Senior member

I own a Filson Medium Field Bag, which I bought this summer from Copenhagen. Great bag, I use it for school everyday. Only thing that I find negative is the opening of the bag. That it's a bit smaller, but I've thought of sewing it up some time soon so that bigger books can fit in it.

15. insideman

insideman Senior member

looking at the dimensions for the 258 and thanks to your response Skree, I can safely assume I need to replace my 257 with a 258
    Anyone interested in a swap? I'll make a thread in the market sooner or later
    I might just wind up buying one in otter green and having the 257 as an alternate although i would hate for it to collect dust

what color is your 257?

16. js0930

js0930 Senior member

just fyi, filson.com just put a some stuff on discount, so might be worth taking a look (especially if you want this stuff for hunting/shooting).

17. the_state

the_state Senior member

just fyi, filson.com just put a some stuff on discount, so might be worth taking a look (especially if you want this stuff for hunting/shooting).

what kinda shit?

18. js0930

js0930 Senior member

shooting jackets, gloves some other stuff. just go to the website and click on web specials.

19. djh

djh Senior member

WTB a Filson 256 - preferably Otter Green. Condition doesn't really matter. PM me.

20. Wilfried

Wilfried Member

One of the sale items is a lined oil finish timberline jacket. It looks like it might a useful spring/fall jacket. Does anyone have an opinion on it?

Are there any free shipping coupons about these days? All the ones I turned up seem to be expired.