1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by josepidal, Apr 14, 2006.

1. KBW

KBW Senior member

Simple solution. Get transition lenses with anti reflection coating.

Can I get those without a prescription? I get rx glasses free twice a year with my insurance and I guess i could get them prescribed to me for having sensitive eyes if I get them checked for that (I've already been checked and my eyes were perfect as far as vision)

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Any number of companies carry those lenses although generally I've seen the sunglasses companies use the term photochromic rather than transitions (which may be trademarked?). If you look online you'll find a ton of different brands which make them

3. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

Thanks for the reply! And especially thanks for reassuring me that I didn't imagine the fading! You are right - even new they didn't seem green enough. Would a polaroid lens fade less or is this just something I should expect from high index prescription lenses?

Polarized lenses are completely different. It is 2 lenses fused together with a filter in the middle. Polarized lenses will not and cannot fade. BUT, all high index lenses that you get will fade after a year or so.

4. CityConnection

Can I get those without a prescription? I get rx glasses free twice a year with my insurance and I guess i could get them prescribed to me for having sensitive eyes if I get them checked for that (I've already been checked and my eyes were perfect as far as vision)

-twice a year OR once every two years? If it is twice a year, thats a great plan.
    -The lenses are available without RX. It is called "plano" which just means that there is no prescription but you still have the lenses.

5. CityConnection

Any number of companies carry those lenses although generally I've seen the sunglasses companies use the term photochromic rather than transitions (which may be trademarked?). If you look online you'll find a ton of different brands which make them

Transitions is the name of the company. It is like "Kleenex" which is actually facial tissue. Many companies carry them and every optical should be able to provide them.

6. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Polarized lenses are completely different. It is 2 lenses fused together with a filter in the middle. Polarized lenses will not and cannot fade. BUT, all high index lenses that you get will fade after a year or so.

Thanks again! Next question, if you don't mind (you certainly seem to know this topic well!) if I found frames that I like (say, on eBay or B&S here), how hard would it be to have custom prescription lenses made for them? What I mean is, while shopping for prescription sunglasses - should I only be looking under that category or could I get lenses made for any frames at around the same price?

7. CityConnection

Thanks again! Next question, if you don't mind (you certainly seem to know this topic well!) if I found frames that I like (say, on eBay or B&S here), how hard would it be to have custom prescription lenses made for them? What I mean is, while shopping for prescription sunglasses - should I only be looking under that category or could I get lenses made for any frames at around the same price?

Yes and no. It depends on the frame and the prescription. Anything is possible, it's just that some places will do a better job than others. If your frame is curved too much, lenses can go in but there will be a lot of distortion. It is certainly possible. Just make sure that when you buy it, it is "worth" putting lenses into it. There are tons of cheap frames that do not have screw holes or they are soldered shut and so on. Also, simply put, curved frames will require curved lenses which are more expensive.

8. pokpok

pokpok Senior member

Having handled both, RE and AO are 2 different animals. I felt the RE was alot sturdier. I asked a few mates in the military and they all think RE is better as well.

i cant believe i actually live 5mins from randolph engineering..[​IMG]

9. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

Can anyone recommend a pair of sunglasses that resemble The Chronicles of Never Thalamus or Common Projects x moscot?

10. billionaireboy

billionaireboy Senior member

Can someone provide me with measurements and sizing of Retro Super Futures?
    I've tried their website and various sunglasses websites to no avail

11. wagthesam

wagthesam Senior member

My second try: aviators [​IMG]

12. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

^^ Better, but I'd still keep looking. Where are you shopping and how much are planning on spending?

13. wagthesam

wagthesam Senior member

300 max. I've been going to mall stores. I'm in Toronto and have basically tried the entire ray ban and maui jim selection at sunglass hut.

14. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

Okay, good so far. Try Persol and Tom Ford. Being that you're in Canada though means you might have to do some searching.

15. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

300 max. I've been going to mall stores. I'm in Toronto and have basically tried the entire ray ban and maui jim selection at sunglass hut.

As I've said before, you cannot get better than the Randolph Engineering Concorde aviator (for those styles of aviator), and it is a nice fit between the bulky (but weak) rayban 58mm and small (and weak) rayban 55 mm. It's a serious pair of sunglasses (real glass lenses make it somewhat heavy), and the color combos are classic.

You can get the concordes at the aviator supply store in Toronto (some pilot's supply store on Airport road - they're listed as a dealer on RE's website), or you can order them direct from RE and pay $20 shipping and will pay about $50 customs (I did).