• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

vce56

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Is there much "give" in the fabric in the 257, more give than the saddle briefcase? Is the saddle briefcase a lot more rigid?

Thanks

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racove
i see your point about the saddleback bag. too bad the passage line is ugly

They grow on you when you're around them in person. Pics don't do the bag any good at all.

Originally Posted by vce56
Thanks for the replies. Is there much "give" in the fabric in the 257, more give than the saddle briefcase? Is the saddle briefcase a lot more rigid?

Thanks

22 ounce waxed twill doesn't stretch if that's what you mean and neither does 16 ounce nylon twill. The passage line is definitely more rigid.

jm333

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iDoc
Sent my Apolis x Filson 256 back to Filson to have the handgrip installed for $20- includes parts, labor, and return shipping.

Just got a 256 in brown for Christmas. Loving it except I want to add handgrip. Just called Filson customer service and they quoted me $37.50 ($10 for part, $20 for labor, $7.50 for return shipping).

Did you really get all this for $20?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jm333
Just got a 256 in brown for Christmas. Loving it except I want to add handgrip. Just called Filson customer service and they quoted me $37.50 ($10 for part, $20 for labor, $7.50 for return shipping).

Did you really get all this for $20?

That's what we charge. In fact we started ordering 256s with it already installed along with the normal model.

Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
http://outlandusa.com has 20% off on all Filson items and free shipping until January 4

We pretty much do that all the time.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My bad.

LOL! Not really. Take a look at Filson's site. Even THEY are having a 20% off sale. Gee I wonder where they got that idea from?

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
My bad.
Not at all. While Crane's does indeed have great deals, it's always nice to hear about other deals out there. Keep em coming!

warrengharding

Reaction score
I am moving somewhere where the temperature is subzero (down to -10 F today after windchill). Would the single or double Mackinaw work for this? Any other filson products that would work at these temps?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The double mac is a good choice for subzero temps. Another good choice is the field coat or outfitter coat with a mac wool jacket liner. The advantage with this setup is you have a solid wind/water barrier over a mac wool coat. You can add lighter liners for days that aren't as obnoxious. Think of it as a 3 season setup versus a hard Winter setup.

Don't forget that no matter how warm the coat is if you don't protect your head hands and feet you'll still be cold and miserable.

Godot

Reaction score
I have a oil finish coat that I've worn about two years, so I guess it's time to re-wax. Never done this before-anyone got a link on how to or any suggestions?
thanks

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson does this if you contact them.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Godot
I have a oil finish coat that I've worn about two years, so I guess it's time to re-wax. Never done this before-anyone got a link on how to or any suggestions?
thanks

You can do it yourself rather easily. You'll need at least two of the small cans of wax to pull it off and a hairdryer along with a rag. Warm up the wax with the hairdryer. Heat up a section of the coat with the hair dryer and liberally apply the wax with the rag using a circular motion. Do small sections at a time and don't worry about it being even. You'll fix that later. Once you get it waxed hang the coat using a coat hanger and heat it up until you see the wax melt and disappear into the fabric. Once you're done look it over and add wax to the areas you missed and on the high wear areas again. Melt it in and you are done. It takes a while but once you get the hang of it things go quicker. I can do one of my coats with two coats of wax in about an hour or so. It'll probably take you about 2 hours the first time you try it.

Godot

Reaction score
OK-will go to second hand store tomorrow and buy a dryer. thanks

Adubz

Reaction score
Anybody here happen to have any experience using the Filson 222 as an airplane carry-on? The girlfriend got it for me as a belated Xmas present and I love it. However it seems like it maybe a tad too big according to the airlines' checked baggage limitation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads