• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JoS. A. Bank - Quality/Contruction/Pricing Answers

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oaw01
How much do you charge for alterations? I might bite if I can make the suit slim fitting like an RLBL.

I'll try to cover most common alterations here. Every person is going to need different operations, of course, so your pricing will vary accordingly.

Pants
Bottoms $12
Waist/Waist & Seat $10
Seat/Seat & Crotch $10
Waist, Seat & Crotch $17

Jackets
Sleeves $7.50/sleeve
Sides $7.50/side
Center $10

The jacket prices will go up a bit if they are taken through vents or arms or if the sleeves need to be raised or lowered farther than the vent will allow without re-cutting it...and there are, of course, multiple other operations available. We also do outside alterations for a couple dollars more per operation. Almost all of our stores have a tailor on site and our larger volume stores use our company's regional workrooms at busy times.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcmillin
I'll try to cover most common alterations here. Every person is going to need different operations, of course, so your pricing will vary accordingly. Pants Bottoms $12 Waist/Waist & Seat $10 Seat/Seat & Crotch $10 Waist, Seat & Crotch $17 Jackets Sleeves $7.50/sleeve Sides $7.50/side Center $10 The jacket prices will go up a bit if they are taken through vents or arms or if the sleeves need to be raised or lowered farther than the vent will allow without re-cutting it...and there are, of course, multiple other operations available. We also do outside alterations for a couple dollars more per operation. Almost all of our stores have a tailor on site and our larger volume stores use our company's regional workrooms at busy times.
Are you the dude who was selling JAB seersucker trousers on eBay a while back? If not, just please enjoy my avatar
lookaround.gif

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
A few months ago, I bought my stepson a Signature suit for $238 (+tax and alterations charges). He seems very happy with it, and at that price I think we got more than fair value. Since JAB is constantly having heavy duty discounts, sales and deals of the sort described above, I can't help thinking that a fellow who just naively walks in and pays full retail (say $795 for a Signature suit) is something of a chump. I know that if I had just paid about $800 for a Signature suit and then a week later saw a deal like that offered, I would feel both mortified and angry. How do you deal with customers like that? Mind you, I'm not knocking JAB. I think shrewdly used, JAB can be a good resource and provide excellent value. I have found the sales staff at my local JAB to be extremely friendly and helpful.

On another note, could you tell us a little more about the Signature Platinum? Does it differ from the Signature Gold only in utilizing fabrics with a higher super number or are there any differences in construction, as well.

Long story short - personally (speaking only of MY managerial style in MY store) I would adjust the customer's price to reflect the better current sale. (I have never had this occue, by the way.)

The Signature Gold and Platinum are very similar in construction. They both feature a lot of hand-work including pic stitching around the lapels, collar, and pockets and a Bemberg lining. In the Platinum you will get better quality wool on the outside and higher quality interior materials used in the chest pieces of the coat. Joseph, Signature, Signature Gold, and Signature Platinum are all able to have working buttonholes added, too.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Are you the dude who was selling JAB seersucker trousers on eBay a while back? If not, just please enjoy my avatar
lookaround.gif

nope...wasn't me. but thanks for the avatar, haha.

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since all of our suits are private label, we use workshops all over the world to manufacture our pieces. You won't find the same suit under another label anywhere. We usually try to source the best quality workroom we can find near the mill that is weaving the fabric to lower cost. You will find suits made in Brazil, Mexico, France, China, and Ecuador along with many others.
Ecuador??? I'm there!!!

Who made stuff for you here? (if it's not classified info... if it is PM me
smile.gif
)

My complaint against you is your sizing is WAAAAY odd. I'm a medium in most brands and your medium stuff fits me like tents. Actually, much like Tommy Hilfiger regular fit.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agavilanes
Ecuador??? I'm there!!!

Who made stuff for you here? (if it's not classified info... if it is PM me
smile.gif
)

My complaint against you is your sizing is WAAAAY odd. I'm a medium in most brands and your medium stuff fits me like tents. Actually, much like Tommy Hilfiger regular fit.

I am not privy to what workrooms/factories we use in a particular location.

I am in complete agreement about sportswear sizing. I mentioned it in this same thread before, actually. Our sportswear is sized very large to size. Try a small next time. I am a 50L jacket, 44 pant and only an XL in our casual sizing. (XXL in almost all other brands) It goes both ways - some brands are sized very small. Kenneth Cole for example...I know without ever trying another shirt on that an XXL from them won't fit me.

Mr T

Reaction score
I am surprised that this thread is still going strong and applaud the OP for answering our questions.

Having said that, my experience is that JAB jackets have very thick shoulders and stiff chests. Wearing them is like going back to the 80s. I hate this about JAB because they show some promise. Their Harris Tweed jackets are especially attractive but again the shoulders are deal breakers.

I have returned 90% of the clothes bought online from JAB and no longer give them business.

The only item I can recommed are the Donegal tweed trousers. In the end however I feel JAB has little to offer.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
I am surprised that this thread is still going strong and applaud the OP for answering our questions.

Having said that, my experience is that JAB jackets have very thick shoulders and stiff chests. Wearing them is like going back to the 80s. I hate this about JAB because they show some promise. Their Harris Tweed jackets are especially attractive but again the shoulders are deal breakers.

I have returned 90% of the clothes bought online from JAB and no longer give them business.

The only item I can recommed are the Donegal tweed trousers. In the end however I feel JAB has little to offer.

I wonder what level of suits it is that you've had experience with. I wouldn't describe the chest pieces of any of our suits as stiff. As for the shoulder, I don't have any problem fitting me or most of my clients.

I love our Harris Tweeds...and it's getting harder and harder to find an actual Harris Tweed from the Hebrides.

Do you shop only with our online catalog or have you tried coming into a store? I have trouble judging things online - wonder if you would be more successful being able to see/touch/try the items before purchase.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
Good job with this post. Next time i'm looking to buy a new blazer or suit i will check out the store near me.

navysuede

Reaction score
For what it's worth.Everything that I have ever bought from JAB (30 to 40 items)I liked and was satisfied with the pricing and selection.
fing02[1].gif

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by navysuede
For what it's worth.Everything that I have ever bought from JAB (30 to 40 items)I liked and was satisfied with the pricing and selection.
fing02[1].gif

cheers.gif

I'm really glad i started this thread. You guys are a lot nicer about JoS. A. Bank when you have someone on the other end to actually ask questions...haha.

Keep 'em coming...

tripp

Reaction score
mcmillin,
what size JAB jacket do you recommend to a customer that measures 42" across the chest and 47" overarm? One often reads to size up if his overarm measurement is more than 7" greater than chest. Is there a point one should size down? Would one be more likely to size down to get the right fit in a JAB suit? (I'm 5'-10".)

thx again

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you ship to Australia any more? I have worn your cashmere/wool trousers for a long time but now can't get them unless I ask favours from my American friends, which I am loathe to do. I would have thought in these times and with globalisation you would be expanding markets like all other companies, not contracting them.

Reaction score
I had recently purchased three JAB suits during the "Buy ONE get TWO free" sale. They were all of the signature line and I am very happy with the results. I also am very pleased that the OP has cleared alot of misconceptions and fears on this forum. Kudos to everyone who has participated in this thread so far.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
I don't know of any other retailers that do this. It's a free service that we offer to all of our Corporate Card holders.

Brooks Brothers has pressed my Golden Fleece suits before without any complaint. I just brought it in while shopping and asked if they could press it, and they happily obliged. I'm not sure how excited they would be about pressing their less expensive lines, but I don't predict any problems as long as you are polite about it and you aren't in for a pressing every other day. That said, it's not an advertised service like at JAB with their corporate members.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads