• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm off to London

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Liberty is worth a visit just for the shop's architecture, even if you don't come away with a tie or scarf.

Bracemaker

Reaction score
Vintage Gent;1871940 said:
Thanks for the good advice thus far. A couple more questions:

Who carries boxcloth braces in London? I imagine that T&A might. Any other suspects?

QUOTE]

Where to start...
In Jermyn St T&A, N&L, H&K, Harvie Hudson
Elsewhere E&R, G&H
My dear old dad did Hadrian's Wall from end to end in the 80's with some military pals (plus a historian and a naturalist) who had arranged helicopter drop off and pick up at the start and end of every day, with the evening spent at an army mess (Catterick I guess). He had to be detoxed afterwards, but they had a great time. Enjoy!

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Liberty is worth a visit just for the shop's architecture, even if you don't come away with a tie or scarf.

Liberty is absolutely fantastic. Definitely my favourite shop in W1 for a lunchtime browse
smile.gif

They carry a good range of Kilgour. Their Liberty of London range of leather goods is also very nice
smile.gif
Top floor there is a fantastic furniture selection which is always worth a good look!

fox81

Reaction score
if youre in fitzrovia, russell and hodge are quite close by. pied a terre for dining on charlotte st as well. charlotte st has lots of nice dining options.

marylebone high st might be a bit of a walk across, bit if you make it to the fromagerie, pop in next door to the ginger pig and get a sausage roll as well. then maybe downstairs at matches on the high st. then walk south and go down st christopher's place, then on to selfridges

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BRITINLA
For Indian Restaurants try Brick Lane.

I do NOT like Brick Lane for Indian. Typical tikka masala and a Cobra for the tourists.

If you like Indian look up some South Indian restaurants. Mainly vegetarian and full of flavour. There is a place of Tottenham Court Road which is not bad, but for the real biz you may have to roll out to East ham / Southall / Tooting.

Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Any particular reason why not? It was on my list of restaurants to consider.

I live around the corner (literally), and have not been impressed. I'm not a vegetarian, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I found it to be expensive, uninspired and frankly a bit boring. YMMV.

If you are in the neighborhood there are some great pubs like the beer garden at the Engineer, a pint at the Queens after walking up Primrose hill, or live jazz at the Princess of Wales on a Sunday.

K

edit: a vegetarian friend of mine likes Manna a lot, maybe I dont know what I'm talking about. If you try it let me know.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patogh, just off Edgware Rd, is a hole in the wall place with 10 seats and a 3 sq. ft "kitchen" but it's the best kebabs I've ever had. Used to go regularly when in London and now sometimes still dream about them...
drool.gif

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe no one's commented on this and it's off topic a bit, but it's awesome that your bro is half of Stars of the Lid. I guess there aren't a lot of indie rock fans here.

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Patogh, just off Edgware Rd, is a hole in the wall place with 10 seats and a 3 sq. ft "kitchen" but it's the best kebabs I've ever had. Used to go regularly when in London and now sometimes still dream about them...
drool.gif

i live a few hundred metres away from here
smile.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
i live a few hundred metres away from here
smile.gif

Do you go to Patogh? I'm starting to drool again just thinking of the juicy lamb and yummy bread

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Do you go to Patogh? I'm starting to drool again just thinking of the juicy lamb and yummy bread

not yet as i just moved to marylebone, but you can tell there is something special about it. sadly, it is right near my gym so my conscience takes hold whenever i go by

wilhelm

Reaction score
I'm heading to London in a few weeks and will spend some of my time there shopping. The selection in the shops of my home town of Oslo, Norway is rather pitiful, so I'm aiming to purchase quite a lot of stuff from my wishlist. My map is already dotted with the locations of numerous shops, and I have also planned a day trip to Northampton for a visit to Spring Line and Cliff Roberts.

There's two things I haven't quite figured out yet, however:

• I'd like to buy a Barbour jacket to wear while sailing and hiking, but I haven't yet decided on which model. Which shops in London have a good selection of Barbour goods?
  • I've drooled over the wonderful leatherware from Swaine Adeney Brigg for a while, but they are, alas, out of my price range. I would like to purchase a travel wallet, a slimmer wallet and a briefcase. Do anyone have any suggestions for any other good leatherware shops one or two price levels below SAB? I can pay £500 for a briefcase, but not £1100.

Any other suggestions that haven't already been mentioned on this forum are also very welcome.

Also, do anyone know if the usual shops on Jermyn street and around offer tax free shopping for foreigners?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads