• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thought I'd grab my first pair of Allen Edmonds shoes while down in L.A. this weekend...

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
Welp. Went in thinking I'd get just one pair of brown shoes to start building my collection of shoes that were a higher quality than stuff from Steve Madden or Florsheim. That was a mistake.

$1,400 later, I'm now the proud owner of three Allen Edmonds shoes. Whoops.

And, I swear, it was my wife's idea to get them all. She's the one that suggested, "well, since you're getting a nice quality brown shoe, get a black one, too. And you probably need a nice casual shoe, that fits between your Nikes or New Balances and your dressier shoes."

I responded, "you know... I think you're on to something." 😁

Ended up purchasing:
  • Park Avenue Oxford Dress Sneaker (Chili)
  • Strand Cap-toe Oxford (Black)
  • Delray Bucher (Dark Chili) - these were the ones I had been eyeing for months.
  • Chili colored belt
  • 2x shoe trees
  • Chili shoe polish
Walking into the store, being greeted promptly and warmly, getting measured, and overall just treated like a million dollar customer was very much appreciated. Dillon, the store manager, is the man. Go see him if you're in the area!

Can't wait to break them in. Fit pics soon, of course!

Last edited:

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp. Went in thinking I'd get just one pair of brown shoes to start building my collection of shoes that were a higher quality than stuff from Steve Madden or Florsheim. That was a mistake.

$1,400 later, I'm now the proud owner of three Allen Edmonds shoes. Whoops.

And, I swear, it was my wife's idea to get them all. She's the one that suggested, "well, since you're getting a nice quality brown shoe, get a black one, too. And you probably need a nice casual shoe, that fits between your Nikes or New Balances and your dressier shoes."

I responded, "you know... I think you're on to something." 😁

Ended up purchasing:
  • Park Avenue Oxford Dress Sneaker (Chili)
  • Strand Cap-toe Oxford (Black)
  • Delray Bucher (Dark Chili) - these were the ones I had been eyeing for months.
  • Chili colored belt
  • 2x shoe trees
  • Chili shoe polish
Walking into the store, being greeted promptly and warmly, getting measured, and overall just treated like a million dollar customer was very much appreciated. Dillon, the store manager, is the man. Go see him if you're in the area!

Can't wait to break them in. Fit pics soon, of course!

Welcome to the Delray club. Glad you were fitted for it in store. It's a really elegant and sleek last (same last AE uses for their plain toe oxford), and I have to bump to a EEE from an E in it. Mine is black, which I find to be very dressy, and I usually wear it with tailored clothing.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
Thankfully, I haven't gotten them out of the box, but I'm realizing that I made a mistake in getting the "Dress Sneaker." I'm looking to swap it out for either something in suede (for those more casual looks) or something in Bordeaux (to wear to the office on occasion). I am thinking the latter, but undecided as of yet. Any ideas or suggestions?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am really glad you got a nice bunch of shoes, but you way over paid. Allen Edmonds are routinely on sale for 200ish dollars. You could have gotten the same number of shoes for 600-700.

You should consider taking back at least two of these shoes and just wait till the inevitable sale to pick them up again. Allen Edmonds has moved to a permanent sale model and you're way better off in that respect.

I have only paid retail for trunk shows and special releases from AE. Otherwise, I've never paid more than 240 dollars.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am really glad you got a nice bunch of shoes, but you way over paid. Allen Edmonds are routinely on sale for 200ish dollars. You could have gotten the same number of shoes for 600-700.

You should consider taking back at least two of these shoes and just wait till the inevitable sale to pick them up again. Allen Edmonds has moved to a permanent sale model and you're way better off in that respect.

I have only paid retail for trunk shows and special releases from AE. Otherwise, I've never paid more than 240 dollars.

Same here. I lost track of the exact figure a few pairs ago, but overall, I paid slightly above 50% on 7 pairs with no pair being bought for full retail. I just got a pair of great dark brown suede porter sneakers. The list was 275. The clearance was 100, and with a 30% weekend flash sale, I paid 70.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score

Same here. I lost track of the exact figure a few pairs ago, but overall, I paid slightly above 50% on 7 pairs with no pair being bought for full retail. I just got a pair of great dark brown suede porter sneakers. The list was 275. The clearance was 100, and with a 30% weekend flash sale, I paid 70.
Given that I bought this stuff literally this past weekend, do you guys think I can phone the store manager and have him either make some price adjustments when the sale goes live? Saving $50-$100 per pair is well worth the trouble for me. If not, I'll return and repurchase.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exactly. That is how you shop AE. I don't even feel badly telling me this, as this is literally what the company wants us to do by putting it on sale.

My exceptions, as I noted, are special releases (Broadstreet spectators!) and trunk shows (gotta get me some cordovan). In fact, cordovan even comes on sale sometimes, though that's a reach.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that I bought this stuff literally this past weekend, do you guys think I can phone the store manager and have him either make some price adjustments when the sale goes live? Saving $50-$100 per pair is well worth the trouble for me. If not, I'll return and repurchase.

I don't know when the sale is going to happen on the models you bought. I know AE is about to have a gigantic sale, but at this point, I'd suggest just sending two of them back.

Have you worn them outside yet? I hope not! If you haven't, you should be fine to send them back.

Sorry friend, I thought you'd have picked up that AE is a sales-model shoe brand by posting on the thread. Had you told us you were about to pick up your first AEs, I'd have warned you. I have seen you posting enthusiastically in the AE thread recently, so sorry I didn't advise as a fellow fan of the brand.

AE is also sometimes stubborn about honouring sales prices, as the SAs probably get more commission for selling retail. I don't at all have a problem with this, as the SAs need to get their money, but at the same time, AE is just obviously a always-on-sale brand, and you need to look out for your wallet.

Unless you're rich. If you're rich, just eat it. Though I also saw that you wanted to exchange those sneakers, which I frankly do agree with.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
I don't know when the sale is going to happen on the models you bought. I know AE is about to have a gigantic sale, but at this point, I'd suggest just sending two of them back.

Have you worn them outside yet? I hope not! If you haven't, you should be fine to send them back.

Sorry friend, I thought you'd have picked up that AE is a sales-model shoe brand by posting on the thread. Had you told us you were about to pick up your first AEs, I'd have warned you. I have seen you posting enthusiastically in the AE thread recently, so sorry I didn't advise as a fellow fan of the brand.

AE is also sometimes stubborn about honouring sales prices, as the SAs probably get more commission for selling retail. I don't at all have a problem with this, as the SAs need to get their money, but at the same time, AE is just obviously a always-on-sale brand, and you need to look out for your wallet.

Unless you're rich. If you're rich, just eat it. Though I also saw that you wanted to exchange those sneakers, which I frankly do agree with.
Haven't worn them out. The sneakers are still in the box and the other two pairs are in the mail. I think I got caught up in finally getting my foot properly measured and walking around in some shoes in-store. The service was also top notch. With that said, I think I'll return and just repurchase whatever is on sale. I'll also have some reward bucks from this purchase, so even if the shoe I really want doesn't go on sale, I can knock off some of the damage that way.

EDIT: I believe the sale is slated to begin on March 31st.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't worn them out. The sneakers are still in the box and the other two pairs are in the mail. I think I got caught up in finally getting my foot properly measured and walking around in some shoes in-store. The service was also top notch. With that said, I think I'll return and just repurchase whatever is on sale. I'll also have some reward bucks from this purchase, so even if the shoe I really want doesn't go on sale, I can knock off some of the damage that way.

EDIT: I believe the sale is slated to begin on March 31st.

Sounds smart.

I mean, if you want to keep one pair, that's what I'd suggest.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
Sounds smart.

I mean, if you want to keep one pair, that's what I'd suggest.
Honestly, if I can get one or two of them on sale, I'll do that then apply reward bucks toward the third. I also see one of the pairs in their current "seconds" offerings, so I might grab it from there.

dougc33

Reaction score
When you get to the Junior- and Senior-level courses they teach you how to pick them up on eBay for $50 or less...then you get 28 pairs for $1400!! My acquisition cost is closer to $35 and I've got >40 pairs so that math works too! (couple of nice $25 shell pairs in there too!)

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
When you get to the Junior- and Senior-level courses they teach you how to pick them up on eBay for $50 or less...then you get 28 pairs for $1400!! My acquisition cost is closer to $35 and I've got >40 pairs so that math works too! (couple of nice $25 shell pairs in there too!)
I'm working on it! lol. Still not comfortable with buying used shoes. Something about putting my foot where someone else once sweat is not my ideal. I'm sure I'll get there eventually, though. The savings are insane.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm working on it! lol. Still not comfortable with buying used shoes. Something about putting my foot where someone else once sweat is not my ideal. I'm sure I'll get there eventually, though. The savings are insane.

Lots of used shoes are worn just a few times or not at all beyond trying on.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got a pair of shell parks for 70 dollars.

I think i average 75 percent off retail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads