• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iwhelan

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how they work with my New Standards. So far I have worn these jeans with more low profile shoes, like Asics Onitsuka Tigers, Adidas Samba K's, and Clarks Desert Boots. I'm not really into the skinhead look, but I just love the color and the design of the boots. I guess I'll find out if I like the slim jeans and boots.

-Ian

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I was in the Gucci store over last weekend and the salesgirl started talking to me and saying how much she liked the oxblood DMs I was wearing (MIE) and how she's worn them since the 90s and blah blah blah and how Gucci's designs dont look as good as DM blah blah blah...haha really nice chick, seemed to be into good music too like Bauhaus

the "vintage" DMs they reissued is the best thing the company has done in years. And you can say your shoes are from Northampton.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iwhelan
I'm curious to see how they work with my New Standards. So far I have worn these jeans with more low profile shoes, like Asics Onitsuka Tigers, Adidas Samba K's, and Clarks Desert Boots. I'm not really into the skinhead look, but I just love the color and the design of the boots. I guess I'll find out if I like the slim jeans and boots.

-Ian

I'm wearing New Standards with my black 1460s today. I think they look perfect but then again you said you don't dig "the look" so your opinion will most likely be different.

In fact, now that I think about it, I don't believe I ever wear my slimmer profile jeans with anything but docs whether they're 1460s or 1461s and even my grey brogues. I tend to like the juxtaposition of the slimmer look with chunky shoes.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
In fact, now that I think about it, I don't believe I ever wear my slimmer profile jeans with anything but docs whether they're 1460s or 1461s and even my grey brogues. I tend to like the juxtaposition of the slimmer look with chunky shoes.

cosign

I like the look of a skinny jean with the chunky shoes.....but it helps i dont wear a large shoe so it doesnt look too Ronald McDonald. but these days I only wear slim shoes with a slim trouser, slim jeans get the DM treatment (1460 and 1461)

constantine.

Reaction score
guys i'm headed to london in a week or so. where is the best place to get dr martens? flagship store or elsewhere?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
there's a DM flagship store in Covent Garden, that would be a good first stop

There's a stall at Camden Market on Kentish Town Road (off the Northern Line at Camden Town) iirc called British Boot Company that carries a lot of hard to get DMs and dm-styled shoes (grinders, gladiator, solovair, etc)...but their prices are on the high side, but some of it is impossible to find anywhere else so you pay a premium for the exclusivity

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constantine.
guys i'm headed to london in a week or so. where is the best place to get dr martens? flagship store or elsewhere?

Wherever you go, ask em when we'll be getting a crack at the damn tassel loafers!

iwhelan

Reaction score
I actually wore my New Standards today with my new DMs and I think they look fine. I didn't cuff them though, just wore them as-is. The cuff gives it "the look", which I don't dislike on others, but it's just not really my style. I think the slim jeans look good because it shows off the boot a bit more than a bootcut jean, that sits a bit lower on the boot.

-Ian

Originally Posted by dave
I'm wearing New Standards with my black 1460s today. I think they look perfect but then again you said you don't dig "the look" so your opinion will most likely be different.

iwhelan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
cosign

I like the look of a skinny jean with the chunky shoes.....but it helps i dont wear a large shoe so it doesnt look too Ronald McDonald. but these days I only wear slim shoes with a slim trouser, slim jeans get the DM treatment (1460 and 1461)

I have a size 12 US foot so that is more of a problem for me. Honestly, when I see DMs or some other boots on guys or girls with smaller foot, I think the proportions look a bit better. However, these MIE boots seem to have nice proportions that are different from the China ones... even if it is just subtly different in the toe? These are the first non-steel toe Doc Martens I have had too, so they are a bit more low profile than what I'm used to, which I love. I tend to dress a bit nicer than I did back in high school and college and don't want the DMs to scream too loudly. The color is pretty loud already... although I do intend to try to give them the darker look eventually with black/cordovan polish.

-Ian

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do the 10-inch Docs compare to 8-inch in feel/wear? I'd like a pair of the MIE/Vintage in oxblood, but everyone's out of stock on the 1460s, but the 1490s are available.

dave

Reaction score
they're not 8 and 10 inches but 8 and 10 eyelets. I prefer 1460s because I'm lazy nowadays and don't like relacing the extra 2 holes so I would hold out for the 1460s. beyond that i don't think you'd notice much difference. especially if you don't roll to the top of your boots. (and you shouldn't)

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've pretty much adopted the DM 8 eyelet blacks as a staple for my everyday 'uniform' I guess I should say; it is easy, cheap style. Nudie jeans, DM, and a hanes t-shirt, but the highly polished boots get compliments everyday.

implosionist

Reaction score
I recently had the sad experience of buying a new pair of Docs after a decade or more of not wearing them, only to find the cut and sizing had been altered fairly dramatically in the interim. Not quite the comfortable experience I remembered. Looked great, though...

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It took a long time to break in my MIC Chelseas, and a pair of MIC 1460s I got seemed smaller than they used to. The MIE 1460s I got recently are softer from the start and are a little larger.

amnesiac

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the consensus, or at least in my experience, my brother's, my friend's, and get smart's experience, from what i can remember, the MIC are a tad smaller. I'm stuck having to tough out slightly tight MICs though because one size up is just too much even with an insole.

I have a pair of brown pair of 1460s I wear pretty much everyday. 1461s used to be uniform for my school, which actually worked out great with our whole prep vibe. Anyhow, I'm getting the itch for black docs again, but I think i'm going to go for these especially with the doc martens store doing 35% off for the holidays
inlove.gif

12905001.jpg

James

These probably won't shine up like the normal smooth leather will they? The exel full analine leather bit really has me interested...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads