• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks, stopped me from making a bad purchase. I guess I'll try larger aviators.

Is there a way to determine the size that glasses should be? These ones are 49mm.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
a really rough estimate would be to measure the width of your face and then use that as a starting point (ruler + face = measurement?) but the easiest way is if you wear glasses just check the measurements of those and work off of that (although sunglasses can be more of a challenge than eyeglasses since you may have to account for curvature, thickness of the frame, etc.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
Ok thanks, stopped me from making a bad purchase. I guess I'll try larger aviators.

Is there a way to determine the size that glasses should be? These ones are 49mm.

you got medium size melon. don't need to be too specific cuz metal and plastics are malleable. imo, what's important is right coverage and style [that fits your facial features]__ not what's hot right now.

sunglasses.jpg

Persol 2847-S, Paul Smith [Titanium] wide-rimmed Aviator, Ray Ban 3104 [still got the original green lenses]

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokpok
what kind of sunglasses is he wearing?

4652_91023927540_60684902540_2360021_4479786_n.jpg

Either American Optical or Randolph Engineering aviators. They are the same thing, just one is more expensive. Check the 'Bay.

pokpok

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Either American Optical or Randolph Engineering aviators. They are the same thing, just one is more expensive. Check the 'Bay.

thanks for the info, i believe they are the AO original pilot like in this pic

opplanet-ao-original-pilot-57mm-gold.jpg

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having handled both, RE and AO are 2 different animals. I felt the RE was alot sturdier. I asked a few mates in the military and they all think RE is better as well.

KBW

Reaction score
anyone know of any sunglass companies that make them with very lightly tinted lenses. I'm looking for some that I can wear inside and not look like a doucher. My eyes are very sensitive to the light and I squint looking at the computer or tv even if the brightness is turned down (i have perfect vision so I'm not squinting to be able to read or see something clearly).

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Gunnar Optiks, if you do a lot of computer work.

Otherwise almost any lens can be made with a 10% gradient or complete tint so you don't look that douchey.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
anyone know of any sunglass companies that make them with very lightly tinted lenses. I'm looking for some that I can wear inside and not look like a doucher. My eyes are very sensitive to the light and I squint looking at the computer or tv even if the brightness is turned down (i have perfect vision so I'm not squinting to be able to read or see something clearly).

Simple solution. Get transition lenses with anti reflection coating.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear prescription sunglasses. I have some tortoise Wayfarers, but I swear the green-gray G15 lenses have faded to a sort of pale rose colour!
plain.gif

I want to get something new, that is similar. I like the vintage Wayfarer look and the general size and style seems to suit my face shape. However, I don't want to get something identical.

any recommendations for another brand of Wayfarer-like prescription sunglasses? The Tom Ford TF45s look nice, but I'd need to see them in person before getting too excited by them I think. what else?

Many thanks in advance, guys!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I wear prescription sunglasses. I have some tortoise Wayfarers, but I swear the green-gray G15 lenses have faded to a sort of pale rose colour!
plain.gif

I want to get something new, that is similar. I like the vintage Wayfarer look and the general size and style seems to suit my face shape. However, I don't want to get something identical.

any recommendations for another brand of Wayfarer-like prescription sunglasses? The Tom Ford TF45s look nice, but I'd need to see them in person before getting too excited by them I think. what else?

Many thanks in advance, guys!

1. Different brands would include Super, Urban Outfitters (but I wouldnt suggest it), and Prada.

2. It is not your imagination, they faded. I would guess that you had high index lenses put in them. Prescription lenses faded to pale rose = not a true G15 lens color. It should have faded to more of a purple color. Fading to pale rose means that when they made the lens instead of putting it in green then gray, they put it in brown then green.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
1. Different brands would include Super, Urban Outfitters (but I wouldnt suggest it), and Prada.

2. It is not your imagination, they faded. I would guess that you had high index lenses put in them. Prescription lenses faded to pale rose = not a true G15 lens color. It should have faded to more of a purple color. Fading to pale rose means that when they made the lens instead of putting it in green then gray, they put it in brown then green.

Thanks for the reply! And especially thanks for reassuring me that I didn't imagine the fading! You are right - even new they didn't seem green enough. Would a polaroid lens fade less or is this just something I should expect from high index prescription lenses?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads