• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Al's Attire in San Francisco

erdavis

Reaction score
Saw this guy mentioned on Yelp and wanted to see if anyone knew of him he got great reviews.

Living in San Francisco I am desperate for that "almost winter, almost spring" jacket that I can throw on in the evenings to keep the cold bay area cold out.

Anyone got an experience with Al's Attire??

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A friend of mine got a coat made by Al. But, I have no personal experience. I think you should just go for it, get your nice winter/spring jacket made, then report back with pics.
smile.gif

adelphi

Reaction score
I just want to bump this up. I recently moved here and I saw their shop and want to know some reviews of the place

emptym

Reaction score
I went in on Sat. Interesting place. Thought it was a vintage store based on the storefront displays. He learned his stuff making costumes for theater. Looked good. Jackets I felt weren't canvased. Seems to be willing and able to do or try anything. They make shoes too. Looks like Self Edge works w/ them.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a denim t-shirt from Self Edge that was made by Al's Attire and it is flawless. The detailing on it is impeccable and the finishing is top notch. I would think a suit by him would be awesome.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
I have a denim t-shirt from Self Edge that was made by Al's Attire and it is flawless. The detailing on it is impeccable and the finishing is top notch. I would think a suit by him would be awesome.

I have a couple of those Al's Attire shirts for Self Edge at they're fantastic.

Handsewn buttonholes!

- B

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super nice guy, that Al. I bought some vintage tie bars from him and looked at the books of fabric. I may get something made, his style isn't mine, but saw the Repro Bowling shirts he was doing for Beams+ in Japan and my heart skipped a beat. Each shirt took about 5 days to make. Amazing stuff.

arrow

Reaction score
Greetings... Just happen to see this thread about Al, so I thought I could contribute... Unsanforized 1940's Denim Workshirt
3092067884_2679d4a921.jpg
3097875571_1eab20e05d.jpg
3091228071_d1fe3fc1ff.jpg
3091230161_3388f6910f.jpg
3091230721_b7418ba47a.jpg
Al's GT (Gentleman Traveler's) Work Boots
3158116605_47bd82c565.jpg
3158115695_3eebe4c397.jpg
3158114657_ace674a016.jpg
3158947528_f82af5ca0a.jpg
3158948616_2160012368.jpg
3158947256_50c6727bf6.jpg
I have some Gatsby style caps from Al as well... more pics to follow...thanks.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does he make those boots in anything other than black?

arrow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Does he make those boots in anything other than black?

I heard that Al started out as a boot maker years before he focused into bespoke tailoring so he's got some samples of ready made boots in the store. The only challenge is to actually find your size once you decide on a pair of boots. Unfortunately, they don't have an online store so you never know what's available. When I was in the store, he had a bad ass GT style boots in brown leather, cap toe with Cat's Paw, old school nails hammered at the bottom sole...the last pair. Another guy who works there, whose name is also Al, told me that they just got a full order of boots for the Japanese market (Beams store and some other retailer). So in short... just make an appointment with Al, show him your boots design... and he'll make it for you.

just thoughts

Reaction score
Anyone have any experiences with shoes made by Al? I went in to talk to him, and everything was going great, until he started steering me towards kidskin instead of calf as my leather choice. Apparently, he has trouble getting calf in certain colors, and I'm interested in a chestnut color for my shoes.

Also, what's the deal with quality with regard to kidskin? I know that the usual suspects use calf. An old SF post mentioned something about kidskin being used for uppers on cheaper shoes, and a google search turned up links to women's shoes...I couldn't find anything definitive, but I'm definitely suspicious now.

Should I avoid the kidskin route altogether and possibly find someone else?

silvermagenta

Reaction score
mmm, a lot of people here seem to like this store. how does he compare to other shirtmakers favored by the mc crowd?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads