• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco/Napa/Sonoma gourmands

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia

I remember someone telling me there were two fine French restaurants in the SF area, one in Berkeley. ??

In Berkeley you must be thinking of this one. http://www.chezpanisse.com/

Chez Panisse is very good and very Berkeley. Every ingredient will be flawless but some items are a bit, unusual. Like the nettles pizza my wife got the last time we were there. My fish was delicious. It is a most unique experience at one of the true food meccas of California cuisine. How many places do you know sell out every night since the 1970's? And, if you don't like it just go next door to Cesar for amazing Spanish tapas and cocktails. Lots of cool people too.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Doesn't Chez Panisse have an upstairs cafe or something with an a la carte menu?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Doesn't Chez Panisse have an upstairs cafe or something with an a la carte menu?
For pussies and lunch, IMO.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

Yes. It is less expensive and sometimes you can get a last minute table there. That makes it nice for those in the area to try and drop-in. The little window table has a nice view of the bay. I don't agree with Immatt that the cafe is for pussies. For ***** I would head next door to Cesar and try and pick up one of the Suicide Girl waitresses.

Be careful what you wear. Most of the guys at CP will be Alan Alda looking Berkeley area residents in very non-SF approved clothing.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
I was at The Carneros back when they first opened. Has it changed? All the lodges were sort of small and made with that wavy metal so it felt like you were inside a nicely furnished Kwanset hut, or a concentration camp...

I liked the Carneros the two times I stayed there. The 'Quonset hut' I had was huge with a private backyard. It was modern and clean and the air condition worked well. I liked the decor a lot and the service was good. I travel a lot for work and am a stickler for good service. Also, the bar is filled with cougars.

I'm with Matt, the Meadowood is one of my favorite hotels in the world. It's super nice, service is AMAZING, the only problem is the food is just good, not great. It's worth it if it's for a 25th. I took one of my girlfriend's recently, she went ape **** over how nice it was and came close to donkey punching me, she was that excited.

For food in SF, A16 is good, SPQR is good, I love Baretta in the Mission, but only if you go early, the whiskey drink with the eggs - the snake bite, I think - with some meatballs is a nice combo.

For ethnic food in SF, make Matt start a new thread or go to chowhound.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love SPQR. I used to like A16, but had two bad meals there in a row. I should probably go back, but I think Delfina Pizzeria is much better, and the one in Pac Heights has a pretty full menu.

justinpba

Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Sadly, I have a Mustang GT conv! I'm hoping for an S4 upon arrival. So, the driving will be fun, hopefully.

SF restaurant recs would be great, too. And thanks for info so far.

Camillia Inn, Healdsburg is a possibility if we do Cyrus.

If you might go to Healdsburg anyway I've heard (have not yet been myself) that Mire Poix in Windsor is phenomenal.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I love SPQR. I used to like A16, but had two bad meals there in a row. I should probably go back, but I think Delfina Pizzeria is much better, and the one in Pac Heights has a pretty full menu.

Seconded, although it only took one bad meal (my first) to keep me away from A16.

Please don't go to Berretta, I waited over an hour for a table last week and I'd just have to give it up altogether if it gets any more popular.

j/k

Berretta's pizza has a slight edge on Delfina's, and the bar is excellent.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Seconded, although it only took one bad meal (my first) to keep me away from A16. Please don't go to Berretta, I waited over an hour for a table last week and I'd just have to give it up altogether if it gets any more popular. j/k Berretta's pizza has a slight edge on Delfina's, and the bar is excellent.
I go early, and call ahead and have a drink at the LAC while I wait. The pizza, meatballs and Snake Bite is (sort-of) worth it. I also love hipster chicks.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
I go early, and call ahead and have a drink at the LAC while I wait. The pizza, meatballs and Snake Bite is (sort-of) worth it. I am also love hipster chicks.
I called ahead, got there by 6:45, and didn't get seated until 8. At least they gave us a free desert, for our inconvenience. This is why my wife and I have gotten in the habit of eating at 5:30 when we go to hip spots. Makes us feel (well me anyway) like geezers, but at least we get a table. I think the petite waitress with the bird tattoo on her chest is smoking hot.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Golf in Napa in the middle of the summer? Sounds like torture to me. Might as well play in Phoenix same time of year. If you'll be staying in SF, the Presidio Golf Course can be quite lovely if the weather is right (not foggy).

LOL

Just a figure of speech at the Meadowood hotel prices. Golf on my 25th? Perish the thought!
smile.gif

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
I liked the Carneros the two times I stayed there. The 'Quonset hut' I had was huge with a private backyard. It was modern and clean and the air condition worked well. I liked the decor a lot and the service was good. I travel a lot for work and am a stickler for good service. Also, the bar is filled with cougars.

I stayed at Carneros on my honeymoon, for which they upgraded us to a rather huge suite. During the week the place is largely empty, as it gets a lot of SF Bay weekenders. You might try getting an upgrade since it's your 25th. The nice thing about the place is there's no nickel and diming -- non-alcoholic beverages complementary, food is market price, no pool charges, etc.

wiscogooner

Reaction score
The wife and I stayed here during our honeymoon:

http://www.vrconnection.com/figtree

Pretty cheap and very short walk/drive to downtown Napa. You'd have your own kitchen, patio with a grill and furniture and there's free parking on the street.

1wb

Reaction score
Cyrus is remarkable.

And in SF, Pagolac.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads