• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heads up on GAP Chambray shirt.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nohomo
I have the Gap chambray as well. Overall I'm happy with it. It does have really crappy buttons and I think the sleeve opening is too wide, but I was able to get it for 11 bucks, so I can't complain.

Holy ****, why did you get it for $11?!?! I feel so ripped off now. But I think it is worth what I paid.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nohomo
I have the Gap chambray as well. Overall I'm happy with it. It does have really crappy buttons and I think the sleeve opening is too wide, but I was able to get it for 11 bucks, so I can't complain.

OOO.. I wish you hadn't mentioned the buttons. I was thinking about those last night and how much it would cost to get them replaced with some MoP or similar... They feel like they'll eventually snap in half.

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
OOO.. I wish you hadn't mentioned the buttons. I was thinking about those last night and how much it would cost to get them replaced with some MoP or similar... They feel like they'll eventually snap in half.
They are metal buttons. Pretty sure they aren't going to snap in half. It's funny how people want period/elevated details but then can't notice them on common stuff.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ohhai
They are metal buttons. Pretty sure they aren't going to snap in half. It's funny how people want period/elevated details but then can't notice them on common stuff.
Are you sure? Mine look and feel like thin, cheap plastic... There's 2 different chambray shirts, one with open pockets and one with button down flapped pockets (don't know the term). I have the latter... Maybe there's a difference between the two? I'm not really into "period" details, I just want it to fit, look decent, and be somewhat durable.
biggrin.gif
I only mention MoP because I absolutely love pearl button snaps on western shirts... Hey, if I've gotta replace the buttons, might as well go whole hog...
wink.gif

Ohhai

Reaction score
Both my shirts are metal buttons. The white paint is even wearing off my blue chambray buttons.

I can't speak for 100% of the shirts but I suspect they are all metal.

But yeah if you find a MoP snap button chambray, let me know, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got it, didn't seem to fit at the time, sat on returning it because I didn't want to pay the fee to return by mail and didn't want to go to the mall. Tried it on just now because of this thread and it is much better than I remember. Will keep.

Also buttons are metal (flap pocket version) on mine.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got home and checked.. holy crap, they are metal! Maybe I'm just so used to plastic buttons I don't know WTF I'm looking/feeling. :/

<-- ignorant, apparently.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The buttons are terrible. The paint peels off quite easily. The cloth is just so-so, and the construction is not so great. The best thing about the shirt is the fit, which is quite good.

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
The buttons are terrible. The paint peels off quite easily. The cloth is just so-so, and the construction is not so great. The best thing about the shirt is the fit, which is quite good.
The forum has proved the buttons don't matter since people can't even spot plastic vs metal. And I love the fact the paint fades. ****, even my painted CvsF buttons fade. I'm not sure how you want painted metal not to lose paint after wash and dry.

duckdown

Reaction score
ive own the gap blue and grey chambrys..fit was ok...but materials and construction made me return them

and i got em both for 30% off

: /

rather spend my money on something else

Eccentric

Reaction score
I don't know what all the complaints are about, really. It is a $50 shirt with tax that fits well off the shelf. Of course it isn't hand stitched selvedge chambray, but for the money it is quite nice. Just wore mine (blue, flap pockets) for most of today before changing out for O-Chem lab. I'm thinking I may buy the grey one before too long.

nohomo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by itsjustadrian
Why do you guys even bother with it if it won't even last a season?

Why wouldn't it last a season? It's not a OCBD where it'll lose its color around the collar and sleeves. And I doubt it'll get a hole or have stitching fall off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads