• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essential Outerwear Pieces Every Man Should Own in the Northeast?

Volkl

Reaction score
Agreed--the hard part in Boston is when not cold enough for the overcoat. My leather jacket looks dumb with suits, and I don't have the right thing. I suggest a good cashmere scarf or two to allow you to be warm with not enough of an outer coat in these in-between seasons.

I have never known what a peacoat is and always forget to google it after seeing it here.

Originally Posted by alebrady
then i would still go with my initial thought:

- overcoat
- raincoat (trench, barbour, whatever you prefer)
- some sort of offseason coat (lether, car coat - something to wear when the overcoat is too heavy)

to me, that would seem to be the most minimal, versatile stock

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by East Oakland
If you don't need an overcoat, why would you need a peacoat? If it's not cold enough for an overcoat, is it really cold enough for a peacoat? They basically serve the same function, with the overcoat just being something more formal that would look appropriate with a suit.

I don't need a fancy overcoat to wear with a suit because if I'm wearing a suit I likely don't need any additional cover (other than rain cover and in that case a trench works fine). Plus, a peacoat is certainly more appropriate with jeans.

Station

Reaction score
I have a deep-seated dislike for peacoats, overcoats, leather coats... A mac and a barbour — the right quilted jacket, perhaps — are just about the only pieces of outerwear I care for. Duffel coats are okay, just not very me.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want "essential" in the sense of "I make the rules--here they are," you could probably find that in Roetzel's Gentleman book or Andy's CD-ROM.

If you mean "essential" in the sense of, what needs do I need to meet -- then there is going to be different ways to assemble a small rotation that could get you through the year. I'd see the needs as --

Something light for rain and perhaps warmth in three seasons.

Something that fits over a suit without dressing it down -- something dark, wool, 3/4 or full length.

Something more substantial for terrible cold weather.

Right now I have a Barbour Ayr for lightweight rain, a thrifted vicuna crombie, and one of those Gloverall duffle coats. All in navy. This little rotation could get me through a year in the Northeast, I think.

I like leather jackets fine. Some have a lot of personality and get tiresome quick; others you may or may not want to rough up in bad weather. They can be like plaid sport coats: fun to wear sometimes, not fun to wear every day. Or they can be like fine leather accessories: not something you subject to freezing rain.

Not sure I could build a good minimalist outerwear rotation around a leather coat--unless I was retired or rarely went to work.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
If you want "essential" in the sense of "I make the rules--here they are," you could probably find that in Roetzel's Gentleman book or Andy's CD-ROM.

If you mean "essential" in the sense of, what needs do I need to meet -- then there is going to be different ways to assemble a small rotation that could get you through the year. I'd see the needs as --

Something that fits over a suit without dressing it down -- something dark, wool, 3/4 or full length.

Right now I have a Barbour Ayr for lightweight rain, a thrifted vicuna crombie, and one of those Gloverall duffle coats. All in navy. This little rotation could get me through a few years in the Northeast.

I like leather jackets fine. Some have a lot of personality and get tiresome quick; others you may or may not want to rough up in bad weather. I don't think I could build a good minimalist outerwear rotation around a leather coat unless I was retired or rarely went to work.

Good suggestions,

And I mean "essentials" in the latter sense: needs-based in the northeast for a man who works in an office environment (i.e. I'm not shoveling snow)

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll also want to get good at layering. You will need sweaters. You can go well into late fall without needing more than a heavy sport coat, a sweater of some kind, gloves and maybe a scarf and hat. If you have all those things, that cuts down on the need to wear the consecutive days you'll need a duffle or equivalent.

Many sweaters in basic colors will be a good investment for the first winter in the northeast. Vests, v-necks, and crewnecks in lambswool, shetland, cashmere, etc.

alebrady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
So what's the best alternative to the classic trench when it comes to warmth + rain/snow protection?

I'd like to get a trench just worried that a Boston winter would render it useless unless I've got a warm coat under it

when i lived in boston, the problem in the winter wasnt so much protection from rain so much as just warmth (i.e. you typically wouldn't be wearing a trench in the winter for functional use, youd be wearing the overcoat).

the immediate substitute for a trench that comes to my mind is one of the barbour models. it can potentially be a more casual association (certainly, ok with biz casual dont think id feel terribly comfortable with a suit underneath). trenches often come with a removable lining - certainly does not eliminate the need for the overcoat but does make the trench more wearable in colder weather. the barbours also can have linings to extend their use.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alebrady
when i lived in boston, the problem in the winter wasnt so much protection from rain so much as just warmth (i.e. you typically wouldn't be wearing a trench in the winter for functional use, youd be wearing the overcoat).

the immediate substitute for a trench that comes to my mind is one of the barbour models. it can potentially be a more casual association (certainly, ok with biz casual dont think id feel terribly comfortable with a suit underneath). trenches often come with a removable lining - certainly does not eliminate the need for the overcoat but does make the trench more wearable in colder weather. the barbours also can have linings to extend their use.

I think I'm going to give some serious thought to the Barbour coats as a trench alternative

tpynchon

Reaction score
Here's the thing about Boston that no one has really mentioned--you walk so much that you have to be worried about overheating. You don't want to be sweating by the time you get to your destination so I recommend easily removable layers--sweater, gloves, hat and scarf. As for essentials, I would offer that you need one coat for when its wet but not cold; I use a trench. And one coat for when its cold or wet+ cold; I use a 3/4 length wool/cashmere overcoat.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, a trench or polo coat with a heavy umbrella, leather gloves and ankle boots over your suit should do well enough. The boots aren't negotiable at all. Leather soles and slippery iced cement do not mix.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey

Not sure I could build a good minimalist outerwear rotation around a leather coat--unless I was retired or rarely went to work.

THIS. Dewey is one of the few who have considered the Boston climate in their responses. A mac or trench with a removable liner will get you through until it hits freezing and then a substantial overcoat is your friend. For a more casual coat to round things out, I would consider a shearling coat (not jacket) to keep you warm and smart.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Station
I have a deep-seated dislike for peacoats, overcoats, leather coats... A mac and a barbour "” the right quilted jacket, perhaps "” are just about the only pieces of outerwear I care for. Duffel coats are okay, just not very me.

I can't warm up to a duffel, either. 'Can't put my finger on the reason why. I mean, I came around to liking the monkstrap shoe so you'd think it would be a short hop. Maybe it's my dislike for General Montgomery.

Bartolo

Reaction score
A nice trench with a removeable lining will serve you well in Boston. There are many months worth of weather here that do NOT require something substantially warmer -- starting in the early fall you will sometimes want the trench unlined, then as the fall progresses you'll eventually want the liner. Yes you'll want something warmer when the real cold hits, but then again come late winter the trench with a liner will be warm enough many days.

Weather here is crazy. It was 32 degrees and snowing on Sunday, and tomorrow it will hit 70.

For weekday/business use, a lot depends on your mode of transportation. I would invest a LOT more in outerwear if I took the T and then walked a few blocks to the office every day. But I drive and keep my car in a garage that's attached to my home. So my outerwear is mostly for going out to lunch.

*Edit* My outerwear at this time includes a trench with removable wool lining, a shearling coat for the real cold and for sitting through youth hockey games in cold rinks, and a black cashmere topcoat.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
I think I'm going to give some serious thought to the Barbour coats as a trench alternative

I'm in Chicago, which might be a bit colder than Boston. I've gotten by for the last decade

- one full-length cashmere, dark gray (evening out, below freezing)
- car length leather (below freezing, wet)
- car length raincoat (above freezing wet)
- car length wool (below freezing, dry)

I prefer car-length because, well, I'm usually driving and the Z4 M Coupe seating position makes the longer coat a hassle, though the Smart would be no trouble.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads