• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm off to London

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are vegetarian dont eat at Manna in Primrose hill

blech

K

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
For something to do at night you could try Ronnie Scotts jazz club, yeah I am sure people will tell you it's too commercial now and all that sort of crap, but its still a really fun night out if you are even slightly into Jazz.
The drinks are pretty expensive, and if you think about the entrance fee as a restraunt cover then its pretty expensive too, but if you think of it as entry to a concert its pretty cheap. I have never eaten there, the food looks alright and they serve till 1 or so, the cocktails are terrific although they make your wallet hurt.
http://www.ronniescotts.co.uk/

I went there the other night - paid quite a lot of money for tickets, had a meal table booked (so they knew I was going to spend quite a lot of money on food, let alone drink - and they still have the cheek to charge you £1 to put your coat in. For that reason alone I don't think I'd ever go back there.

I was with a girl and didn't have any change - only £20 notes - which they didn't have change for. Instead of letting it go, they went through to get change from the bar. Unbelievable.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
I went there the other night - paid quite a lot of money for tickets, had a meal table booked (so they knew I was going to spend quite a lot of money on food, let alone drink - and they still have the cheek to charge you £1 to put your coat in. For that reason alone I don't think I'd ever go back there.

I was with a girl and didn't have any change - only £20 notes - which they didn't have change for. Instead of letting it go, they went through to get change from the bar. Unbelievable.

bad luck, doesn't sound like a good time. I went a couple of months ago, it wasn't a "big" act so the ticket was pretty cheap, the staff were very friendly/obliging and even in the less good seats you are amazingly close to the band because its such a small venue. I went thinking of it as a music venue with cocktail service and food and thoroughly enjoyed myself, I am not sure I would go there especially for a meal, I can see it could be disappointing. I enjoyed it and will definitely go again.
I can understand not wanting to pay for the coat check after everything else, but its less than a lot of other places I have been.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to London in a few years but were I to go now, and if I had time for shopping, I would definitely go to Udeshi's store. I'm a fan

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
bad luck, doesn't sound like a good time. I went a couple of months ago, it wasn't a "big" act so the ticket was pretty cheap, the staff were very friendly/obliging and even in the less good seats you are amazingly close to the band because its such a small venue. I went thinking of it as a music venue with cocktail service and food and thoroughly enjoyed myself, I am not sure I would go there especially for a meal, I can see it could be disappointing. I enjoyed it and will definitely go again.
I can understand not wanting to pay for the coat check after everything else, but its less than a lot of other places I have been.

The venue itself was great. There's not many places with that kind of atmosphere and intimacy. But with the prices they charge I find it unthinkable that they charge for cloakroom service.

Winot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
What might a 41-year-old and his 38-year-old brother consider doing once the sun sets? Obviously, we're not as young as we used to be, and still might be recovering from our Hadrian's Wall hike. But it would still be nice to do something out of the ordinary. My brother might have some suggestions. He's been to London before while on tour with his band (he's one-half of the Stars of the Lid duo).

What kind of things are you into? Music/food/clubbing/opera? London has a fair bit to offer.

The best vegetarian food in London is south Indian. Rasa Sumadra is a decent central choice.

And yes, listen to the advice above - three museums in a day is too much.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I haven't been to London in a few years but were I to go now, and if I had time for shopping, I would definitely go to Udeshi's store. I'm a fan

The experience of disrobing to try on shirts in the middle of the store while his mother draws the curtains is quite unique.

litho

Reaction score
nice weather here at the moment
(for england)

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a great trip, Vintage. I hope that you will pack along sufficient of your W.W. Chan finery to suitably impress the locals when you are in town.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm underwhelmed by Ronnie Scotts. It's nice enough, I suppose, but it draws a lot of tourists. This contributes to a sort of what-the-hell-we'll-never-see-these-people-again-anyway attitude.

I much prefer 606 or even the Boisdale (the Belgravia one) as I find them much more civilized. There are few more pleasant ways to while away a late rainy evening than sitting in the bar at the Boisdale.

BRITINLA

Reaction score
Thanks for the good advice thus far. A couple more questions:

Who carries boxcloth braces in London? I imagine that T&A might. Any other suspects?

What might a 41-year-old and his 38-year-old brother consider doing once the sun sets? Obviously, we're not as young as we used to be, and still might be recovering from our Hadrian's Wall hike. But it would still be nice to do something out of the ordinary. My brother might have some suggestions. He's been to London before while on tour with his band (he's one-half of the Stars of the Lid duo).

You will probably be sick of walking, but London is a great city just to walk around in.

Time Out Magazine may be a good source of events going on in London.

For Indian Restaurants try Brick Lane.

Don't forget the parks, St. James, Hyde and Regents and the various squares - good place to stop and have a sandwich at lunch.

It may be a bit touristy, but you the London Eye gives you a birds eye view of London

What part of London are you staying in?

Enjoy

kngrimm

Reaction score
I've been to the Tate Modern, among others while living in London for six months.

I was dating a beatuiful spanish girl that I could not really understand because I had given myself to the English language.

Maybe you'll see another variant? One can only hope because it was fun while it lasted : )

Have a wonderful time.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much great advice so far. Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

I probably won't try and accomplish all three museums; the National Gallery with van Eyck's Arnolfini Wedding is the real goal. It's one of those works I want to see in the flesh before I slip off this mortal coil.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The hike along Hadrian's wall sounds incredible, VG. I hadn't considered it, but maybe I will now. Hope you take many pics, and make sure to pick out a good umbrella (i.e., whangee).

Many pictures I will take. As for the umbrella, unlike others I'm not enamored of the whangee. Too reminiscent of something you'd find in Pier One circa 1978. To be fair, I know it's more of a classic umbrella "look" than that implies. I'm leaning toward a nice hickory.

Originally Posted by VKK3450
If you are vegetarian dont eat at Manna in Primrose hill

Any particular reason why not? It was on my list of restaurants to consider.

Originally Posted by Winot
What kind of things are you into? Music/food/clubbing/opera? London has a fair bit to offer.

Music--power pop in particular. I checked to see if the Len Price 3 were scheduled to play while I'm there. No dice. Theater, too. Just not musical theater.

Originally Posted by JLibourel
Have a great trip, Vintage. I hope that you will pack along sufficient of your W.W. Chan finery to suitably impress the locals when you are in town.

Won't have room to pack much. I'll only be able to take one Chan jacket. Aside from our backpacking equipment, we're each bringing a single small bag.

Originally Posted by BRITINLA
What part of London are you staying in?

Sotheast of Regent's Park. Fitzrovia, I think. So most of what I'm interested in is easily within walking distance.

BRITINLA

Reaction score
Much great advice so far. Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

I probably won't try and accomplish all three museums; the National Gallery with van Eyck's Arnolfini Wedding is the real goal. It's one of those works I want to see in the flesh before I slip off this mortal coil.

Many pictures I will take. As for the umbrella, unlike others I'm not enamored of the whangee. Too reminiscent of something you'd find in Pier One circa 1978. To be fair, I know it's more of a classic umbrella "look" than that implies. I'm leaning toward a nice hickory.

Any particular reason why not? It was on my list of restaurants to consider.

Music--power pop in particular. I checked to see if the Len Price 3 were scheduled to play while I'm there. No dice. Theater, too. Just not musical theater.

Won't have room to pack much. I'll only be able to take one Chan jacket. Aside from our backpacking equipment, we're each bringing a single small bag.

Sotheast of Regent's Park. Fitzrovia, I think. So most of what I'm interested in is easily within walking distance.

VG:

If you're going to use public transport you may want to look into getting an Oyster card. I use them when I go home, however, I'm there for more than a couple of days. If you can get one, it may save you some money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads