• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Neighbors are Harassing My Dog

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to read Mano's previous posts and I sincerely hope the rest of them sparkle as much as his gems in this thread.
smile.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
I have to weigh in. The OP is clearly in the wrong. Who cares what the neighbors are doing. The OP is responsible for the dog and the dog is causing problems. Do your part to fix the problem. Or you could be a dick and end up in a possibly dangerous confrontation with said neighbors.

Take care of the problem that YOU created.

And part of taking care is in this case making sure the neighbors don't antagonise the dog any further than it already is.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
I have to weigh in. The OP is clearly in the wrong. Who cares what the neighbors are doing. The OP is responsible for the dog and the dog is causing problems. Do your part to fix the problem. Or you could be a dick and end up in a possibly dangerous confrontation with said neighbors.

Take care of the problem that YOU created.

OP is the guy who was whining about being a 'victim of the housing crisis' so the lack of responsibility is not surprising

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
It always amuses me to see the foolish actions that some animal owners resort to. Clearly, if you have resorted to buying a device that eletrically shocks your animal when it barks, barking was one characteristic you did not want in your potential pet.

So, where did you get the astoundingly bright idea to buy a dog, the only animal on the face of the planet that barks?

Not buy, acquired.

Originally Posted by mano
I'm an idiot for responding after saying I wouldn't.

Listen, you seem to be a good guy who is in over his head.

The issue is not stopping the dog from barking in one day.

The issue is stop annoying the neighbors. You figure out how to do it and quit making excuses or thinking of ways why it can't be done.

Thanks

Originally Posted by JLibourel
There's barking and barking. A dog that barks when somebody comes to the door or there's other good cause is fine. A dog that just incessantly barks his fool head off, as many do, is a nuisance to everybody.

My last *****, Tessa, would often go for weeks without making a sound. Tosas are very quiet dogs. They are disqualified if they make a sound during a dogfight.

The dog really doesnt bark unless its startled or somoene is at the door. Its not barking, its the whining/crying. Somewhat abnormal behavior.

Originally Posted by Reggs
Easy, get a shock collar. If your girlfriend protests, buy a 2nd one.

Edit: Already mentioned. Another quick fix is to sedate the dog. If you take it to the vet, you can also get it anti-anxiety meds.

We have tried the anti anxiety meds and they seem to have the opposite affect - the vet says that this can happen.

Originally Posted by VKK3450
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that you havent even spoken to your neighbors about this at all?

Its possible they have no idea of your situation or your intentions to rectify it.

People respond very well to a little bit of courtesy and some information of the situation.

Try telling them about the dog and your efforts / intentions to rectify it. If they still have issues then agree that if things arent better by a certain date you will look at other options (getting rid of the dog).

K

This is what we are going to do. For whatever reason that is a little more difficult than it should be for us. I was going to go over there today, alone, but its pouring rain all day.

Originally Posted by Night Owl
OP is the guy who was whining about being a 'victim of the housing crisis' so the lack of responsibility is not surprising

How am I not taking responsibility? This whole thread has been about what we are going to do to try and fix the situation. Same thing with the other post. I held on to the house at a great financial loss to me and sold it straight up. Simply bemoaning my situation on a webboard full of people I somewhat respect in order to get peoples takes on things doesnt make me irresponsible.

Originally Posted by limping_decorum
you live in detroit?

if so....burn the neighbors house down.

chances are are no one will notice or care.

Haha, I live in a suburb. Although that thought has crossed my mind
smile.gif

Ok - quick update. Mix of responses here. Pretty much everyone thinks I am the asshole for trying to do the right thing. I should have left the original post about how my neighbors were harssing the dog, and left it at that. 90% of the post have missed the point, which was that the neighbors were being ******. Our condo is set up kind of funny. We are only about 10ft from the property line, and the neighbors deck is only about 10ft from the line on the other side. Since the deck is raised, its practically looking into our second floor windows, which has started to really creep us out. This is somewhat irrelevant to this discussion, other than I personally believe that we (by we, I mean she), are just being overly sensitive and paranoid. We/I are going to go next door and play dumb. "Hi, we are your new neighbors. Just wanted to come over and introduce ourselfs. We have a dog we have been having some problems with, but its getting better. PS, if your on the deck or on the ground around the deck around the windows, she might bark. " Its been pointed out that people tend to have a hard time being mean to people that they know, (kind of a face with a name sort of thing).

Also - the GF and I had at it the other night, and she agreed to get rid of the dog if we cant get her under control ASAP.

On that front, there has been a pretty remarkable change over the last couple of days. We had some good walks where we practiced the pack leadership stuff that everyone talks about. We also got her cage, and have been getting her to go in it. We practiced leaving and coming back for an hour each day. Still dont know for sure if she is behaving when we are gone for a couple of hours, but we havent seen the behaivor when we return.

Finally - I am letting this stress me out way too much. Its not necessary. I have 1004 other things I should be stressed out about other than if my neighbors like my dog.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

I am done. G-night!

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
Also - the GF and I had at it the other night, and she agreed to get rid of the dog if we cant get her under control ASAP.

Did she cry?

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Did she cry?

no more than usual.

Nah, I shouldnt talk ****, she is a cool girl, she gets it.

Dog has been much better since, although it apparently has a bladder infection.

That said, the neighbors have a lot of nerve dinging us for our dog, their dog (something big, not sure what breed) barks all the time, and loud too as soon as it goes outside. Oh well, its 'close the windows' time anyways.

Thanks again for all the comments.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
no more than usual. Nah, I shouldnt talk ****, she is a cool girl, she gets it. Dog has been much better since, although it apparently has a bladder infection. That said, the neighbors have a lot of nerve dinging us for our dog, their dog (something big, not sure what breed) barks all the time, and loud too as soon as it goes outside. Oh well, its 'close the windows' time anyways. Thanks again for all the comments.
Bastards! Edit: I meant; bastard?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only read the OP, didn't have time to read the rest. I went through something similar a few years ago. In addition to the crate, buy a citronella bark collar (it sprays some citronella in front of the dog's nose when they bark, a smell they dislike) they work well and don't harm the dog. after a week or so we didn't have any issues.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You going to go talk to your neighbors?

Maybe they are really cool and you'll end up having beers.

Maybe they have some good weed / coke / angel food cake.

K

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
You going to go talk to your neighbors?

Maybe they are really cool and you'll end up having beers.

Maybe they have some good weed / coke / angel food cake.

K

yeah.... I am going to. I promise. Especially if they have the angel food cake. I have been hoping to catch them out working in the yard or something. At this point though, its been a couple more weeks, and everything seems to have gotten better, so I dont want to upset the apple cart by brining it all back up....

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** neighbors. Seriously. When I got a new puppy about a year ago, he would cry his head off whenever we left. Some asswipes left a note complaining. If you're gonna complain about a poor little dog, don't be a ***** and leave a note, at least do it in person so I can kick your ass. Especially because this is in NYC - you should be used to a little noise.

That having been said, it probably wasn't right that you took the dog away from his six year home.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads