• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by moby
hey SF, I'm a 16 year old jobless high school student, but I want to clean up my wardrobe.

I'm looking for fall/winter clothes, I'm bored of wearing big north faces. I'm actually trying to look for a fall jacket and some long sleeves. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Rosenberg
how do you get new stuff without a job? please share

I save up the money my parents give me.

Originally Posted by Biscotti
If you don't have a fair amount of money, then don't buy expensive clothes! Use that money for dates, concerts, drugs, etc. I know I might sound preachy here, but what I rambled off is far more important than rags.

I prefer solid colors and regular fits. Nothing too bulky. A typical fit for me last winter would be a grey sweater, a pair of regular fit levis, and some burgundy adidas hi tops. I hope that helps.

Yo moby I was in your exact position a few years ago, PM me if you want more detailed advice.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AHShadow
Thanks, well I kinda know what direction I want to go. I just want to be sure if the stuff I want to buy would fit in my budget, what should I buy first since I do have a budget and if the stuff I want are good purchases. My style I would like to emulate would probably be a college student type: simple, clean look. (I guess that's a bit of SF uniform?)
College-student type would be A&F/Hollister, cargo shorts, and flip-flops.
tounge.gif
Seriously, it sounds like you want the basic "uniform" and that's cool. It's a straight-forward wardrobe.
Soo these are the objects I would like to get: 1 APC NS Jeans can't go wrong, although consider 3sixteen, Crate as alternatives 1 Cheap Monday Black jeans (idk which kinda a fit though) 1 Nice white shoes (Vans w)taps? or JP or others?) get whichever white kicks! cheap nice ones include some basic Nikes, Lavers, JP, Chucks, Vans, etc... 1 Black pair of shoes (Vans w)taps/JP) sure, i don't like black w/ raw denim but that's me 1 Clark's Desert Boots (I think I would get the grey one) x assorted V-Neck sweaters (probably from J.Crew or would Uniqlo fit/be better?)not sure x nice Shirts (I need/want a black, blue, white shirt and maybe some gingham for example: Epaulet's x SF shirts, I would like a Black/White gingham prob from J.Crew again, and am interested in a Grey Chambray (I read that J.Crew's is not that bad)) black shirt? black gingham? blue, white? read below 9-10 or so colored AA shirts (what is the difference between the 2001' and the one's you find in the store nowadays?) fit and shrinkage, 1 Sterlingwear Peacoat and would like ideas for scarves and nice belts. Soo yeah, would those clothes be a good start?
Sounds like a lot of black. A TON of black. Black sneaks, black jeans, black gingham, black shirt...maybe consider some color? That's just my opinion though...

wallabeing

Reaction score
If you're looking in Manhattan, go to Uniqlo. There you will find inexpensive, good clothes that fit well. You can get just about everything there: sweaters, pants, jeans, OCBDs, tshirts, light fall jackets, whatever and in my experience, most things there are pretty good quality.
I'm actually on yelp trying to look for shops in manhattan that fit my budget and style, but I guess I might as well go out and shop instead. Thanks for your advice.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AHShadow
Hello, I'm pretty much a newbie in fashion and clothing, but I think that my "fashion sense" is starting to pick up, since just last year I was wearing T-Shirt's a medium and have retrograded to XS-S. I don't have much of SF approved stuff, since I wanted to wait and lurk more to see what I would like for "my style".

I'm still in cegep, which is inbetween University and High School, so I don't have that much money. I'm still willing to spend a bit more then your usual high school student who buys at AE, Hollister, Abercrombie, etc. though. Since my birthday is passed, I got a bit of money to spend on clothes now, so I think it's a good time to start changing my wardrobe a bit.

My usual clothes I would wear would be:
AA Hoodie
I <3 NY T-shirt/ Basic T-shirt
GAP japanese selvedge jeans which fit me too big, so I sag them.
Grey High-Top Converse

or instead of the AA Hoodie, I would put on a AA Cardigan.

After a few months of lurking, I'm interested in buying a new pair of Raw jeans (probably APC or Crate?), a nice black pair of jeans (probably cheaper...like Cheap Monday's?) some nice shirts (I would really like to have a Epaulet Flannel), a few v-neck sweaters, a new hoodie (I would really like a W+H Terry hoodie) a nice peacoat (interested in Sterlingwear), new shoes (would like to have nice white shoes like JP or maybe Vans) and I need to buy like 10 colored AA t-shirts and a few more White basics.

I live in montreal and I don't really know where to buy any clothes, so I'll probably have to buy stuff online, since the only place I saw that sold APC NS were at 220, which I find way too expensive.
I'm an XS in like everything except AA, cause the XS AA t-shirts are a bit too tight on me, so I get small.

My chest measurement is approx. 34, my waist is a bit less than 28.

I have a budget of approx 500-700$ and I would like to have some a kinda nice wardrobe for the winter, since my Guess Peacoat I bought last year is like huge on me and I'm tired of always wearing the same thing. But I would like to know where to start. Thanks alot in advance!

Oh, and if anyone would have any good recommendations for a nice scarf, it would be nice.

Before you go out and drop five bills on a new wardrobe, you should step back and realize you're spending hundreds of dollars on an incredibly bland wardrobe that consists 95% of jeans and plain t-shirts, a look that 95% of every other student your age throws together without thought/effort on a Sunday afternoon when they have nothing to do but sit at home on a rainy day.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Before you go out and drop five bills on a new wardrobe, you should step back and realize you're spending hundreds of dollars on an incredibly bland wardrobe that consists 95% of jeans and plain t-shirts, a look that 95% of every other student your age throws together without thought/effort on a Sunday afternoon when they have nothing to do but sit at home on a rainy day.

+1. Levis instead of APCs, and AA button-ups instead of Epaulet will really accomplish the same thing: looking clean enough to party/get laid. If I were you I'd save the extra dough for beer money.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I wouldn't recommend AA button ups over Epaulet...

I normally wouldn't either but if price is really an issue then some things have to give...

I normally wouldn't recommend Levis over Crate/APC/3sixteen but again...

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
I'd rather invest spending more money into jeans than tops due to the fact that you'll end up wearing the same jeans everyday.

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could someone direct me to some brands that make short sleeve sweatshirts? I know skull makes, but they don't carry 42(large). Thanks

AHShadow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by itsjustadrian
For your black jeans, just go with some Levi's 511 skinnies. Easily one of the more better fitting styles for under $50. I'd also swap out the Clarks DB's for the sand suede color as it's definitely more versatile than the grey ones.
Thanks, I'll probably get the Sand Suede instead of grey. I don't know if I want to get the 511 since I tried some on and they were way too much tight for my liking. I sized up one afterwards and it was still tight. I'm more into Slim-Fitting jeans instead of Skinny jeans since I have quite big thighs cause I played soccer for like 8 years. Though I don't really know any other nice Black slim fitting jeans that are under 100$...
Originally Posted by breakz
College-student type would be A&F/Hollister, cargo shorts, and flip-flops.
tounge.gif
Seriously, it sounds like you want the basic "uniform" and that's cool. It's a straight-forward wardrobe. Sounds like a lot of black. A TON of black. Black sneaks, black jeans, black gingham, black shirt...maybe consider some color? That's just my opinion though...

Yeah, well after thinking a bit, I think I'll not buy the black sneaks. But yeah, I do like black & white since I know they will fit me well, and since I don't have a good wardrobe yet, going with the basics should be first no? I would like to get some colors though, that's why I want the Epaulet Flannel.

AHShadow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel

Well the only thing that costs alot would be the Epaulet shirt and the APC Jeans. Since I'll be wearing the jeans almost everyday, I think it should justify the price I pay for it. I don't have a good reason to get the Epaulet Shirt expect that I really find it nice, and would want to see what it feels like to get "superior" materiel instead of the usual Gap, J.Crew, etc.

The rest of my stuff very basic, but I guess every wardrobe needs the basics to "evolve", no? What would you suggest me to do instead however?

Again, would anybody know where to buy a nice scarf for winter and some nice tanner and brown belts for my jeans? Thanks again SF.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For your winter scarf: check out Wings + Horns scarves from Farinelli's or Context. $40-50. For belts, give Secret Service a call or look into Tanner Belts. So "basic" colors hinge on what looks good on you. Black isn't a must-own as it doesn't look good on everyone (and it can be too somber). White, grey, and navy are considered the "basic" colors since they work for the majority. EDIT: AHShadow, we're divided here about whether a wardrobe evolves from basics or whether it's better to save cash and get what you like. My answer: make the call for yourself. You sound like you'd prefer basics for now so give that a shot. Just...use Trendy Blanks if you're set on AA shirts.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wahwho11
Could someone direct me to some brands that make short sleeve sweatshirts? I know skull makes, but they don't carry 42(large). Thanks

alt. apparel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics