• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco/Napa/Sonoma gourmands

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FL. Called bang on 10 a.m. PST, 2 months prior! All tables for 2 gone by the time I got through 20 minutes later! On wait list. It's for our 25th. Too bad. So, got a table at Bouchon. Any thoughts on Bouchon much appreciated. We have ten days in SF and Napa. Maybe a day in Sonoma. Will you recommend some good French restaurants with good wines?

Also, how long a drive from Yountville to SFO? Weekend. Not much in a search. Thanks.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Did you try FL for lunch? Same menu and actually enjoyable since it's like a 3 - 4 hour meal.

Don't know about French, but I'd recommend Terra, Toque and Redd.

Yountville to SFO depends on traffic, but perhaps 90 minutes.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are super-lucky, maybe 70-80mins. All the way to SFO airport, I'd say 90 mins is the minimum. Coming from my grandmother's house in Napa back to SF city takes minimum 60 mins., but on a weekend the traffic on 29 can really jam up and you could get caught in a Bay Bridge mess, so it could easily take over 2 hours. If you are heading from Yountville to SFO to fly out, budget lots of time and if you have an iPhone (or similar) and can monitor traffic conditions, I'd recommend it.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Up there: Bottgea in is Yountville great. The Brussels Sprout salad is wonderful there and so is the wine. Bistro Jeanty is really good too. FL, nothing is like FL, sorry to say.

Where are you staying?

The Carneros Inn is really nice, an old trailer park converted into luxe cabins owned by the Plumpjack people. For super high end, the Meadowood is great.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I've heard, not only from people on here, but since looking into it further, from a LOT of people, that Cyrus restaurant is basically the "go-to" restaurant for anyone who can't get into TFL. And from the reviews and magazine articles I've read, it seems that most people were happier they went to Cyrus than they imagined they'd have been at TFL.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Bouchon is awesome. 2 hours from SFO, I would say.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I've heard, not only from people on here, but since looking into it further, from a LOT of people, that Cyrus restaurant is basically the "go-to" restaurant for anyone who can't get into TFL. And from the reviews and magazine articles I've read, it seems that most people were happier they went to Cyrus than they imagined they'd have been at TFL.
I like Cyrus more than FL. Bouchon is great, but at a different level than the other two. Definitely cosign Meadowood. One of my favorite hotels in the world. I haven't been to Auberge de Soleil for years, but that was always a fantastic place to stay, and the food is great as well.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
Up there: Bottgea in is Yountville great. The Brussels Sprout salad is wonderful there and so is the wine. Bistro Jeanty is really good too. FL, nothing is like FL, sorry to say.

Where are you staying?

The Carneros Inn is really nice, an old trailer park converted into luxe cabins owned by the Plumpjack people. For super high end, the Meadowood is great.

I was at The Carneros back when they first opened. Has it changed? All the lodges were sort of small and made with that wavy metal so it felt like you were inside a nicely furnished Kwanset hut, or a concentration camp.

For something a bit more casual in that area, mostly for lunch, I enjoy The Girl & The Fig. And Redd's and Cyrus are definitely worth stopping at if you don't get to the FL. A bit of a drive, but a scenic one, is The Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant, although the food can be hit or miss depending on the season.

Then there are the restaurants in SF...

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly, I have a Mustang GT conv! I'm hoping for an S4 upon arrival. So, the driving will be fun, hopefully.

SF restaurant recs would be great, too. And thanks for info so far.

Camillia Inn, Healdsburg is a possibility if we do Cyrus.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Sadly, I have a Mustang GT conv! I'm hoping for an S4 upon arrival. So, the driving will be fun, hopefully.

SF restaurant recs would be great, too. And thanks for info so far.

Camillia Inn, Healdsburg is a possibility if we do Cyrus.

Food in San Francisco is only so-so these days. It is a far cry from what it once was. I rarely go to "good" restaurants in the city anymore, because they are always a major disappointment. If pressed, I would suggest Gary Danko, Quince and The Ritz Carlton Dining Room, but given 10 days, I would spend most of my time eating ethnic food, which is where SF really shines. Above all, avoid Michael Mina. It is very popular, but awful.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of haute cuisine, especially of the 'Franch' variety, but I'd add Coi ("kwah") and Ame ("ah-may") to that list. I used to love Masa's but haven't been back in years.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I really like Bouchon for lunch. We can always count on a good meal, classic dishes and a perfect cone of French fries. I suggest using opentable.com to make easy reservations for Bouchon and many Bay area eateries. . We arrive about 11:30 am to get one of the patio tables which we think is a lot more enjoyable than the main dinning area on a nice day. By noon the patio tables are gone. We always get a carafe of their Sancerre, some fresh clams and pate. And that is just to munch on while we decide what to eat! Leave room for Profiterals for dessert. Stop in the bakery on your way out for some treats.

Immatt mentioned Auberge. It is a beautiful setting. I would suggest stopping by for a late afternoon drink while sitting out on their deck.

Recently the folks up in Napa, Sonoma have been especially happy to see people. You should experience a very welcoming attitude.

Have fun. It really is a special place in the USA.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, PSG. Been dreaming about this trip for some time now. And thanks to all, some great ideas. I checked out Meadowood. Gulp. Guess you gotta pay to play.

I remember someone telling me there were two fine French restaurants in the SF area, one in Berkeley. ??

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, PSG. Been dreaming about this trip for some time now. And thanks to all, some great ideas. I checked out Meadowood. Gulp. Guess you gotta pay to play.

I remember someone telling me there were two fine French restaurants in the SF area, one in Berkeley. ??

Golf in Napa in the middle of the summer? Sounds like torture to me. Might as well play in Phoenix same time of year. If you'll be staying in SF, the Presidio Golf Course can be quite lovely if the weather is right (not foggy).

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Chez Panisse, affectionately known as Chez Penis, is the famous restaurant in Berkeley. I love it, many don't. It is perhaps unfair to call it French, as it was the birthplace of the California food culture. The ingredients they use are perhaps the finest in the world. The catch is that there is one menu each night, so you don't get to make your own choices. Masa's was mentioned above. I have a soft spot for it as working in the kitchen there was my first real job. My chef moved on to greener pastures years ago, but I think the food is still terrific.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads