• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prada Linea Rossa?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add to the semi-dress travel shoe aspect of the thread, I recently picked up these:
http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/cat...ctGroup=239612

Much more on the casual side, but they are sleek enough I can dress them up in a pinch if I'm on the road, and, while it's not the best look for them, they're sleek enough to be worn with fairly slim jeans and still look OK, so I can get away with them being my only pair of black shoes on a trip where I want to pack light.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
none of these shoes ever look good. if you want to wear sneakers, wear sneakers, if you want to wear dress shoes, wear dress shoes. the idea that there's a shoe that will capture both roles is absurd, you just end up looking like an over/underdressed euro douche

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
none of these shoes ever look good. if you want to wear sneakers, wear sneakers, if you want to wear dress shoes, wear dress shoes. the idea that there's a shoe that will capture both roles is absurd, you just end up looking like an over/underdressed euro douche

Well, considering that, when I'm trying to pack that light I'm usually traveling to Europe, I suppose it's sort of fitting...

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Well, considering that, when I'm trying to pack that light I'm usually traveling to Europe, I suppose it's sort of fitting...

then just bring some suede boots or something. equally good with jeans and can double duty with a suit. or just wear dress shoes with jeans.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
then just bring some suede boots or something. equally good with jeans and can double duty with a suit. or just wear dress shoes with jeans.

I have to have a rubber sole for walking, as when I'm vacationing in a foreign city, I will usually walk between 5 and 8 miles per day, and want a shoe with a good walking sole. I don't, however, want to waste space in my suitcase (I'm carry-on-only) with extra shoes (they take up a lot of volume). I will probably only bring jeans, but have to go from jeans and polo/tee during the day to dress shirt and blazer for dinner. Given those requirements, the above-linked shoes are the best cost-effective solution I've found, but I certainly welcome suggestions.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
suede boots and dress shoes are uncomfortable to walk alot in (i.e. when touring around). these are versatile shoes and the thick soles, also work great with shorts. They're pretty neutral looking shoes and are quite comfortable. no scuffs either so far and I abused them pretty hard in the Philippines. get them shoe shined, they look brand new. these look fine with jeans, they're actually quite low-key.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
they seem thin soled. I think I tried those on, but if I was walking alot then my feet would get really sore.

I can vouch for you on the first pair. I ordered them from Blue Fly and returned them because it was almost like a slipper, there was zero support what so ever.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
suede boots and dress shoes are uncomfortable to walk alot in (i.e. when touring around).

As with 99% of generalizations, this is not true. Crepe rubber soles of Desert Boots are comfortable enough for high volume of walking, which is more or less what I did while traveling last December. Also, many of what you call "dress shoes" and boots mentioned here have commando, Vibram, or anti-skid sole and should do as well as most sneakers.

Insoles would help just as well.

Edit: can't believe people were actually recommending the America's Cup sneakers. WTF???

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
As with 99% of generalizations, this is not true. Crepe rubber soles of Desert Boots are comfortable enough for high volume of walking, which is more or less what I did while traveling last December. Also, many of what you call "dress shoes" and boots mentioned here have commando, Vibram, or anti-skid sole and should do as well as most sneakers. Insoles would help just as well. Edit: can't believe people were actually recommending the America's Cup sneakers. WTF???
don't think there were too many recommendations really, for my uses, the shoe worked fine for me. i like them, extremely comfortable shoe, pretty versatile, construction was fine. not too many recos that I liked better..did check out other shoes, just didn't dig them all that much when I saw them.....actually bought some CPs but not as comfortable for me....although they're pretty nice. I do have suede desert boots too but wouldn't take them on vacation if I'm going to "hit the town", some places are kind of snobby on dress code..just playing it safe. these pradas will at least get me through the door for places that want "dress shoes" (even though they're not).

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
nobody will ever mistake those pradas for dress shoes, and thinking they're somehow dressier than a suede chukka is fantasy

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thinking those Pradas are dress shoes is like thinking an Ed Hardy tee is "dressed to impress"

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nobody will ever mistake those pradas for dress shoes, and thinking they're somehow dressier than a suede chukka is fantasy
actually they have been mistaken for dress shoes or I've been able to slip past doormen with them on. I've been to clubs/bars in LA/Vegas with them on where I wouldn't have gotten past the front door with Suede boots on. its not like I'm wearing them with slacks or anything. just casual shoes that fool bouncers because they're all black and don't really look that much like tennis shoes. doubt i'll ever get denied entrance anywhere with them on, if I do, I'll bump this thread and let you know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads